Page 1 of 2
What games did you like playing as a child that involved a reasonable amount of physical activity (which did not involve hooking something up to electricity)?

Examples:
  • Tag
  • Kickball
  • Hide and seek
  • Stickball
  • Pattycake
  • Sports
  • Hopscotch
  • Marbles
  • Running bases
  • Jump rope
  • Wallball

I spent my first seven years of life in the Philippines and have lived in the United States every year afterward, so I've got a mix of both. Back where I used to live, we were well off but lived by family by choice (who weren't well off) so my brother and I were exposed to people making do with what they had for entertainment. The fondest of these memories involved us playing a game called tumbang preso.

The equipment needed are an empty milk can or just simply any kind of can or bottle, and a slipper or a piece of flat stone as a pamato for each player. To make the game enjoyable and exciting, there should be no more than 9 players. One player guards the milk can (the IT) while the others stay behind the toe-line with their pamatos. The object is for the players to hit and knock down the milk can with the pamato, and for the IT to put back the can inside a small circle a few meters away from the toe-line. When a player is tagged while recovering his pamato, he becomes the IT.

I've played that a few times when I spent my summer there a few years ago, and it was still fun. The Philippines also had adopted games from the Western world and used 'em in their playgrounds- Chinese jump-rope (it's called Chinese garter over there) and marbles are a few examples.

But my favourite ones that are popular in Western civilisation were running bases, kickball, dodgeball, wallball.

Which ones did (or do) you like most?
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at May 21, 2015,
4-Square.

/thread
Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
Quote by Zaphikh
4-Square.

/thread

This was great, too, but I didn't play it as a child. I was only introduced to it in phys. ed. class in high school.
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
This was great, too, but I didn't play it as a child. I was only introduced to it in phys. ed. class in high school.

/

THREAD
4 square was the shit

Also, tetherball.

Lol@Zap just BANANA BOMBing chris with that post
spin the bottle

floor hockey

7 minutes in heaven

tonsil hockey

chicken or go

yeah

Quote by chrismendiola
This is literally the worst response to any thread.

No, this is:

*reported*
Oh god, I forgot about street hockey. So much rawer and street than the more fruity sport its based on

And Manhunt. Steal the Sticks... Marco Polo in pools
after they banned red rover at my elementary school, we played black jack instead
i don't know why i feel so dry
go fish

I remember despite moving to a lot of different elementary schools, everyone played soccer at recess. 4 square and tether ball were also common.

A lot of girls also had the skip it toy thing with the ball/hoop on the ankle.

Trading Pokemon cards was against the rules in 4th grade (around 1999) so people would go to the bathroom to trade.

In PE we played everything, including mixing sports. Handball with a second ball, a basketball. Baskets were 2 points and a handball goal was 1 point.

Baseball with kickball, you used a bat to hit a ball and there was no foul zone, you could tag people out by hitting them with the ball. Everyone tried to hit a home run or hit the ball out into the hallway.
Blocky.

it was basically a game of reverse tag, and you were safe if you reached the 'safe wall'.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
British Bulldog
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Tripovers.

The name is pretty self-explanatory. It was fun on grass, brutal on the playground. A kid in my class got his arm broken that way
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Anyone remember heads up 7 up?
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Guys, you heard Mr. Sacamano. No fun until racism is over.
I always climbed on the equipment and bars and such.

I used to be acrobatic
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
evan was the type of kid that never heard the bell when recess was over. no one would tell him, sohe'd be there on the monkey bars for ten minutes, and then slowly realising that the playground is empty. his heart races and his anxiety goes up. is school out? did i miss the bus? nope. you were just late for class and got a detention and that's what you get for being acrobatic
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Red light/Green light was pretty tight but I almost never won.
Wayne's World! Party Time! Excellent!
Party on Wayne. Party on Garth

Schecter Platinum C-1 Floyd Rose

Quote by Lord_Doku
Friendship and masturbation go a long way towards happiness. Until you have sex, then it's friendship and sex. And an empty wallet.
Enjoy? NOT electric games? You must have me confused.

Although I did play hacky sac with friends in high school everyday. That was fun.

Quote by hurricane0202
Anyone remember heads up 7 up?
I guess I did enjoy this. If not just because it was a nothing at school sort of day.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
dodgeball in PE was the best. we had this rivalry with one class in particular and sometimes we'd get in petty 12 year old fights. also it was the one thing where I was the MVP because when ur as skinny and agile as me + plus pissed-off 12 year old angst so I could dodge and throw pretty well.

recess when I was little was just sad so I'd rather not talk about it. that was when we formed the "sucky team" and all that. when I actually started liking recess was sixth grade (last year of elementary school in Mormonland) and that's when everyone is done with the normal recess stuff. usually just bantered, got in petty 12 year old fights, stupid "pranks" and other stupid shit, during winters ****ed around with the snow, during summer/spring played basketball 'cause there were a couple of hoops. you could really see my #skinnyemoasseater days already developing 'cause I played basketball and gossiped with the girls while the boys played football or something. I was always the worst at basketball in any given match. there was more creative stuff too but I'm having a hard time remembering atm.

later on floor hockey was a blast in 10th grade PE 'cause it basically was just banter and we named our team The Facials and the teacher just rolled with it. /GREAT STORY
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Apr 20, 2015,
Quote by Zaphikh
4-Square.

/thread

We had this big group of like 20 or so people that would play 4 square every day at recess for like 3 years straight. No other playground game ever got nearly as intense.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
floor hockey was a mixture of people trying really hard because hockey and people trying to hurt the goalies with shots because banter

i remember first day of grade 7 and our gym teacher just tosses out some basketballs and says we are playing dodgeball. that was probably the cruelest i have ever treated fellow humans in my life, i pelted some nerds
Quote by Thrashtastic15
basketballs...dodgeball.

that's hilariously cruel
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by Thrashtastic15
i remember first day of grade 7 and our gym teacher just tosses out some basketballs and says we are playing dodgeball. that was probably the cruelest i have ever treated fellow humans in my life, i pelted some nerds

You must be old as **** or you had a teacher who didn't have a conscience, 'cause that shit would not fly these days. Or maybe Canada is way less strict on student safety.

Senior year (so like two years ago), we were playing a permutation of dodgeball with nerf balls and the gym teachers got some shit for it from the phys. ed. supervisor.

One thing did happen, though, which my gym teacher senior year regrets allowing, we coined it "human bowling" and it was a running joke all year 'round. He gave us those scooter thingies and some bowling equipment (pins and balls). He designed a game for us but we had other ideas. IIRC, it was my idea because as you all know, I'm a hilarious creative genius. As you've probably worked out, we pushed one another on the scooter thingy and became human bowling balls. The whole class was doing it for practically the entire hour and the gym teacher likes to pretend it never happened.
Free Ali
Quote by slipknot5678
dodgeball in PE was the best. we had this rivalry with one class in particular and sometimes we'd get in petty 12 year old fights. also it was the one thing where I was the MVP because when ur as skinny and agile as me + plus pissed-off 12 year old angst so I could dodge and throw pretty well.

recess when I was little was just sad so I'd rather not talk about it. that was when we formed the "sucky team" and all that. when I actually started liking recess was sixth grade (last year of elementary school in Mormonland) and that's when everyone is done with the normal recess stuff. usually just bantered, got in petty 12 year old fights, stupid "pranks" and other stupid shit, during winters ****ed around with the snow, during summer/spring played basketball 'cause there were a couple of hoops. you could really see my #skinnyemoasseater days already developing 'cause I played basketball and gossiped with the girls while the boys played football or something. I was always the worst at basketball in any given match. there was more creative stuff too but I'm having a hard time remembering atm.

later on floor hockey was a blast in 10th grade PE 'cause it basically was just banter and we named our team The Facials and the teacher just rolled with it. /GREAT STORY

dodgeball was legit cant go wrong with them long lean limbs eh? nice bud

i was actually so shit at basketball though short & completely uncoordinated just a recipe for disaster good thing i was friends with this 6 foot tall trini kid who always picked me to be on his team.. here we are 9 years old and this guy's already got a beard just snatching up every single rebound sending it back out to his teammates for the wide open 3s since literally everyone tried teaming up on him.. if we were having off-days (which was like every single time we played basketball) he'd just take it out and do everything by himself whatta champ :')

i keep telling yll the banter is the best part.. when you're a small kid you gotta have a slick tongue if ya wanna survive but then you sure as hell gotta back it up AKA not be a total european out there on the yard.. yr boys won't have any problems having yr back but only if you got theirs AND you're not expecting them to fight your wars for you like some bush league greaseball shit's reciprocal like that rules of the playground yknow? my school was cliquey a.f. and we had rivalries like the old norris division but i miss that shit it was too much fun

pioneered my skinny emo ass eater cred with the sticks though.. like i said earlier, small & uncoordinated but that didn't even matter. my gym shirt was like 3 sizes too big and the girls watching would call me chicken legs but i just tucked that shit into my pants like petr sykora #39 in the 5th ot and owned it.. yea the other team would try and talk shit but that's when you know yre in their heads frustrating them by blocking every shot without hesitation and dumping it into their zone didn't even have to chirp em back before they'd start running around like a buncha heated fools and we'd take the game. i probably scored like 8 goals in my entire life but my crew rarely lost cuz of all that HEART (plus it helps that we had the trini kid in net lmao)

Quote by MinterMan22
dodgeball was legit cant go wrong with them long lean limbs eh? nice bud

i was actually so shit at basketball though short & completely uncoordinated just a recipe for disaster good thing i was friends with this 6 foot tall trini kid who always picked me to be on his team.. here we are 9 years old and this guy's already got a beard just snatching up every single rebound sending it back out to his teammates for the wide open 3s since literally everyone tried teaming up on him.. if we were having off-days (which was like every single time we played basketball) he'd just take it out and do everything by himself whatta champ :')

i keep telling yll the banter is the best part.. when you're a small kid you gotta have a slick tongue if ya wanna survive but then you sure as hell gotta back it up AKA not be a total european out there on the yard.. yr boys won't have any problems having yr back but only if you got theirs AND you're not expecting them to fight your wars for you like some bush league greaseball shit's reciprocal like that rules of the playground yknow? my school was cliquey a.f. and we had rivalries like the old norris division but i miss that shit it was too much fun

pioneered my skinny emo ass eater cred with the sticks though.. like i said earlier, small & uncoordinated but that didn't even matter. my gym shirt was like 3 sizes too big and the girls watching would call me chicken legs but i just tucked that shit into my pants like petr sykora #39 in the 5th ot and owned it.. yea the other team would try and talk shit but that's when you know yre in their heads frustrating them by blocking every shot without hesitation and dumping it into their zone didn't even have to chirp em back before they'd start running around like a buncha heated fools and we'd take the game. i probably scored like 8 goals in my entire life but my crew rarely lost cuz of all that HEART (plus it helps that we had the trini kid in net lmao)

yeah. my elementary school was a year-round school (I think this is some pretentious thing they do now idk but in Utah it was 'cause of school overpopulation 'cause Mormonland you know?) and it was divided into "tracks". basically each track had two teachers that followed the same schedule. there were normal cliques and stuff but in a loose sense we in some form felt a kinship with most of the people in the our own track. A and C trackers kind of broke that rule and just formed cliques with whoever but B and D track were more unified. us good old D trackers had this dumb rivalry with the B tracker kids (who mostly lived on that neighbourhood next to the school which was way richer than where us trash D trackers came from lol). one day a B tracker (who was our arch nemesis for always talking shit) spits in a D track girls face and I, feeling 2edgy, just walk up and punch him. keep in mind I'm the skinniest emo in the school. the dude just starts crying (later three of his friends "jumped me" and pulled knives but didn't really do shit LOL SO SCARY). whole school surrounds us and he just walks off and I felt like a total dick. but then a friend I had (dude who always won for us in sports) who is quite ripped for a 12 year old comes up, raises my arm in front of the crowd, puts his hand around my arm and gives this epic, triumphant speech on how even skinny emo kids can stand up to injustice. he says something like "look at his arm. I can fit my hand around his entire arm. but even he took out the biggest shit head in the school" and he basically makes it out to be a david vs. goliath story. everyone starts cheering and for like an hour starts singing "Will's the jolly good fellow" and this kid's playground cred was forever ruined. felt like a total dick but at the same time it felt like a triumphant moment. :') people treated me like a hero well into middle school. this actually happened when I was walking past a table of girls in the cafeteria like two years later. "you guys know Will? Will ____? yeah he's supposed to be a total pussy but I heard that one day he beat up ____" and then the whole table gasps. now that kid's also a #seae and plays runescape lol.

boring story (lamest "fight" in history lol) that I've told three times on UG but now with the #seae clan it's more relevant than ever. :')

definitely developed my skinny emo ass eater cred during this era. the whole cockatoo thing? that shit didn't just come from nowhere. :')

also I feel you on the basketball stuff. always good to have that one good friend. I'm uncoordinated as ****. baseball was even worse though. I'm allergic to the sun so I'm sitting there just melting alive and it's just a tiny ball that ur supposed to hit with a tiny bat and then you look up right into the sun and shit hits you in the face **** that game.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Apr 20, 2015,
cops & robbers. that got banned though because the teachers didn't like us making guns with our hands.

panty-grab. one girl is "it" and all the boys have to break through the line of girls defending her to put their hands up her skirt and grab her butt. the girls had a number advantage because they'd only let 3 boys play at once vs a dozen girls. that game never got banned though.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Page 1 of 2