I picked up an early ninety's MiJ Epiphone Sheraton a few months ago and after some fiddling, (heavier strings, stainless steel refret, new saddles, ect,,,) it plays great and the feel is there but the sound just isn't all the way yet.

The pickups aren't horrible just dull and flat, pretty lifeless.The only real problem is that they’re EXTREMELY microphonic which is a major PIA when I’m playing with a band. I would just wax them myself, but since the pickup selector needs replaced and the local store is giving me a nice deal on electronic work I thought I might as well get some new pickups.

The guitar has CTS Pots.

I play a wide range of stuff, but it’s mainly in the Blues, Blues-Rock and 90’s Alternative realms. Im starting to get into some more spacey shoegaze/ambient/psychedelic stuff as well.

So I need decent cleans and nice drive sounds.

I am not limited to humbuckers (it’ll have to be available in a humbucker size of course), and I’m open to some more untraditional pickup types. I mainly use the neck pup for my leads & more jazzy clean chords and I use the Bridge for most rhythm stuff.

In the neck I want a smooth, creamy tone with lots of sustain. Think BB King, Wall-era Gilmour, maybe even Brian May to some degree; But a touch thicker.

In the bridge I want something with some punch, that’s kind of aggressive and is crisp. I really like the rhythm sounds of Foo Fighters, the rhythm parts on EVH’s 1984, and the Smashing Pumpkins.

I do want the pickups to be clear and articulate.

I’ve been looking really hard at the TV Jones T-Armonds and the Duotrons as they have really nice cleans and I usually like gretsch pickups with gain, but I’m having trouble finding a demo that’s does more than just play rockabilly.

I play through a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 5 and a 1x12 with a Vintage 30, but I’m planning on picking up a Vox shortly. and if it matters, I play a fair bit with chorus and octave effects.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
I'd look at bkp, Anderson or rio grande. If you want something cheaper wolfetones are great.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
You almost can't go wrong with the TV Jones, TBH. Here's a guy playing a little electric blues with some Duotrons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s73TSnvt8vQ&sns=em

However, I'd also look at Rio Grandes and BKPs, as suggested, and The Creamery. Lollars and Vintage Vibe as well.

A step down from those in price and worthy of consideration would be offerings from Lace, Tesla and RailHammer.

As for TYPE, you might consider a clean HB-sized P90 for the neck. The better ones I've heard sound amazing for clean jazzy & blues tones. Here's an example from Vintage Vibe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBPPYdHdCI8&sns=em

Another dark horse suggestion would be a Charlie Christian pickup. A few makers make them; I have a Teleclone with a VV one in the bridge. This guy has one in the neck of his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-8CUzhQwlo&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iGijHR0eZc&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 19, 2015,
Your budget would need to be considered as always because no point recommending PUPs when you can't pay for them BKP can be pretty expensive espicailly if your in the US.

The first thing that came to mind is seymour duncan Phat cats (just popped into my head when reading your post I may edit other suggestions). There a P90 humbucker sized pick ups, decent prize and should give you a good hit in the mids and highs.

I'm going to say to sound like those player is an impossible task, I remember watching a rig rundown of brian may's set and the tech guy (maybe just kissing ass) said that he's seen other guitarist use brians rig that he set up through the years and they just never sound like him. Maybe you know that already, sorry if it comes off patronizing. I always personally go for just taking what sounds good and hopefully these suggestions lead you to what sounds good or lead you astray like I personally think most of them do. Getting off topic

Phat cats are a pretty decent price and a change of pace from traditional humbuckers. Check em out. I will add again that pick ups are always hard to really capture the sound off because once there in your guitar and being played by you they will always sound very much different to what you hear from demonstrations.
Man, I'd drop some Seymour Duncan PRails in there with the rad pickup rings that have the switches on them. They sound rad and are about as flexible as you could ever want.
Quote by itsonlyauser
Your budget would need to be considered as always because no point recommending PUPs when you can't pay for them BKP can be pretty expensive espicailly if your in the US.

I thought my budget was in the OP

I'd like to keep it around $300 for the pair.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Another dark horse suggestion would be a Charlie Christian pickup. A few makers make them; I have a Teleclone with a VV one in the bridge. This guy has one in the neck of his.

The CC sounded great! Do you know of any in a Humbucker size?
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Quote by Cathbard

Excellent suggestion- Cathbard's been praising those since I turned him onto Rio Grande a while back. With his hands-on experience, if anyone on UG knows what you can get out of the Dirty Harrys, it's him!

Quote by boblittle

The CC sounded great! Do you know of any in a Humbucker size?

VV has you covered. It's a one man show helmed by a Pete Biltoft, and he basically custom winds whatever you order from him. Here's a picture from his gallery.
http://vintagevibeguitars.com/windows/HCC_HS90TeleWin.html

I think, but I'm not sure, that some of the other modern CC makers also make HB versions.

Edit: yep- here's Lollar's CC page.
http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=charlie-christian-pickups

And a demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awz14aRNteU&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 20, 2015,
The "My band" link in my sig is a Dirty Harry in the bridge of a tele straight into my RM100 with a SLO module.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Damn it- I gotta remember to buy your CD!