Have you ever listened to demos of an amp on youtube and disliked it but tried it out in person and loved it? Conversely, have you ever loved the sound of an amp on youtube but hated it in person? If so, which amp was it and why the change of heart?
This happens regularly. Playing style, cabinets, speakers, guitars, mics, and everything else all play such a huge factor that I only ever use videos as a reference. As someone who is also trying to start regularly demoing gear I find that my ear has good and bad days. Sometimes hella bad days.

That said, I think the only amp I've ever heard online and disliked was my Laney AOR 50.
Pretty sure I like my Rockerverb more than any video has been able to display.
Just consider youtube a rough guide to begin your search. I see a lotta guys on youtube who don't understand how to use the amp and sound lousy. I see a lotta guys in music stores who don't know how to use the amp and sound lousy. If a great amp sounds lousy when you play through it the amp is not the problem.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 19, 2015,
Literally every Marshall.
I love the sound, but I can't get with the way the amp feels

I loved the way my H&K sounded online, It's a completely different story now ahaha!
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Last edited by boblittle at Apr 19, 2015,
Quote by boblittle
Literally every Marshall.
I love the sound, but I can't get with the way the amp feels

I'm kinda sorta the opposite in that I love the sound of JCM2000 DSLs online, but mine sounds like a box of particularly angry bees. I think it's time for some re-valving...
I saw a valveking demo and it sounded great (didn't want to buy it at the time); bought it myself sometime later and it was muddy as all hell.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.