Long story short, I'm in the market to get a new guitar. I need some suggestions by tomorrow c:

I play primarily Church Worship music. I dabble a lot in alternative, jazz, blues, shoegaze, grunge, and super-post rock, among other genres, with Worship music. A few standard song samples: I also enjoy playing metal of all types (80's, Djent, Core, etc.) but this guitar will be used primarily for Worship.

Budget is <$1000 USD. Single coil sounding humbuckers (I hate muddy humbuckers), passives, solid body. I use mostly the neck pup on my current. Stacked singles are fine too. I would like 24 frets but I also would like a tele style. 22 minimum. I dig jazzmaster too, along with jaguar, strat, etc.

I'm open to most things as long as I don't have to deal with hum. Tremolo would be neat (bigsby/jazzmaster style) but no floyd. I'm going to have to buy from Guitar Center. Also any tips for trying/buying at GC would be rad.

I would go with a Washburn again, but I'm not too sure how well their recent series will fare with my styles. It seems their guitars are mostly made for metal, then again my X-30 probably was too.

If color is a thing, white, deep purple, and dark blue are nice.

Thanks for your suggestions. As always, I'm going to have to do in-store searching and testing. But a light to follow would be nice.

what happened was i smashed my old guitar
my guitar cut out this morning for half the set. one of the jack wires disconnected. i've fixed the connection but i'm still getting some discrepancies. i've also needed a new guitar for a while now, and i've been offered to get one.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 19, 2015,
I made the mistake of asking to see the brand new American standard HSS strat. I've been fixating on the new humbucker they're putting in those and I hadn't even heard one live yet.

Now I'm obsessing again. It's a very single coil sounding humbucker. The salesman was digging it too. He said it reminded him of the Clapton mid-boost sound except that it didn't push the signal the way the active mid boost circuit does. Going from middle position to the bridge gave a fuller, more mid-focused sound. It made almost no change in volume and it didn't push the amp (deluxe reverb) any harder than the single coils did. I was very impressed.
Allow me to be predictable: Reverend. I have 4.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/

And GC carries them.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Reverend-Guitars,Guitar.gc?src=Reverend+Guitar&ipp=25&internal=1&browser=&fsrc=Reverend%20guitar&o=1

None are 24 fret.

They're made with korina bodies. MiK, inspected & set up at the home office in Detroit. With good pin-lock tuners and graphite nuts, tuning is a breeze and very stable.

The Bass Contour control gives you command of your lower notes like the Tone Control does the higher ones. Result- tonal flexibility that can get you as twangy as a HB can be.

They do have a pair of sig models based on the Telecaster body, but they're over $1000, new. OTOH, the Charger body style- seen on the Charger, Flatroc, Buckshot and a few others, is evolved from the Tele- same basic control layout on a curvier body.

Some models have Bigsbys installed standard or as an option. The other ones with trems use Wilkinsons.

Of their various models, something like the Charger HB or Jetstream HB would be the most obvious choice, but given your stated tonal preferences, I'd look hard at the models with RevTrons- like the Flatroc and the Club King (a semihollow)- to get a slightly twangier tone. RevTrons were inspired by the classic FillerTrons pickups of Gretsch fame.

Their P90 equipped axes might appeal to your ear as well.

Finally, the Double Agents- available in 2 body styles- have a HB in the bridge and a P90 in the neck.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 19, 2015,
The Gretsch Jet is the first thing that came to mind reading your post.

• It has an LP like shape, but come in a double cut as well
  • Most have a Bigsby
  • Has either filtertrons or Dynasonics', which are some of the nicest pickups ever made. (The 'trons are humbuckers, but they're probably one of the clearest sound pickups. Simular to singlecoils, yet different)
  • Are used a lot in Worship, Shoegaze, Ambient, Post-XXX, ect... Even Chris Cornell used on for a while in Soundgarden.

The two pickup ones.

I'd also recommend a Corvette,The Patrick Stump Model is surprisingly nice if you can get past the name.

]
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Quote by boblittle
The Gretsch Jet is the first thing that came to mind reading your post.

• It has an LP like shape, but come in a double cut as well
  • Most have a Bigsby
  • Has either filtertrons or Dynasonics', which are some of the nicest pickups ever made. (The 'trons are humbuckers, but they're probably one of the clearest sound pickups. Simular to singlecoils, yet different)
  • Are used a lot in Worship, Shoegaze, Ambient, Post-XXX, ect... Even Chris Cornell used on for a while in Soundgarden.

The two pickup ones.

Good suggestion. They also make the same guitar as a 12-string, FWIW. Sounds a lot like a classic Rick12...but at a fraction of the price.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

what about a peavey wolfgang? a little different but nice. here are pics of mine (NO! not for sale ) no SC though, but you could add a coil tap. i paid under $400 for each of mine and MIA. you could use the $600 to replace the VK .

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Will Lane

I'm open to most things as long as I don't have to deal with hum.
I'm going to have to buy from Guitar Center. Also any tips for trying/buying at GC would be rad.

My tip for trying/buying at GC would be: Avoid.
Second tip: Do NOT buy guitars off the wall. Always get a New In Box Never Touched By Guitar Denter Hands version of whatever guitar you buy. Have it shipped to the store, unbox it there and Take The Box With You.

Quote by Will Lane
what happened was i smashed my old guitar
my guitar cut out this morning for half the set. one of the jack wires disconnected. i've fixed the connection but i'm still getting some discrepancies. i've also needed a new guitar for a while now, and i've been offered to get one.

If you're "getting some discrepancies" you haven't "fixed the connection." Jack wires don't disconnect themselves, of course, so you've been screwing in the loose nut without preventing the jack from rotating. Learn how to do that, and, better yet, put a bit of Loctite on the screw threads.

You smashed your old guitar? Is this likely to happen with a new guitar in your Worship band?

My suggestion is that you spend a bit of time looking through the used guitars section of the Guitar Denter website. Alternatively, you might consider one of the brand new Variax Standard guitars or even a Variax JTV-69 (strat model). Fender-style trem, Fender strat-style body, single coil pickups, etc., etc. and all that modeling goodness available at the switch. They don't show up a GC's much these days (something about GC not paying its bills),but if you can find one to try, definitely do that. You CAN order it through GC (I've actually ordered in two Variaxeses from them). You need to know a couple of things before you do, including that the "acoustic" models really need to be listened to through a PA or another full-range system. They sound like crap through a standard limited-range guitar speaker, just as any miked acoustic would.
Quote by dspellman
My tip for trying/buying at GC would be: Avoid.
Second tip: Do NOT buy guitars off the wall. Always get a New In Box Never Touched By Guitar Denter Hands version of whatever guitar you buy. Have it shipped to the store, unbox it there and Take The Box With You.
That's what I was most worried about: buying off the wall. I generally know what to look for and what to avoid with guitar quality from the walls. But in the event that Guitar Denter (funny) doesn't have a new in box guitar in the back, I'd hate to have to wait for a new one to get to the store. At that point, I would just get from online.
Quote by dspellman
If you're "getting some discrepancies" you haven't "fixed the connection." Jack wires don't disconnect themselves, of course, so you've been screwing in the loose nut without preventing the jack from rotating. Learn how to do that, and, better yet, put a bit of Loctite on the screw threads.
No, I've been very careful to avoid turning the jack. I used to not know what to do back in the day, and it has been repaired before. This is the second time. I had to remove the "patch" leads from the old job and use two new leads to extend lead to the jack. I didn't have any electrical tape or shrink wrap, so I had to use liquid tape. I think the ground and hot crossed a bit, as I was getting low signal every now and again. I fixed that again by covering the leads better. But I see problems in the future, and at this point it would just be better to use that guitar as a backup and have a new one as primary use.
Quote by dspellman
You smashed your old guitar? Is this likely to happen with a new guitar in your Worship band?
That was a joke.
Quote by dspellman
My suggestion is that you spend a bit of time looking through the used guitars section of the Guitar Denter website. Alternatively, you might consider one of the brand new Variax Standard guitars or even a Variax JTV-69 (strat model). Fender-style trem, Fender strat-style body, single coil pickups, etc., etc. and all that modeling goodness available at the switch. They don't show up a GC's much these days (something about GC not paying its bills),but if you can find one to try, definitely do that. You CAN order it through GC (I've actually ordered in two Variaxeses from them). You need to know a couple of things before you do, including that the "acoustic" models really need to be listened to through a PA or another full-range system. They sound like crap through a standard limited-range guitar speaker, just as any miked acoustic would.
Neat. If any are at GC, I'll check them out as well.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 20, 2015,
Quote by JBailey23
Would this tickle your fancy?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-cmm1-chris-miller-signature-electric-guitar

I'm GAS'ing hardcore for it at the moment. Not a bad price for it.

Nice!

The aforementioned Reverend Double Agent is what got me looking at Reverends in the forts place- it was one of the few sub-$1000 guitars that came with a bridge HB and a P90 in the neck. Now they're popping up all over!

I don't have my Double Agent- yet- but I DO have a guitar with that pickup array. I have found to to me VERY nice and tonally flexible.

With that in mind, if you dig that, in addition to the Ibanez and Reverend, you should consider the G&L Fallout. I don't recall if they make a USA version- if they do, it will probably be over $1000, new- but the Tribute line is quite affordable. Tributes are made in Indonesia, with most of the same parts as their pricier USA-made cousins. Overall, that comes together as a product comparable to MiM Fenders and many MiK guitars in overall quality. Good bang for the buck.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/G-L-Tribute-Fallout-Electric-Guitar-109569871-i3319435.gc

what about a used prs ce?

also learn to solder. The jack is a two minute fix.

or an Ibanez S series.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Apr 20, 2015,
So I definitely went against everyone's advice and I ended up with a 72 Reissue Deluxe Tele. Surf green, thinline. I did try to find some of the other guitars suggested, but I didn't see any other than the PRS CE, wasn't too impressed. Of course I did see a plethora of Ibanez guitars, but none seemed to suit me. I'll do a NGD review soon with guitar pron of course. c:
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 21, 2015,
72 Reissue Deluxe Tele. Surf green, thinline.

That should do a good job of meeting your intended purpose!