Hi all,

I quite recently restringed my acoustic nylon guitar. I did this for the first time with an acoustic guitar and I'm wondering if everything is ok with my work, because now the guitar has major problems in staying correctly tuned. I know new strings tend to stretch easily, but the tuning drops a whole semitone every night! Is this normal?
Welcome to the fascinating world of new nylon strings. They stretch. A lot. For a while. Not much to do about it.... Keep a tuner on your guitar and keep tweaking. Usually takes at least a week. Normally, the bass (wound) strings will settle in first, then the trebles.

I just got a new Cordoba, and it came with the high tension Savarez "crystal" strings, their version of the new carbon-reinforced jobs. They are entirely different. The trebles settled in almost immediately. However, the bass strings still have to be tuned every time I pick the thing up.
Quote by Bikewer
Welcome to the fascinating world of new nylon strings. They stretch. A lot. For a while. Not much to do about it.... Keep a tuner on your guitar and keep tweaking. Usually takes at least a week. Normally, the bass (wound) strings will settle in first, then the trebles.

I just got a new Cordoba, and it came with the high tension Savarez "crystal" strings, their version of the new carbon-reinforced jobs. They are entirely different. The trebles settled in almost immediately. However, the bass strings still have to be tuned every time I pick the thing up.

Yep, it's like Bikewer says ^^^^. Nylon strings take a while to settle - a week is not unusual - and even when they've settled they still need tuning more often than steel strings.

It's the price you pay for playing nylon strings - but it's well worth it.
For sure your problem is solved by now but against next time this is the solution to make it quicker, reduce that week of stretching to a day or two...as the string is strung up, place the guitar flat on a table, use your thumb and press on the string, now while pressing take your remaining four fingers and dig them under the string and pull upward, all while pressing downward with the thumb, this would stretch the string, repeat in all areas of the string all the way down the fretboard, repeat with other strings
Quote by pokeyasd
Hi all,

I quite recently restringed my acoustic nylon guitar. I did this for the first time with an acoustic guitar and I'm wondering if everything is ok with my work, because now the guitar has major problems in staying correctly tuned. I know new strings tend to stretch easily, but the tuning drops a whole semitone every night! Is this normal?

Perfectly normal - It can take a day or two, or more, for those strings to set depending on how much you play them. Always change them several days before a show!