Hello, I recently played on a 1972 Gibson SG Custom, 3 pickups, and it had the tone that I just love, I'd buy that guitar, but it costs far too much, if anyone knows any alternative pickups, help would be massively appreciated. I have already tried looking at vintage pickups, but they go for too much aswell.

Thanks
The amp matters far more than what pickups you use.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Look at the Epiphone G-400 Custom. I'm not sure they still make them but it is a three pickup SG style Epiphone. It sold originally for $500.00 and is a replica of an early 1960's Les Paul Custom (SG style) I think what you are hearing that you like is the mix of that center pickup with the bridge or neck pup. I like that tone also and have a three pickup Les Paul Black Beauty with a similar sound. That center pickup adds some nice tone variety that I don't get on any of my other Les Paul's.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 20, 2015,
Thanks for the replies, my amp is a 94 Fender Twin, it sounds fine, and it was mainly the bridge pickup I played on, so I'm not sure it was that. Thanks for the suggestions though.
70's Gibsons mostly came with T-Top pickups IIRC. Short A5 mags and hotter winds compared to early PAFs among other things.

Manlius makes a decent T-Top clone if you don't want to buy older Gibson pickups. Another option is to modify a 490R(neck pickup) and replace the long bar A2 for a short A5 magnet.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Shouldn't be any problem finding pickups that mimic the ones that came stock with a '72. At that point, Gibson hadn't begun doing hotter pickups yet (in fact, Gibson's first "hot" pickups were in the '72 L6S), but they had standardized the number of winds, switched to polyurethane-coated coil wire from enamel, standardized on a thinner A5 magnet, and measured resistance was around 7.5Kohm. Both (all three on that Custom) pickups were identical (it would be ten years before manufacturers began putting a neck pickup with a lower output than the bridge pickup in guitars) on vintage guitars. The T was a tool mark that helped workers orient the bobbins correctly more quickly.

You should know that there's more at work on that old SG than just the single pickup to get that sound. One is the construction of the SG itself (long neck glued into the body in a whole different place compared to an LP, thin body, etc.) and another is the influence of three pickups' magnets on the strings, whether they were actually feeding the amp or not. Don't expect to toss a T-Top on a random guitar and get the same sound.
T-top replicas would be a good starting place. Unless you go boutique there aren't many options for direct copies. Replacing the magnet on a 490 is a good idea, especially since they are cheap and easy to find used.

I suspect that the new-ish Duncan Whole Lotta Humbucker set ought to be close to a T-Top set, though I haven't played them yet. Page typically played T-Tops or a T-Top in the bridge and a hot PAF in the neck, which is a fabulous combination.

High Order pickups are still only $75 each new, which is nuts for a custom pickup, and I've heard good things about their T-Top replicas.

The other, tougher part of the equation of course is a really great SG. Do you really need the 3 pickups? You can have a lot more options and save some money by just getting a 2-pickup model. As dspellman says the third pickup is a factor, but not necessarily worth the cost of entry. There are plenty of fantastic 2-pickup SGs and clones out there and not nearly as many 3-pickup ones.
I understand that the guitar is gonna make a difference, it has an ebony board and wot-not, but if I can get close, that'd be great, I'm gonna check out all the suggested stuff, cheers everyone.