I need some help identifying an ES-335 I just picked up on craigslist. The previous owner thought it was a ’59 historic reissue but I think he was incorrect. For starters the serial # does not start with an “A”, there is no “Custom Shop” label on the back of the headstock, it has a serial # stamped on the back of the headstock, and the case doesn’t say “Custom”.

When I look up the model number it appears that it might be a Fat Neck Reissue. It definitely has a huge beefy neck. And it looks like a Fat Neck Reissue with the vintage style tuners and gold knobs. But the serial number of this guitar dates to 2005 and the final pack checklist is dated 1/24/06. And according to the Gibson website the Fat Neck Reissues didn’t come out until 2008. Also, this guitar has the short pickguard instead of the long pickguard that is supposed to come on the Fat Neck Reissues.

So what exactly do I have here? Is it a just a regular Dot reissue with a huge neck? It plays great and sounds awesome, and I got it for a good deal so I'm not worried that I got ripped off or anything. I would just like to know what I have in my hands. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Model number as listed on label inside the f-hole: ESDPA335
Model number as listed on final pack checklist: ESDPAEBNH1
Serial number: 02455727

Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2

Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2

Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
it's a 2005 Gibson ES 335 Dot. Made in Memphis.

standard 335 fare i would suppose.

final packing done in 2006, so technically a 2005 that left the factory late.
So, I'm probably displaying my ignorance here... but I thought all the Dot's had thinner 60's necks? I thought if you wanted a thicker neck you needed to get one of the reissues ('59 historic, Fat Neck, anniversary models, etc)? Or is it just less common to see a thicker neck on a Dot? All the ones I've played in stores over the years have all had skinny necks.
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Last edited by 57Goldtop at Apr 20, 2015,
Beautiful guitar. I'll bet it sounds amazing.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
ESDPA indicates that it's a Fat Neck 335. Not sure what it stands for but that's what it denotes. I've never seen it on anything else. It could have been a limited run or exclusive that was then brought into the standard line? Perhaps the initials would be a clue if someone knows what they stand for.

Slight variation on the Standard, it does look a bit like a Historic/RI which is probably why the previous owner was confused. Clearly they made some before 2008 because everything else is correct. Gibson can't even keep their own records straight, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they just got the date wrong on their site.

There are several ESDPA guitars that pop up on google searches from before 2008. I bet they were limited run and 2008 was the first year they were officially offered.
Quote by Rickholly74
Beautiful guitar. I'll bet it sounds amazing.

Yeah, it's got some serious mojo. Especially through the Mark V on the tweed channel. Talk about a match made in heaven! I'm still trying to get used to the size of the neck though. I know a lot of people love 'em but I have smaller hands so I usually gravitate towards thin necks. Can't argue with the tone though. It sounds amazing.
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by Roc8995
ESDPA indicates that it's a Fat Neck 335. Not sure what it stands for but that's what it denotes. I've never seen it on anything else. It could have been a limited run or exclusive that was then brought into the standard line? Perhaps the initials would be a clue if someone knows what they stand for.

Slight variation on the Standard, it does look a bit like a Historic/RI which is probably why the previous owner was confused. Clearly they made some before 2008 because everything else is correct. Gibson can't even keep their own records straight, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they just got the date wrong on their site.

There are several ESDPA guitars that pop up on google searches from before 2008. I bet they were limited run and 2008 was the first year they were officially offered.

Ok, that would explain it. Thanks. That's what I kept finding when I googled the ESDPA model number but the dates had me all confused.
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Memphis really gets to do its own thing...if one day they decided to put a fat neck on a dot and ship it out that's what will happen.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
That...is...sweet.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
That...is...sweet.

Thanks! And I just heard back from a guy why runs a website dedicated to 335 guitars. He said he knows more about the vintage models than the modern ones, but his guess was that it's a Dot Reissue with a 50's neck profile. I don't think the knobs are right for that, but I suppose somebody could have changed them at some point.
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Wouldn't a reissue have the CS logo on the headstock? Plus the label is wrong for a RI. Really, every sign points to a Fat Neck 335. Everything but that one mention of 2008 on the Gibson site is perfect, and I'd be more than inclined to assume that it's incorrect given everything else.
I think you're probably right. I was just offering that feedback as another opinion. He did admit to not knowing a ton about all the modern variations of the 335.
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2