Page 1 of 2
Does anyone wear ear plugs to music events? I've never before but I wanna maybe see Swans later this month but I also want to still hear sounds after it. What plugs do you use/what do you recommend? What's your loudest gig? Why don't bands fkn play at reasonable volumes?
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
steve_old man
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
ive not but it's a good idea to for sure
loudest gig was MF DOOM. standing three feet from one of the subwoofers. man it was intense.
after that, Childish Gambino or Explosions in the Sky
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Yes. Loudest gig is Swans, and going to see them without earplugs is deserving of the inevitable tinnitus that ensues. First time was louder as the second was a small venue.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
i've stood right next to an amp at a show and i'm ok.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Banjocal
Yes. Loudest gig is Swans, and going to see them without earplugs is deserving of the inevitable tinnitus that ensues. First time was louder as the second was a small venue.

Yea this is in a small venue. So you wore plugs? wat kind?
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by steve_muse
So you wore plugs? wat kind?

butt plugs
it's all coming back

Definitely wear earplugs and protect your hearing a bit. The music is gonna be loud as hell anyways, you'll still hear it fine.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i've stood right next to an amp at a show and i'm ok.

I've done this on 2 separate occasions, nothing like not being able to hear properly for two days.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
I've done this on 2 separate occasions, nothing like not being able to hear properly for two days.

nah, it was just the rest of the night for me. smaller show in a basement so maybe that's why it wasn't so bad.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Baby Joel
butt plugs

baby pls
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by jakesmellspoo
nah, it was just the rest of the night for me. smaller show in a basement so maybe that's why it wasn't so bad.

If anything a smaller indoor gig would be worse but I guess it depends on the type of music and how powerful the amps are.

I've stood by one of the amps before in a small indoor venue for at least two hours seeing a bunch of local metal/hardcore bands. I started my new job the next day and I could barely hear anyone talking to me.
Yeah earplugs are a good idea. Loudest show I've went to was just a regular dance music show, the artist playing didn't really have anything to do with the loudness, it was just the fact that it was a small club, filled less than halfway to capacity, with a loud sound system. I couldn't hear right for 2 days which sucked
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
There should be laws for that shit. #saveourears #oldmen2015
Quote by ErikLensherr

#buttplugsforeveryone
it's all coming back

Quote by MeTallIcA313
If anything a smaller indoor gig would be worse but I guess it depends on the type of music and how powerful the amps are.

I've stood by one of the amps before in a small indoor venue for at least two hours seeing a bunch of local metal/hardcore bands. I started my new job the next day and I could barely hear anyone talking to me.

well it was a hardcore/punk show, but i really only stood next to the amp for one band and then i was somewhere else when i came back down for the next set. i think that specific band had their volume up way louder than anyone else.

or at least it seemed that way to me, standing directly next to the amp.
Definitely wear earplugs! Loudest gig I went to was Motorhead in December '89, it took about a week for my hearing to get back to some sort of normality. The upshot of that sort of stuff is I now have tinnitus, so protect your ears while you can!!
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
I wear earplugs when I remember them

Converge is probably the loudest show I went to and luckily I didn't get tinnitus or anything
i probably should start wearing earplugs.

i occasionally get a little popping sound in an ear followed by ringing for a few minutes and i occasionally get a very minor earache/ear infection/pressure type feeling, but that could just be allergy/weather related.

like, i have that pressure feeling right now, but there's also a storm on the way, so
Good plan at a loud concert. They allow you to hear fine while knocking about 20db off the volume. Constant tinnitus from damaged hearing is highly overrated. I don't have much left above 5k these days. 3M sells a set for around $5.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 20, 2015,
My hearing couldn't get any worse, I don't go to shows, and if I do I stand way in the back so no need really.
Honestly, i just saw swans a few days ago. It was loud as hell but honestly my ears weren't even ringing afterwards. not that much anyways.
However i will warn you that everyone's backs hurt after the show from standing in one spot for two hours. totally worth it though.
Swans was already mentioned twice, but yeah, definitely the loudest show. I brought earplugs and my friend wore them (It was actually his first concert, a hell of one too) but I didn't wear them.
I was off to the right of the stage, in the very front right on it, and I only got minor tinnitus in my right ear for less than 24 hours.

On the topic of the concert, there was a mosh pit, but it was only one guy. It was great really, and I have to give him credit because he didn't stop freaking out the entire show, whereas the teenagers to the side of me were actually putting their head down on stage. Great show.
only been to one concert and i was able to hear the music more clearly with earplugs on than without

weird
ggg1 ggg3

I've heard from interviews from lots of different bands that ear-destroying concert volume pretty much has no upsides
Excessive loud volumes is a rampant problem these days. Even at a pub/bar the live band or DJ almost always make it unbearable. Don't know goddamn why.

Invest in a pair of studio earplugs if you're attending these scenarios a lot. The studio earplugs cost more but they preserve the clarity and accuracy in sound frequencies.

I just stick to jazz and classical concerts.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Apr 21, 2015,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Excessive loud volumes is a rampant problem these days. Even at a pub/bar the live band or DJ almost always make it unbearable. Don't know goddamn why.

Invest in a pair of studio earplugs if you're attending these scenarios a lot. The studio earplugs cost more but they preserve the clarity and accuracy in sound frequencies.

"Audiophiles are the worst."

(So-Cal, 2015)
Free Ali
Quote by Xiaoxi

I just stick to jazz and classical concerts.

Are they reusable? I just use generic drugstore earplugs right now because spending $40 on three sets of earplugs I'll use once isn't very economically viable for me right now, and I have the impression they're one-use.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Normally I would agree but in this case it's between hearing the music as it really sounds vs hear the music from under 3 ft of water.

Quote by necrosis1193
Are they reusable? I just use generic drugstore earplugs right now because spending $40 on three sets of earplugs I'll use once isn't very economically viable for me right now, and I have the impression they're one-use.

Yea just clean and reuse

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Apr 21, 2015,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yea just clean and reuse

Well then hot damn I need to buy a few pairs. Reusable earplugs that don't change the way things actually sound vs. disposable one-use earplugs that make everything sound like a blanket's on top? I've been on the wrong side of this.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Just search for musician's earplugs or studio earplugs!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by whywefight
I've heard from interviews from lots of different bands that ear-destroying concert volume pretty much has no upsides

There really isn't. I went to a hardcore show for the first time in forever earlier this month and a couple bands playing were so loud that I couldn't even make out the instruments, it just sounded like noise.

Part of the reason I like electronic music shows better lately, the sound tends to be at a much more reasonable level, at least at the venues I go to.
if yr head/sinuses/all that stuff are peehole like mine and you get headaches like peehole then ya do it every time

For those of you who've seen Swans, is it just 2 hours of walls of noise? cos that shit's not only unpleasant, it's flat out boring.

When I saw Mogwai this happened a lot, and it was in a big hall venue too. Still unbearable and shit.
Quote by ErikLensherr

I should probably get some good plugs.

Loudest gig I've been at was probably a small Norwegian (I think) band who made what I guess was supposed to be some kind of industrial/electronic black metal or whatever. Can't really say if it was as bad as I expected or not, because I literally couldn't hear anything they were playing.
Quote by steve_muse
For those of you who've seen Swans, is it just 2 hours of walls of noise? cos that shit's not only unpleasant, it's flat out boring.

When I saw Mogwai this happened a lot, and it was in a big hall venue too. Still unbearable and shit.

I thought Mogwai was supposed to be good live? I've never seen them but I was really close to going once until shit came up and had been wanting to see them the next time they come around.
Well I mean I suppose it depends what your idea of 'good' is for a live show. I was covering my ears at one point so..

cos they'd be playing at a reasonable level and i'd be enjoying the melodies and stuff and then the third guitar kicks in and it's just noise.
Quote by ErikLensherr

It's so worth getting ear-plugs.
I saw Arcade Fire last year in ear plugs and it was great. I actually took the ear plugs out in the middle of a song and the only difference was this really sharp treble-y distorted noise. I actually thought it was better with them in.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Pair-EAR-Clear-20-Reusable-Earplugs-FREE-UK-P-P-/330671858689?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4cfd942401
I have these & would fully recommend them^
Last edited by RajjaJroach at Apr 21, 2015,
Page 1 of 2