Hey guys, thanks to tax season i'm on the market for all sorts of new gear this month. This now includes a new 7 string. Do you guys have any suggestions around the 11-1200 dollar mark?

Looking for something with passive pickups, can't stand EMGs. Not really interested in another Agile guitar. Other then that feel free to bounce suggestions off of me. I'll give just about anything a look. Preferably wanting to stay away from the bolt on neck sort of stuff unless it's something particularly nice. If you have used suggestions then please only share used stuff thats in good condition. B stock is always a great idea by me.

Going to be playing it through my Peavey 6505, Axe Fx II Mark II, and my buddies Dual Rec mostly. GO!
That still leaves quite a few options, you're going to want to be more specific about what you want: preferred brands for example? Location? If those turn out to be Aussie dollars that changes things... Anything more in terms of what you prefer...

As a first reaction though, I think this is kind of what you want: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/schecter-guitar-research-keith-merrow-km-7-7-string-electric-guitar?rNtt=KM-7&index=1 A little under budget too, but I've heard nothing but good things about it!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Apr 20, 2015,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That still leaves quite a few options, you're going to want to be more specific about what you want: preferred brands for example? Location? If those turn out to be Aussie dollars that changes things... Anything more in terms of what you prefer...

Sorry you're absolutely right haha. USA. I'm really not too honed in on a theme that I'm going for yet. I do however really dig double cuts as opposed to single cuts. I also would like to find something with a hipshot bridge, I grew really tired of changing turnings on the 2 7 strings I owned that had floyd roses on them. 24 frets is a must.

As for brands that's really where I don't know where to start. I've owned several LTD's and they were pretty good. I know that in my criteria and price range they have 2 of the 3 whitechapel signature guitars. I've been told several times that the AW-7 has a particularly dark sort of muddy characteristic to its tone which is really not to my liking. Can't speak on the ZH-7

So far the best thing I've really seen is the Schecter Kieth Marrow 7 string with the hipshot bridge and the Seymour Duncan Nazgul Sentient combo. The neck through on it with the satin black back looks insane. I'll be keeping this one in mind as I wait for other suggestions.

Edit- Just checked out the link, what a coincidence ahaha.
Last edited by cheosamad at Apr 20, 2015,
Quote by cheosamad
Sorry you're absolutely right haha. USA. I'm really not too honed in on a theme that I'm going for yet. I do however really dig double cuts as opposed to single cuts. I also would like to find something with a hipshot bridge, I grew really tired of changing turnings on the 2 7 strings I owned that had floyd roses on them. 24 frets is a must.

As for brands that's really where I don't know where to start. I've owned several LTD's and they were pretty good. I know that in my criteria and price range they have 2 of the 3 whitechapel signature guitars. I've been told several times that the AW-7 has a particularly dark sort of muddy characteristic to its tone which is really not to my liking. Can't speak on the ZH-7

So far the best thing I've really seen is the Schecter Kieth Marrow 7 string with the hipshot bridge and the Seymour Duncan Nazgul Sentient combo. The neck through on it with the satin black back looks insane. I'll be keeping this one in mind as I wait for other suggestions.

Edit- Just checked out the link, what a coincidence ahaha.

I disagree about the AW-7, played one once and it was a damn fine guitar in every way. Gloss neck's not quite to my taste but that's just it; not my taste, certainly not a bad guitar at all.

There's this as well: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/schecter-guitar-research-hellraiser-c-1-passive-7-string-electric-guitar But it's always worth looking around a lot more to see what you can find, there's a lot of choice out there around your budget.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Why no bolt-ons? There's really no quality difference between a good bolt-on and a good set neck.

At 1100-1200 you have access to prestige Ibanez R and S seven strings which can be had with a fixed bridge.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Schecter KM7 is praised as one of the best 7s around a grand right now. A little under your budget but I really can't think of anything much better.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Schecter KM7 is praised as one of the best 7s around a grand right now. A little under your budget but I really can't think of anything much better.

Exactly what I was gonna suggest. That budget will also get you just about any 7 string Schecter makes, aside from a couple special models with upgrades like Sustainiac pickups and Floyds. I'd highly recommend checking them out. Lots of really nice sevens in that range.

A few that I would personally take in a heartbeat if I had the money right now:

KM-7

Banshee Elite

Blackjack A-7 This one's available in the standard double-cutaway shape, too, if you're not into the Avenger. That headstock, though...

C-7 Classic

All of those have passive pickups.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by the_bi99man
Exactly what I was gonna suggest. That budget will also get you just about any 7 string Schecter makes, aside from a couple special models with upgrades like Sustainiac pickups and Floyds. I'd highly recommend checking them out. Lots of really nice sevens in that range.

A few that I would personally take in a heartbeat if I had the money right now:

KM-7

Banshee Elite

Blackjack A-7 This one's available in the standard double-cutaway shape, too, if you're not into the Avenger. That headstock, though...

C-7 Classic

All of those have passive pickups.

The only thing I don't like about these suggestions is that I can't buy them all. The Banshee Elite is giving me some SERIOUS GAS. along with the KM7.

Edit- The only other thing I've really found that's caught my eye is the VGS Soulmaster 7 string with the evertune if I changed the pickups, would be sold on it if it was a neck through/set neck but I'll be keeping it in the back of my mind.
Last edited by cheosamad at Apr 21, 2015,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 21, 2015,
Quote by AcousticMirror
Why no bolt-ons? There's really no quality difference between a good bolt-on and a good set neck.

There's quite a bit of playability difference between a bolt neck and a neck-through with a smooth neck heel when you get into the upper frets.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Can you get a Carvin for that kind of money? I haven't looked at their price sheet in... ever.

Yep...some of their 7s start just under $1000, and one starts under $900. You should be fine as long as you don't go nuts on the options like exotic woods, flame tops, etc. Might not be as pretty as some at that price, but they're definitely going to be well made.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/sevenstring.php

Sometimes, they'll even have one in stock for immediate sale:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/120456
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 21, 2015,
I can vouch for the Banshee , or at least the one I played. It was at a small shop in Austin. Probably the best feeling 7-string instrument I've ever played, and I've owned/used a lot. However, whether they have been hit or miss on quality, I have no idea, so take it with a grain of salt.

EDIT: It also apparently has glow in the dark dots.
Last edited by delriodog at Apr 21, 2015,
Quote by delriodog
I can vouch for the Banshee , or at least the one I played. It was at a small shop in Austin. Probably the best feeling 7-string instrument I've ever played, and I've owned/used a lot. However, whether they have been hit or miss on quality, I have no idea, so take it with a grain of salt.

EDIT: It also apparently has glow in the dark dots.

Indeed it does. And Schecters are extremely consistent in quality. Great quality control, and every guitar gets set up at their California shop between the Korean factory and the dealers.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Well, isn't that just neat?

Also, that's good to hear, I've been really getting into Schecter recently.
Check out some of the Jackson Soloists. Also check the new for 2015 section of their site.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .

Hey guys, I actually just bought what will be my new 7 string. I was on ebay and found an auction from Halo Custom Guitars that had no reserve. It was their Merus 7 string model. This one came with a 27 inch scale length, an evertune bridge, bareknuckle juggernauts, and luminlay side dots. As a production model from halo this guitar starts at 1499, so I was shocked to have a chance to get it for much less then that.

I will get the guitar in a few weeks from Halo in California. I'm stocked. The only category this guitar didnt fit for me is that it is a bolt on neck. While not as good as some of the more expensive custom shop brand guitars bolt ons, it looks at least a lot better then the bolt on necks on cheaper guitars like some strats ect. I'm overall pretty excited about this guitar. How do you guys think this choice stacks up to the other options that were given to me? Really the only reason I didn't buy one of the other ones is because I actually payed less for this brand new guitar then I would have for the Schecter Banshee elite ect. I'm overall happy with this choice and I'll post about it when I actually get the guitar and play it.

Pictures below.

Damn that thing is sexy. Congrats on the find. Just about everything about that guitar makes it a steal for that price. Don't be worried about the bolt-on neck. If it's done well, a bolt-on can still play the higher frets just as nicely as a set or neck-thru. And this one looks like it's done well. Those pickups are boss, too. The Evertune bridge is also an expensive piece of hardware, so nice to get that, as well, even though I'm not personally a big fan of them. Would rather just have a good standard hardtail. Either way, though, very nice find. Enjoy.
Guitars
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
make sure to do a review! I'm looking into getting one of these as well. let me know how it is.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by the_bi99man
Damn that thing is sexy. Congrats on the find. Just about everything about that guitar makes it a steal for that price. Don't be worried about the bolt-on neck. If it's done well, a bolt-on can still play the higher frets just as nicely as a set or neck-thru. And this one looks like it's done well. Those pickups are boss, too. The Evertune bridge is also an expensive piece of hardware, so nice to get that, as well, even though I'm not personally a big fan of them. Would rather just have a good standard hardtail. Either way, though, very nice find. Enjoy.

Yeah, my girlfriend came over and watched the ebay timer countdown to zero with me and we were both ecstatic that I had the highest bid. I'm still in shock that I won this for what it went for. I was (for looks only, obviously this is both monetarily wasteful, and as for as getting a rig ready to go, inefficient) I was going to put these BKP Juggernauts up for sale for a bit under the new price and replace these with the covered gold juggernauts just because I think that would look boss. As for the bolt on I'm not too worried. It seems like they did a good job on the design of it so I will have my upper fret access.

Quote by AcousticMirror
make sure to do a review! I'm looking into getting one of these as well. let me know how it is.

I will review it for sure if people want me to. I have a relatively average history of guitar gear to help describe how I feel about it quality wise. I'm waiting for about 3-4 months to have a full recording rig ready to go. Since I'm currently running a mesa boogie dual rectifier I'm waiting to get a good overdrive pedal before I record with the Dual Rec since it's a muddy amp by nature. I'm also waiting until I learn exactly ho to use a Sansamp Bass Driver DI system to record bass directly so that I can track full instrumentals with it.

In the meantime I will for sure do a written review of the guitar, it will just be a long time before I can record it for you guys.
Quote by AcousticMirror
you don't have to sell the pickups you can just change covers.

Oh really? I wasn't aware of that. Is there a way for me to purchase the covers directly?