I currently own a godin redline hb. I want to buy an amp but my budget is 200$. I have been looking at some of the amps. These amps caught my eyes: Peavey vypyr 30, vox vt40+, and mustang ii 40 watts. I usually play classic rock to heavey metal. Also some good clean tones would be great. Which one should I pick? Also, Any other amp in that range better than this three?
Last edited by gorakhvinit at Apr 21, 2015,
For metal, you want the Vypyr. Possibly the most recommended modelling amp on these forums, I'm thinking of getting one myself.

The Vox excels at blues & classic rock tones and has some nice cleans. It's not great for metal though.

I'm told the Mustang is best for cleans, but isn't as good as the others for anything else. Never tried it though.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I will echo the above. Vypyr if you want to play any metal at all.
Same thing: Vox is great at rock type tones but has bugger all for the high gain stuff
Mustangs just aren't good for anything but cleans as I understand it.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Vypyr 30 is amazing for the price. Many high-gain models to choose from and they all sound pretty good. If you've never owned the real thing, you might not even tell a difference. I actually just acquired a Vyp 30 head a few months ago. Since I've owned a real 6505+ for quite awhile, I can definitely tell a difference between the Vypyr's 6505 model and the real thing, but it does a pretty good job. Very good clean models as well -- I use the Fender Twin model most often for that. That's a big step up from the cleans on my 6505.
Quote by GaryBillington
For metal, you want the Vypyr. Possibly the most recommended modelling amp on these forums, I'm thinking of getting one myself.

The Vox excels at blues & classic rock tones and has some nice cleans. It's not great for metal though.

I'm told the Mustang is best for cleans, but isn't as good as the others for anything else. Never tried it though.

this is pretty accurate. bottom line is that each of those companies has different tones that they are known for and not suprisingly their modelling amps reflect that to a degree.

overall i think the Peavey does the best job at being a jack of all trades.
I'm gonna echo the others, as well. Pretty much spot on. I love my Vox Valvetronix. Everything on it sounds great. Even the high gain tones are actually pretty nice, except that they just don't cut through a live mix all that well. For home practice or recording, even the high-gain tones are pretty good, but the Vypyr definitely has it beat in that department. The 6505 model on the Vypyr is awesome. I also really like the overall warmth I get from the Valvetronix. Of the three we're talking about here, it's the only one that actually has tubes in it, unless you get the Vypyr Tube 60, which I think may have been discontinued.

I'd recommend the Vypyr if you really need that modern high gain distortion sound more than anything else. If the cleans are more important to you, the Vox.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
ok thank you for the advice. Also I have been looking at roland amps. Peavey 30 or roland 40gx?
Last edited by gorakhvinit at Apr 22, 2015,
Quote by diabolical
If you mean Peavey Classic 30, that one is aeons better than the 40gx.

No. Not the classic 30. That is way out of my budget. I was talking about vypyr 30. The one with transtube technology.
Last edited by gorakhvinit at Apr 22, 2015,
I own two VOX VT30 amps and they are perfect for the variety of tones I need. I can't comment on the others because I have never tried them but I know a Fender always has great clean tones.
I would ad one thing about the VOX. The pedal for the VOX VT30 and VT40 that allows you to remotely change presets is $60.00 extra. I think it's a must have if you are playing live with these amps but just thought I'd mention it.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 22, 2015,
Quote by Rickholly74
I own two VOX VT30 amps and they are perfect for the variety of tones I need. I can't comment on the others because I have never tried them but I know a Fender always has great clean tones.
I would ad one thing about the VOX. The pedal for the VOX VT30 and VT40 that allows you to remotely change presets is $60.00 extra. I think it's a must have if you are playing live with these amps but just thought I'd mention it.

I think you have to buy the pedal separately for the Vypyr as well - haven't looked at the VIPs, but that was the case for the older model.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Another Vypyr advocate chiming in here.

I personally think that trying to compare the entry level modelers is a little disengenious. People always try to say "this one excels at this and this one excels at that". I've played them all and I've owned several Vypyrs - there is no competition. The Vypyr does everything well. The new VIP series has excellent dynamics (for an entry level modeler obviously) and improved low/mid gain sounds, and more organic high gain sounds than the regular Vypyr. There is no competition between it and the other options.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I would say Vypyr beats the others hands down!
I actually use the base unit 15 Watt un-miced fronting a 10-piece with Keyboards & a 5 piece Horn section. I am shocked how loud these things are.

The clean channel is great espec the Twin and Plex. Dirty mods including 6605 are also fairly true to the models.

I don't get a hernia on load in/out and if one dies it's a $99.00 fix.

2003 Ibanez AG-75
2004 Washburn-OE40
2006 Fender MIM Strat
2007 Jay Turser-Tele-Deluxe
1993 Peavey Predator
1990 Epiphone-Sheraton II
1988 Fender-Squire II
Last edited by swingblade at May 12, 2015,
i highly recommend going with one that has a 12" speaker.

gary nailed it though in the first response.

i would have to say that the loser among the group is the fender. the cleans are good, but the gain is atrocious IMO.

the vypyr doesn't have as nice of cleans as the mustang, but the gain channels maker up for it.

the vox is kind of in between the mustang and the vypyr. that is the one i have the least experience with though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The vypyr is also my pick as well. The Cube is also worth looking into. It has less models and less effects than the vypyr, but some people find that having too many choices can be counter-productive. You might find yourself liking the cube.
There's another direction you could go as well. Line 6 pocket pod or zoom g3 multi-fx units into a powered monitor. This would have the advantage of still being useful a few years from now if you graduate to a better amp.
Ive bought a Vypyr 60T this weekend....all new..maybe almost the last left ..its awesome..tube and modelling...cant get any better..i could not find any amp that is tube and have these modelling metal tones so good!
Quote by jasonhelene
Ive bought a Vypyr 60T this weekend....all new..maybe almost the last left ..its awesome..tube and modelling...cant get any better..i could not find any amp that is tube and have these modelling metal tones so good!

post up a new amp day thread.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by jasonhelene
Ok..ill do it! thanks

i don't see it haha.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!