Hey Guys

Ive got an Ibanez SZ320. Heck of a guitar but 1 little problem

Basically this video shows exactly what my problem is

Video

I have no problem on the low strings (E,A,D or wound strings). The strings ring beautifully and long right up the neck

the problem starts at the 12th fret of the G, B, E strings. From there on out, the strings sustain just cut short like the video.

I did a little test (to see if its a dead spot note) and i bent the 14th fret G up a tone and a half (same note as the 17th fret) and it rung twice as much (normally it rings 2 seconds and a bit, with the bend it was 4 seconds. still not too long.

Ive tried changing the tuning (+- 1 step) to see if they ring out any differently and the sustain is the same.

Using Elixir 10's.

Now before you all say its normal for sustain to be short on the upper part of the neck, its ridiculously so. My strat rings out like a beast (i must admit its actually well built though)

Thanks for any help guys.
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
Last edited by Distortion_101 at Apr 21, 2015,
Maybe a high fret? Check the neck relief, too. Saddle height? Maybe a combination of the above?
Good luck.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
action makes no difference.

Neck is flat with a touch of relief (but higher up it wont make much of a difference.

Fret isnt high or dead. On B and e string there are 1 or 2 notes that actually ring true.

Which is why i think it might be pickups

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
Could be a lack of body mass? Just an idea. It's a pretty thin guitar. Especially compared to a strat.
maybe the pickups are too high. If the pickups are too close to the strings the magnetic field can kill sustain.

Also double check your frets, it's possible you do have a high one somewhere, the strings are just barely touching it. A short straight edge (called a fret rocker) that will just cover 3 frets is helpful. Place it on top of 3 frets, if it rocks end to end the middle fret is high.

Take a close look down the neck from both ends, is it twisted? I've seen that several times, it can cause similar problems. Not common, but it does happen.

From what has been covered so far, my best guess is pickups too high.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by GraceByDeath
Could be a lack of body mass? Just an idea. It's a pretty thin guitar. Especially compared to a strat.

My Strat weight 3.3kg (7.28 Pounds) and my SZ weighs 3.8kg (8.38 pounds)

weight is definitely not an issue. I think you might be confusing the SZ with the S series which has that thin body.

Quote by Paleo Pete
maybe the pickups are too high. If the pickups are too close to the strings the magnetic field can kill sustain.

Also double check your frets, it's possible you do have a high one somewhere, the strings are just barely touching it. A short straight edge (called a fret rocker) that will just cover 3 frets is helpful. Place it on top of 3 frets, if it rocks end to end the middle fret is high.

Take a close look down the neck from both ends, is it twisted? I've seen that several times, it can cause similar problems. Not common, but it does happen.

From what has been covered so far, my best guess is pickups too high.

I dropped the Pickups, it did help a touch (not even a 1/2 of a second) but they are not ringing out still. sustain still dies.

the frets were levelled but from what i can remember this was an issue before. I did check them, no low frets, in fact the straight edge actually just touches the crowns.

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
strings have done them since new. Even when replaced.

the current ones are about 2 months old Elixirs (ive been using the strat and acoustic so the Ibanez hasnt gotten much use)

They still shiny, and stay in tune.

But as I say, even when replaced the guitar does the same

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
Quote by Distortion_101
My Strat weight 3.3kg (7.28 Pounds) and my SZ weighs 3.8kg (8.38 pounds)

weight is definitely not an issue. I think you might be confusing the SZ with the S series which has that thin body.

That is EXACTLY what I did. Sorry about that.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Likely a combination of things. You may need to grease the saddles with graphite, grease the nut with graphite because some gunk might have got in them and that will do its part to kill sustain. You may also have one very slightly raise fret (i know you said that's not an issue, but i think you're wrong). The fret doesn't have to be obviously higher than the rest, but in the right spot, even if it's just a micrometer to high it will cut short the string vibrations. Couple that with a gunky saddle and/or nut and your sustain will die pretty quickly.

There's also a good chance you just got a lemon of a guitar. Quality control on those lower end korean Ibanez instruments is pretty ****ing terrible, and despite what you may think, it's still a bottom end guitar with bottom end pick ups and there's a good chance you just got a really porous, shitty piece of mahogany.

The fact that bending up increases your sustain leads me to believe there's a fret askew somewhere. Like i said, it doesn't have to be obvious, just enough to decrease string vibration.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Last edited by Acϵ♠ at Apr 24, 2015,
Just an update

I swapped some saddles around (e to E, A to B, D to G). MUCH better. I took a look at them and realised at the service, the guy radiused my bridge but half as**d the job. very bad curvature, took a file and just filed straight down.

now it sustains like a boss :p to think i was going to sell it.

needless to say i will never go to that guy again. Scary that he is the most recommended tech in my country.

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
Last edited by Distortion_101 at May 4, 2015,