I see guitar techniques as like Dragonball Z Budokai moves. Think of Buckethead. He's got an arsenal of crazy techniques he uses. I know a few and I'm studying him but I want some other cats to study. Currently I have stolen Tony MacAlpines 7th chord arpeggio tapping technique, John McLaughlins technique of playing the first 3 note of a scale and then the 5thabve creating a unique 4 note sequence (which I also tap), and some Buckethead licks but I am looking for some new unique techniques to use. Any suggestions?
Here's a video of me showing off what I know for the most part. I don't show everythin just what I felt fit at that moment.
http://youtu.be/M5aeWO37o0Q
Can't hear what you're doing past the overpowering delay/reverb and can't hear any context for what you're doing with the loop/backing track you're playing over.

That said... why not look for things you like the sound of rather than just collecting licks like pokemon? Listen to more music and find the bits you really want to hear yourself play. Technique really isn't an end unto itself, it is a means to the end of creating music.

That said, looking over some of your other music... take a bit of time to work on your bending and vibrato; they're both pretty weak. Your bends aren't really in tune and your vibrato is shallow and inconsistent.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Apr 21, 2015,
I don't think you need to learn more guitar acrobatics. You got enough.

However, here's some ideas to start your wheels turning.

1) Learn to play behind your back or with your teeth like SRV or Hendrix.

2) You could check out Marty Friedman's "99 Secret Guitar Phrases".

3) Transcribe an expressive blues solo by one of the greats.

4) Learn to "say more with one note than 100 notes" like B.B. King.

5) Learn to spin the guitar around your neck like Yngwie Malmsteen.

6) Improve your stage presence by practicing cool guitar faces.

7) Write a song like John Mayer does that drives women wild so you can get laid.

8) Learn Japanese like Marty Friedman so you can talk to Japanese women and get laid.

9) Create beautiful melodies. Write good songs.

10) Join a band. Start a band. Get some gigs.

11) Get your acoustic guitar out and play it. Lay down some musical rhythm tracks and put a good melody over it.

12) Practice singing. Take singing lessons if necessary. Learn to sing and play at the same time.
"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. This is my religion." -- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by Virgman at Apr 21, 2015,
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I knew this would happen.

Check out Rusty Cooley if you want crazy guitar acrobatics. Or Michael Angelo Batio. You could get a double guitar like him. Amazing.

I listened to your album. Some interesting stuff. I don't think it is marketable if you are looking for that.

You got skills there is no doubt.

The public wants to be moved emotionally. Learn some great songs you can perform. Listen to Bon-Jovi. Jon Bon-Jovi is worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Write some pop. Get on the radio, get on tour. Make millions.

Guitarists that can shred are a dime-a-dozen unfortunately. It's fun though but not financially rewarding.
"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. This is my religion." -- Abraham Lincoln
I didn't ask for anyone's opinions. I asked for new battle moves. Mike Angelo can blow me and shove his Lamborghini keys up his ass. I'm talking about techniques that are unique and allow me to play things I wouldn't normally be able to play. Not licks but techniques. Like sweeping. 3 finger tapping. Ext
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I didn't ask for anyone's opinions. I asked for new battle moves. Mike Angelo can blow me and shove his Lamborghini keys up his ass. I'm talking about techniques that are unique and allow me to play things I wouldn't normally be able to play. Not licks but techniques. Like sweeping. 3 finger tapping. Ext

A technique will that will allow yo to play something you can't normally play? From that video I'd say muting. Good muting will allow you to play clean without the need for such excess delay, reverb and a hair tie.
Here's a cool technique, ditching the ego

You need some melody. Shred CAN be awesome, by itself it's just a lot of fast notes. Without any melodies going on for the shred to compliment it's pointless. You want to play techniques you don't know, what do you know how to do? Play 3 note runs really fast? Cool. Learn some sweep patterns, something with melody. Some string skipping stuff, HOPOs.

And one more time. Ditch the ego, you ask for help then accept the answers.
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Flashback Delay, Digitech RP1000
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Marshall 1960a W/ Eminence Governors and Patriot Red White Blues
Did I mention "practice singing" and "singing while playing"?

Chicks love singers.

Check out John Mayer for tips. He's got it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5EnGwXV_Pg
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Then I really don't know what you're looking for, the only things I can think of are things like slide playing, classical fingerstyle playing... maybe a Ron Thal style thimble thing? Try out some hybrid picking in the vein of Brett Garsed? Tosin Abasi style slapping/double thumping?

You are already clearly a student of the guitar, you know a lot... but the crazy sounds don't come from someone forcing a technique on themselves, they come from someone thinking up a sound and then trying to find it on a guitar, not the other way around.

Besides which, there really aren't that many different ways to play a guitar, if you're studying people like Buckethead then you're already getting to know all the techniques that exist for modern electric playing. The interesting sounds come from the application, not the technique itself.

I know it sounds like I'm just repeating part of what I said in more detail but really it's the truth: you're not going to find the unique sounds you're looking for by collecting tricks. Trust me on this, I know from experience, I spend a lot of time doing what you're doing and learning all the techniques I could find in the hope that one would lead me to a new or unique sound, but none of them do because they're just different ways of playing the same notes. You find things that work better for you, for example I do a lot more hybrid picking now than I ever thought I would when I set out, but it doesn't make your playing sound any more unique by itself.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Guys, I don't think we're speaking his language.

You need to focus on a Major Eb chord shape with a dimished 7th. Now play a 3 note sequence overlayed by glitch tapping ending in a full on Penatonic run starting on a C note and ending back on the Eb root note.

My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Flashback Delay, Digitech RP1000
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Marshall 1960a W/ Eminence Governors and Patriot Red White Blues
What techniques are you looking for? Impressive looking techniques or simply techniques other than basic alternate picking? There's countless ways to play the guitar, including pizzicato, slap, funk, learn how to make it sound like a violin, or a sax, or whatever else. Or come up with something original that will blow us away.
Try doing a 7 note per string chromatic shred lick using yer balls for a pick.

Try playing underwater.

Try playing with a sense of melody.

those would be things you don't usually do
and you just got unbanned and made the funniest thread, I commend you
Last edited by Rebel Scum at Apr 21, 2015,
Check out Pebber Brown videos on YouTube he was Bucketheads teacher for years. can you play 15 postion off the major scale,harmonic minor,dimished 8 note , melodic minor and Lydian dimished? Also look at sarod picking that's what Buckethead uses to speed pick. Also check the video out down below. Btw how long you been playing? You need to work on your vibrato.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zLZzBJNHbpc

have you tried this technique he's using the palm off his hand to lightly touch the strings creating harmonics. Then he's using a whammy pedal. Skip to 2:17

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aS464K6jXyo

can you tap with 4 fingers? Check this videos out

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BaB-lHwOaBQ
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Apr 22, 2015,
I felt like I was listening to scales being practiced not music.. Stop learning a whole bunch of random techniques, and try to make some music dude. No ones going to want to listen to someone that sounds like they're practicing scales.

Quote by Xerosnake90
Here's a cool technique, ditching the ego

Boom.

Seriously, you want the harsh truth? You're nowhere near good enough to justify the ego. Not even close. Your shred and sweep technique is awful, and you're trying to cover it up with excessive delay and reverb. Turn your delay off. Reverb all the way down. Clean channel. Practice your sweeps and shred licks until they sound good like that.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Last edited by the_bi99man at Apr 22, 2015,
I'm kinda on the op's side here guys, he didn't ask for our opinions.
Quote by jlowe22

He asked for suggestions. When you ask for that you get opinions.

Anyway, I thought my suggestions were good.
Quote by jlowe22

He's asking for things that don't exist. If this thread only had answers to the original request it would be empty and he'd still be pissed.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Apr 22, 2015,
Quote by jlowe22

believe me he was, no other reason to post that vid. it was all about look at me don't kid yourself. he also needed to hear some of what was said. i've been to many band auditions with "that guy" who is all flash and no substance. anyone can just spew a bunch of notes really fast but it takes a lot of effort to make it musical. much of what he played did sound like scales being practiced. he has some talent but needs direction. if we had all said Wow dude you're awesome the this thread would have went a different route.
You should take time to work on what you already know since you're playing isn't exactly the cleanest, especially if you have to use a hair tie. The bends also sounded very off as previously mentioned, and the playing from a harmonic point seemed to often ignore the backing track. Your playing approach is to just throw as many notes around as you can with no real sense of purpose. It's like if you went hunting and instead of trying to hit your target with a well aimed shot you just sweep a machine gun across the horizon knowing that you are almost guaranteed to hit it.

Also a lot of the things you talked about with Tony McAlpine and John McLaughlin aren't really "techniques" but more phrasing ideas.

Quote by jlowe22

But he didn't specifically ask to not get opinions.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Apr 23, 2015,