Hey people,

I rock in a tiny room (not quite sure exactly how tiny but is definitely no more than 15 square meters ; that's around 160 square feet for you 'Muricans). It makes a four-man (and assorted unwelcome girlfriends) band rehearsal quite a bitch but that's beside the point.

The point here is that I've got a lot of originals and covers in my head and I can record all of 'em on my laptop but once I get to the drums, a kick sounds like an a-bomb and a snare shot sounds like a AK-47 shot. Even if I play the softest I can, they're too loud.

So, keeping into account:
1) The size (or lack thereof) of the room
2) The fact that I have no professional recording mic (only a live vocal mic)
3) The fact that my budget for these kinds of things is next to non-existent

What do you guys recommend?
Call me Kerouac
Here's what I would do with exactly what you have and nothing more:

1. Record the kit with the one mic. Use a click.
2. Copy the kit track a few times over.
3. Use EQ to more or less isolate each piece of the kit (doesn't have to be perfect)
4. Use your DAW to MIDI-replace each piece with a proper sample (Ableton does it with one click, others may be more difficult but I wouldn't know).
5. Reassemble the MIDI data into one piano roll (or don't, doesn't really matter, that's my preference).

Boom, a dynamic and honest performance on clear samples!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Well what do you want to do with the recording? If you want to record semi-professional stuff to release to the public, you're going to need at least a thousand dollars for equipment and software and a few years to learn how to use it all.

Since that's probably out of the question, we need to reevaluate. If you just want to document your playing, all you really need is a simple handheld recorder. Something like the ZOOM H4n can be set up on a mic stand, and you can adjust the recording level to where nothing is distorting and it'll record everything quite true to how it sounds to your ears in the room. You can even plug in a real mic and record in conjunction with the built in mics. This kind of recording could be used for live performances or live demos. Here's an example of something I recorded with the ZOOM H4n https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PShdUWrsV0M

If something like that is still a little above your head, then you can just use your cell phone to record. It'll suffice for just jotting down ideas. Again, it all depends on what you want to do with the recording. And if you finally get to the point where you want to release something "for real", gather up 2 or 3 thousand dollars and head into a pro studio. These are your options.

EDIT: And if the drums just refuse to work out, then it's your drums/room that is the problem. Lay down some carpet or play quieter/better. Not much else you can do.
Last edited by curlyhead_P at Apr 22, 2015,