I'm wanting to buy a pack of 7 string strings to replace the low E with a B and was wondering if a 60 would damage my guitar at all. I've had a 56 on there tuned up to standard a lot of times but am not sure if the guitar will get damaged going any higher of a gauge.
No, you won't damage it. You just need to set it up properly and make sure your nut is cut properly to hold a 60.

Anyway, I suppose your guitar is either 25 1/2" or 24 3/4" since it is a 6 string. Wouldn't you need a bigger gauge for the Low B?
You might need to setup the guitar a bit (especially neck relief and intonation) so that it doesn't buzz or go all weird, but that's about it. 60 in B is pretty reasonable tension without overkill on either side, so shouldn't be a problem.

As far as I know I don't think it's possible in general to do any damage to a guitar with just string gauge unless there's an absurd amount of tension. (E.g. I'd be worried to tune a 13 gauge set to standard, but then some people do it so not sure if even that could be any risk.)

EDIT: ^ most regular 7-string sets intended for standard tuning have 56 or such for the low B, 60 is very reasonable unless you like tons of tension.
Last edited by TheLiberation at Apr 21, 2015,
Thanks guys, this helps a ton. I'm thinking about moving down to a B since you never really here anything past D in thrash so why not experiment with it a little? All I gotta do is just change some strings if I don't like it. Thanks! By the way, yes I do have a 25.5 inch scale
Quote by TheLiberation
EDIT: ^ most regular 7-string sets intended for standard tuning have 56 or such for the low B, 60 is very reasonable unless you like tons of tension.

But aren't they made with the 7 string guitars in mind, which usually have a 27" scale? That's why I asked if 60 is enough for the Low B with a 25.5" scale.
I running those on a 25.5" scaled 7 string. They are just fine. So .60 is all about preference.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by DanyFS
But aren't they made with the 7 string guitars in mind, which usually have a 27" scale? That's why I asked if 60 is enough for the Low B with a 25.5" scale.

Most 7-strings are still 25,5" (most Ibanez models for example, arguably still the most popular ERG brand). And even if taking longer scale lengths into account, 60 for B in 25,5" is probably just as much if not more tension than 56 in 27".

Also two examples that come to my mind, John Petrucci and Vogg of Decapitated use regular 10-56 sets for 7-strings with 25,5" scale and they don't exactly play delicate rock on them. :p
I use 10-60 in E standard on a 24,75" scale guitar. So it's totally fine
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
I was going to get a pack of 7 string Cobalts but found a .12-.56 pack and those things drop all the way to A# without any problems. Glad I got those instead of a 7 set so I could have my high e
I'm running D'Addario 11-56 (medium top, x heavy bottom) in D standard on a Telecaster, but dropping the low D to C, Bb and A sometimes, with the latter being fairly loose. If I was in drop C as a main tuning, and used AGCFAD more often (instead of just playing Mastodon covers) I would be using a .60, so IMO, that would be fine for drop B.

Just a small example, Four Year Strong use .60s for the low D in D standard for a big chunky tone - I'm sure that with the necessary adjustments, no reason why a .60 couldn't take you all the way to drop A.