Hey everyone, quick question.

I have a JCM2000 and I'm waiting for my 1960a to get here. I have a Digitech RP1000 that I'll use as an effects board from here on out. My question is am I able to switch channels on the amp itself using the Rp1000? Or would I have to get the foot switch, which at that point would that ALSO plug in with the Rp1000. Help is appreciated.

Keep jammin all!
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Flashback Delay, Digitech RP1000
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Marshall 1960a W/ Eminence Governors and Patriot Red White Blues
Baaaaaalls
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
yeah you need a proper channel switch one of these will allow you to switch the channel and turn on/off the reverb for each channel
http://voodoomanswitches.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,923/category_id,9/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Meh. I don't want to drop another $40 (cheapest I've seen) yet. I'll wait until I get everything set up and see if I can't be happy with a modeled clean tone as opposed to switching to the actual clean channel.
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Quote by Xerosnake90
Meh. I don't want to drop another $40 (cheapest I've seen) yet. I'll wait until I get everything set up and see if I can't be happy with a modeled clean tone as opposed to switching to the actual clean channel.

ummm.... how you gonna do that? unless you bypass the preamp section of your amp that isn't going to work. dude spend the $40 and use your amp to it fullest.
Quote by Xerosnake90

well I have one of these and it works just fine to switch the channels, I just cant switch the reverb. The LED light is nice also
www.amazon.com/Marshall-Footswitch-One-Button-LED/dp/B003OYLGWA/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1429658646&sr=1-2&keywords=marshall+footswitch
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by monwobobbo
ummm.... how you gonna do that? unless you bypass the preamp section of your amp that isn't going to work. dude spend the $40 and use your amp to it fullest.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the RP1000 has cab bypass features that you can model to individual pre sets. I can choose to use the amp by itself with no effects from the RP1000 or I can switch to a pre modeled channel using a clean tone.

If I'm buying a foot switch I might as well get one that controls the channels and the reverb. Like I said I'll look into it after I get my setup going.
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Quote by Xerosnake90
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the RP1000 has cab bypass features that you can model to individual pre sets. I can choose to use the amp by itself with no effects from the RP1000 or I can switch to a pre modeled channel using a clean tone.

If I'm buying a foot switch I might as well get one that controls the channels and the reverb. Like I said I'll look into it after I get my setup going.

maybe i'm missing something here as i'm not really familiar with that unit. you will be plugged into the amp with the RP1000 in the fx loop correct? if that is the case then what you mentioned won't work without bypassing the preamp of the amp itself (unless you run it clean). if you are using the RP for the distortion then you are wasting the amp as it's dstortion will be much better. so how exactly did you plan on setting this up?
I have absolutely no idea why you would buy an amp like that to run digital amp and effect models through it. Might as well take it back and get a PA to plug into.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Quote by Xerosnake90

Doesn't work like that. If you're playing through the OD channel on the amp, everything is going to be distorted, no matter what you set the digitech to. You'd just be modeling a clean tone with the digitech, then running that into distortion with the amp. You could go the other way around, run through the clean channel on the amp, and swap to a modeled OD sound with the digitech, but that would be utterly pointless if you've got a JCM2000, which you obviously want for its OD tone.

Just get the footswitch. It is the only way to do what you're trying to do. Also, narrow down exactly what effects you really want, and get designated pedals, to phase out the digitech entirely, ASAP.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by Xerosnake90

The amp/cab bypass mode of the RP series MFX unit bypasses its own amp/cab models. Not the amp/cab you're plugged into. It's for when you have a good amp (which you do), and don't want to use crappy digital amp models. It turns off the Digitech's amp models, so all you're using are the effects (delays, modulation, wah, etc.), making it like a little compact pedalboard to use with your real amp. It can't actually control your amp in any way, though. So it can't turn off the amp distortion. Even when the preset tone you're using on the Digitech is a clean sound, it will still be distorted by the amp, if you're using the amp's OD channel. There's nothing that you can run your guitar through that will force an amp's distortion channel to go clean.

If you want to use your JCM's distortion channel, and still be able to get a clean sound by pressing a button with your foot, you need the channel changing footswitch. There is no way around it.

That said, if you get the footswitch, you can still use your digitech for effects, if that's what you were worried about. You just run your guitar into the digitech, like a stompbox, and out of there into the input on the amp. The amp footswitch is a whole separate thing, that plugs into a different jack on the amp, and doesn't interact with the digitech.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Last edited by the_bi99man at Apr 21, 2015,
Quote by the_bi99man
The amp/cab bypass mode of the RP series MFX unit bypasses its own amp/cab models. Not the amp/cab you're plugged into. It's for when you have a good amp (which you do), and don't want to use crappy digital amp models. It turns off the Digitech's amp models, so all you're using are the effects (delays, modulation, wah, etc.), making it like a little compact pedalboard to use with your real amp. It can't actually control your amp in any way, though. So it can't turn off the amp distortion. Even when the preset tone you're using on the Digitech is a clean sound, it will still be distorted by the amp, if you're using the amp's OD channel. There's nothing that you can run your guitar through that will force an amp's distortion channel to go clean.

If you want to use your JCM's distortion channel, and still be able to get a clean sound by pressing a button with your foot, you need the channel changing footswitch. There is no way around it.

That said, if you get the footswitch, you can still use your digitech for effects, if that's what you were worried about. You just run your guitar into the digitech, like a stompbox, and out of there into the input on the amp. The amp footswitch is a whole separate thing, that plugs into a different jack on the amp, and doesn't interact with the digitech.

that's what i thought. sorry dudeno go for your plan.
In the mean time, you can just clean your sound up by using your guitar's volume knob. People did that for decades before channel switching amps became the norm.
Quote by diabolical
Looking at the back seems like you can't:

http://www.magazyngitarzysta.pl/images/media4i/0/0e/0e9/digitech_rp1000_6.jpg

You'll need to move to GT-100, GT-10 or hd500 as they have dedicated amp switching.

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a multi-effect unit that will do what TC wants. He wants it to actually change the channel on his real amp. Unless the GT-100 or HD500 have some kind of special plug that lets you plug them into the footswitch port on an amp and act as a footswitch (and I'm like 99.999% positive they don't), they won't do it either. He just needs the footswitch. End of story. TC, get the footswitch.
Guitars
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Quote by Xerosnake90

People are saying you can't do this, but you can. This is how I run my rig for live cases where I need cleans. Distortion from the amp, cleans from the RP1000. It's called the 4-cable method. The process is shown in the owners manual (pg. 12 if you have the booklet).
I can go from the amps distortion with a TS-9 to a modeled clean tone and some ambient effects with one button press. It's pretty sweet, especially for the price.

As for actually changing the channel on your amp, no the RP1000 can't do that.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Last edited by Tremolo Bum at Apr 22, 2015,
Quote by Tremolo Bum
I don't know why people are saying you can't do this, but you can. This is how I run my rig for live cases where I need cleans. Distortion from the amp, cleans from the RP1000. It's called the 4-cable method.
I can go from the amps distortion with a TS-9 to a modeled clean tone and some ambient effects with one button press. It's pretty sweet, especially for the price.

Please elaborate. How are you getting a clean sound, while your amp is running its distortion channel? What "4-cable method"?
Guitars
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
When running via the 4 cable method, the processor allows you to decide whether or not to run the guitar signal through the guitar amps preamp. That's basically the gist of it. It allows you to set up patches that either use the real preamp of the guitar amplifier or that bypass the real preamp, use a modeled preamp, and run into the effects return (power section) of the guitar amp. Doesn't work for amps that don't have an effects loop, but TS should be set with a JCM2000.

Edit: Not all multi effects units can do this. I don't really know what all ones can and can't. I'll leave that to someone else, but for starters, I'm pretty sure the POD HD 500 and Boss GT100 can.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Last edited by Tremolo Bum at Apr 22, 2015,
GT-100/GT-10 has "amp control" jack which acts as 2 channel amp switch. Works great with my JCM900.
I guess you'd have to call it 5 cable method
Look up the specs:
http://www.bossus.com/products/gt-100/specifications/
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 22, 2015,
Quote by Tremolo Bum
When running via the 4 cable method, the processor allows you to decide whether or not to run the guitar signal through the guitar amps preamp. That's basically the gist of it. It allows you to set up patches that either use the real preamp of the guitar amplifier or that bypass the real preamp, use a modeled preamp, and run into the effects return (power section) of the guitar amp. Doesn't work for amps that don't have an effects loop, but TS should be set with a JCM2000.

Edit: Not all multi effects units can do this. I don't really know what all ones can and can't. I'll leave that to someone else, but for starters, I'm pretty sure the POD HD 500 and Boss GT100 can.

Hm. Just checked out the manual, and yeah, it totally can do that. Definitely not a common feature. I've got a bit of experience with many different multieffect units, and have never heard of that before now.

But yeah, TC, that sounds like the answer to your problem. It'll just mean that when you're going clean, you're using only the modeled sound from the Digitech, run directly into the power section of your amp. I'd still recommend getting the amp footswitch eventually, so you can bypass the Digitech's amp models entirely, and use the Marshall's clean channel, but this will definitely work in the meantime.
Guitars
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
I'd actually bypass all DigiTech models and run it as two channel amp with effects. The Marshall sounds good on both channels so I'd probably dial mild compression in front, chorus and verb or delay in the fx loop for clean patch, then leads...depends, probably wah in front, delay and verb in fx.

Much better to get the Boss GT line or Line6 HD500 so you can switch everything with one press.
Quote by diabolical
I'd actually bypass all DigiTech models and run it as two channel amp with effects. The Marshall sounds good on both channels so I'd probably dial mild compression in front, chorus and verb or delay in the fx loop for clean patch, then leads...depends, probably wah in front, delay and verb in fx.

Much better to get the Boss GT line or Line6 HD500 so you can switch everything with one press.

Yeah, it would definitely sound better to bypass the Digitech entirely. But if he wants to do that, he should probably just get the amp footswitch, and start getting some designated pedals for the effects he really wants. The RP1000 is a great MFX unit, and it would be kind of a step sideways to get another MFX unit just for that one feature.
Guitars
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
4CM config places your amps preamp in the fx loop of the fx unit(considering it has one), from there you can either shut your amps pre section off & use the internal sims of the fx unit or vice versa. The Rp 1000 allows that as well as provides an additional stomp box loop to places pedals into. If your multichannel amp has an global serial fx loop, then it works.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OeSlnvYPYnU

I dont remember if that rp has midi or a amp control to switch channels on amp.
Quote by steven_ferns84

I dont remember if that rp has midi or a amp control to switch channels on amp.

It doesn't. That's why I'm suggesting that he flushes this used and gets one of the Boss units so it could switch for him.
Quote by Robbgnarly
well I have one of these and it works just fine to switch the channels, I just cant switch the reverb. The LED light is nice also
www.amazon.com/Marshall-Footswitch-One-Button-LED/dp/B003OYLGWA/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1429658646&sr=1-2&keywords=marshall+footswitch

Ended up ordering one of these. Doesn't cost too much in case I just go with an emulated clean tone and If I do like it... well I only spent $20! I can always turn reverb or delay on or off for my digitech. Thanks for the suggestion
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
I don't understand why you would be using emulated models on the digitech with this amp. The entire purpose of the models is for people who don't have an amp like this and want to use the RP1000 for direct recording. You don't need them. Use the digitech for effects.
^^^^^^ Right on

I don't know how he will bypass the preamp on this amp either, unless there is a way to break signal flow from the fx send, so this way only the power amp work through the fx return.

It wouldn't make sense to bypass the preamp as it is much better than what the RP could dish out in terms of emulation.
Quote by al112987
I don't understand why you would be using emulated models on the digitech with this amp. The entire purpose of the models is for people who don't have an amp like this and want to use the RP1000 for direct recording. You don't need them. Use the digitech for effects.

The purpose is whatever you choose for it to be. Sure you're not getting the best sound possible but if there is a solution and you don't mind it then go for it. You should never limit yourself based off of "It's not ideal for that situation". That's a lesson for life.

As I said above I went ahead and ordered a one switch pedal with an LED. I'll be able to switch channels and I'll use the rp1000 for effects. For those that still don't understand how the RP1000 works. You can enable or disable amp modeling on different channels. Meaning I can create a clean channel using a clean amp tone that will override the actual amp. I can switch back and forth between that modeled clean tone and the actual amp lead tone at the push of a button. The four cable method it is referred to. Look it up if you'd like some more information on how it works but it does.
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Last edited by Xerosnake90 at Apr 22, 2015,
Correct solution.
However, the clean tone on a DSL is very good. You won't need any amp modeling with that amp, keep them turned off.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
In a nutshell.... The purpose of the loop switching system on the RP1000 is you can use the amp's preamp with the RP's amp modeling disabled, or you can use the RP's amp modeling and completely bypass your amp's preamp and only use the power amp.

If you are going to use the RP's amp modeling it's extremely important to pay attention to cab models. My suggestion is to start with the cab model called "direct". I believe that is essentially the same as not having a cab model. Cab models have such an extreme affect on the tone that it's best to start with them off as a baseline. Especially considering that you are going through a guitar amp anyway.
Last edited by fly135 at Apr 23, 2015,
I watched the video and by the looks of it, seems like they have a way in the unit to block out the preamp signal from reaching the power amp and it could be switched on/off, so at least that part is good news, so you could have in essence 3 channels once you get the amp switch.
It won't necessarily be a bad idea to try modeled distortion going through the clean tube ch.1 on the Marshall, it might actually help make it livelier.
Quote by fly135

If you are going to use the RP's amp modeling it's extremely important to pay attention to cab models. My suggestion is to start with the cab model called "direct". I believe that is essentially the same as not having a cab model. Cab models have such an extreme affect on the tone that it's best to start with them off as a baseline. Especially considering that you are going through a guitar amp anyway.

Exactly this. The direct channel uses no emulation for amp model or cabinet type. I'll be bypassing everything and using the Rp1000 as a pedal board for effects.
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Quote by Xerosnake90
Exactly this. The direct channel uses no emulation for amp model or cabinet type. I'll be bypassing everything and using the Rp1000 as a pedal board for effects.
Just to be clear.... There is no "direct channel" nomenclature associated with the RP1000, in the manual or otherwise. I am referring to the "direct" selection in cab models. When the amp loop is enabled the selected amp model and cab sim is disabled or bypassed. When the amp loop is disabled the selected amp model and cab is enabled. Again I believe that the cab sim called "direct" actually means "no cab model" is associated with the selected amp model.