Dilemma, short and sweet. I recently got great deals on 2 different amps, a Peavey Classic 50 from the early niceties, and a Peavey Valveking 1x12 II, 50w. I paid less than 400 cash for both, in different transactions. the C50 has some tube rattle and will need a reverb tank overhaul, but has 2 aftermarket Jensen jet tornado speakers. the VK50 has all the niceties of a modern amp (attenuator, tube monitor, a/ab knob, etc). tone is subjective. I play larger gigs, so I'm thinking the C50, but I don't know. I could also keep both, if they're both worth keeping. my main concern is the longevity and reliability of the newer Peavey, I know the old one is a TANK. What to do?
keeping in mind the newer one feels a little cheaper and this is the first Peavey amp I've owned that hasn't had the lead channel labeled "pre gain" and "post gain" haha
Classic 50 an AC30 clone? Wat? They sound nothing alike.

I'd keep the C50 but that's just because I can't stand the VK. Kinda shoddy build and doesn't sound good even after dumping all the internet-mandated upgrades into it, IMO. That was the first version though, haven't played the new one.
Quote by Roc8995
Classic 50 an AC30 clone? Wat? They sound nothing alike.

I'd keep the C50 but that's just because I can't stand the VK. Kinda shoddy build and doesn't sound good even after dumping all the internet-mandated upgrades into it, IMO. That was the first version though, haven't played the new one.

yeah, they do sound nothing alike. completely different circuit. it does have the crunch of the EL84s, but only when you're asking for it (it's 50 watts!), but other than that it has it's own kind of cleans. I wouldn't call them fendery, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. the Valve king is pretty great, it probably has a slight tonal edge on the C50, just on the clean channel, which is what I use. sounds sorta like a blackface twin with one speaker, lol. speaker is actually pretty good too. I think they got it together in the second generation.
Not knowing anything else I'd keep the classic 50.

The reasons why you'd keep the valveking are close to being gimmicks.
Also if you play "larger gigs" you'll need a PA system if you want the whole audience to hear anything intelligible, and there the power of your amp becomes irrelevant.

What music would you be playing?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
well, I also like the XLR and Mic output on the the VK as well. I'm playing mostly post rock, jazz, and indie-pop (Mac DeMarco). I'm mainly interested in the clean channels. I really like the C50 as well, it's a really vibey amp and it suits any style I play, mostly cleans.
VK 2nd gen. seems to be slightly better build (thus the price increase). I still think the clean are slightly woolly, like pulling a blanket over them, which is not a bad thing necessarily, kinda more like Led Zep than Mark Knopfler if you know what I mean

The gain is decent rock gain that could get really nice with the right overdrive, especially TS type where you lose some of the low end which seems a bit cloudy to me.

Not a bad amp overall, even the VK (1st ed.) but it seems more "budget kid" than pro player, if you know what I mean.

I like the Classic and it takes really well to pedals, and I like its "clean", which is slightly hairy, AC30 type of clean which with the right pedal could do really well for a rock type of gig. It seems to have a mid freq. "lift" that cuts through a mix and has its own voicing which the VK has not. Whether it is a good or bad thing, it depends. Personally, I like it as it provides a signature tone and is a more of a "vibe" amp than the other one for sure.
Then the VK could do Metallica like gain with OD and the Classic30 falls apart on that type of tones as teh mids get oversaturated....so keep both
you make a lot of really good points, and keeping in mind that I rarely use heavy (or any) gain, it kind of still makes sense to keep both. the VK does a lot of things ok, and the C50 does a few things really well. if I ever wanna tinker with high gain, I guess I can. the VK would be good for college, too.
i'm a VK user and they're actually pretty solid for the most part. my amp tech said that he rarely sees them in for repairs (true of most peavy tube amps). granted the build qualtity isn't up to the US standards from back in the day. the VK benifits greatly from a speaker change so consider that. i have one of the old models but agree that it seems liek the new version is made a little better.
as far as a speaker replacement, I think the stock speaker suits it fine. I played a VK50 I today, and they're entirely different animals
Quote by AGaySpaceTiger
as far as a speaker replacement, I think the stock speaker suits it fine. I played a VK50 I today, and they're entirely different animals

speaker in the old and new version is exactly the same, that'one improvement they didn't make.
I like the C50 for the music you play but you don't have much $$ into the VK so keep it until you find something you like better.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Sell the VK and use that money to fine tune the Classic. Speakers, tubes, etc.

Th Classic 50 is a good amp, worthy of attention.
The VK is Barby's First Amplifier. They're useable but they are what they are - a starter amp.

Get some sort of Pod as a backup "amp." If the Classic already has good speakers, spend the money there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd keep the Classic 50. I want one actually, I've seen what it can do onstage with a good overdrive pedal...Van Wilks used one for a few years, I think that's what Neil Young was playing when I saw CSN&Y a few years back, and I've seen other people using them all with very good sound. And like most earlier Peaveys, built like a tank. That's my favorite feature of the older Peavey amps, they were built to take roadie abuse. It's only been in the past 10 years or less other companies have been building PA equipment that could take the place of the long proven Peavey gear. Same reason, built to withstand roadie abuse. That's one of the reasons EVH had his first signature amp built by Peavey. (the 5150)

I don't know about the newer gear, I haven't tried it, haven't needed to...my old Peavey MX is still working fine after 20 years, the Super Reverb is holding up after almost 15 years of me hauling it around, and a relative using it since 1973. Every other Peavey I used was excellent, even the solid state amps that didn't quite get "that" sound...still solid gear that holds up really well.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Cathbard
Sell the VK and use that money to fine tune the Classic. Speakers, tubes, etc.

Th Classic 50 is a good amp, worthy of attention.
The VK is Barby's First Amplifier. They're useable but they are what they are - a starter amp.

Get some sort of Pod as a backup "amp." If the Classic already has good speakers, spend the money there.

ah c'mon can't the VK at least be Ken's amp barbie really. while VKs are far from tone monsters they can get a decent sound for certain things. i dunno about starter amp but they are exactly what Peavey was known for back in the day. affordabe amp that sounded halfway decent for your bar band.
Quote by monwobobbo
speaker in the old and new version is exactly the same, that'one improvement they didn't make.

yeah, I'm just saying the newer amp sounds better with the same speaker, and if I were keeping it I probably wouldn't get a new one.

you guys are probably right though, it's worth selling the VK so I can get the 20 year old C50 back to its former glory. the tubes definitely are asking for a break, lol, and they rattle some so I just shoved some rags up there. anyone know where I can get a nice big reverb tank for the C50? I'm looking for a ton of reverb. for Explosions in the Sky type work.