Thinking of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, etc. I know McCready uses a Tube Screamer, but from reviews I've read, most say the T9 isn't really meant for a grunge sound.
A tubescreamer won't get you that sound on its own, it goes in front of the distorted sound of an amp to get more gain and saturation in the tone.

I don't know what they use to actually get the tone they play with but that's a very important piece of information when we're talking about higher-gain tones.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
first thing that came to mind - T rex mudhoney.

perhaps some kinda weird fuzzyness like a blakemore dues ex machina?

yeah i dont really classify those tones as relying heavily on a pedal. most of those tones are cvoming from something like a crunchy marshal with a screamer or something pushing it. i would think with te right amp and a standard pedal setup, you can get those tones.

a lot of the character on those bands is coming from playing style and not so much relying on superb gear. i mean, great setups, but point is, if you want to sound like SRV, you need to find a way to start mimicing a Dumble.

not really teh case for Pearl jam. and jackwagon with a marshall sounding amp set up crunchy can probably pull off the tone. you need to PLAY like mike mccready. thats the hard part.

Im my head sounding like pearl jam is a lot easier than sounding like SRV, Brian May, Pink Floyd who not only have hard to replicate playing styles but very hard to replicate signature toanz.

my 2 cents.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
You didn't mention Nirvana, but Kurt Cobain used the Boss DS-1/DS-2. (The DS-2 is basically the DS-1 with an added "Turbo Mode".

That's my definition of grunge guitar tone, but I'm not familiar enough with the genre to know if the Soundgarden-thing is entirely different.

Good pedal, anyway. Used one exclusively for all band related stuff last year. Doesn't exactly sound brilliant on its own (seriously, don't judge the tone by how it sounds in your bedroom), but the tone was perfect in a hard rock setting with two guitars - no trouble cutting through there!
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
maybe a rat? i would look into it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by JordanHSS
Thinking of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, etc. I know McCready uses a Tube Screamer, but from reviews I've read, most say the T9 isn't really meant for a grunge sound.

for Pearl Jam you really aren't talking grunge in the traditional sense. they had a more rock sound than many of their peers. mccready is tubescreamer into a marshall. kim thayall has that old sabbath tone and as i recall isn't much on pedals. he uses a drop D tuning i believe.

most "grunge" tones are just basic 70s rock tones recycled.
Quote by monwobobbo
f kim thayall has that old sabbath tone and as i recall isn't much on pedals. he uses a drop D tuning i believe.

He uses Drop C a fair bit too( live at least).

OP, Both Pearl jam and Soundgarden use Marshals.

Id look for either a bassier fuzz, or a nice MIAB type pedal.

Most of the soundgarden sound is the slower, almost sludgey, playing in alt. tunings.

*the Grunge Sound doesn't exist*
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???