So I've set up a pretty basic home studio. Decent sized room. Carpeted floors. It's not gonna be perfect, but I'm looking for some easy/affordable ways to make the most of my acoustic space. I'm only gonna be using MICs for guitar and vocals.

How do I determine the best spots for the amp and the mic while singing? Are there any simple things I can do to the room?

I'm using headphones so playback acoustics are not an issue.
Depends what you want to do. There are vocal mic baffles that are sold to deaden reflections from your vocal mic and guitars when close miked rarely are an issue but I'd start away from any walls behind you or close on either side when singing and same for the amp, have it close miked and blasting towards more open space in the room but it all depends...
Quote by diabolical
Depends what you want to do. There are vocal mic baffles that are sold to deaden reflections from your vocal mic and guitars when close miked rarely are an issue but I'd start away from any walls behind you or close on either side when singing and same for the amp, have it close miked and blasting towards more open space in the room but it all depends...

That's probably sufficient for what I want to do. I'm just looking to make a demo album of my originals and learn as much about mixing in the process. I just want to avoid anything that's gonna cause noticeable problems.
If you use dynamic mics you won't pick up much from the room but just stay away from being close to walls. If you use dynamic mic for vocals it gets a bit more involved as you can get some room boxiness, early reflections and other undesired artifacts on vocal tracks, so to eliminate most of that the poor man's solution is this:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/z/cjsAAOSwVFlUKqlU/$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F
Quote by diabolical
If you use dynamic mics you won't pick up much from the room but just stay away from being close to walls. If you use dynamic mic for vocals it gets a bit more involved as you can get some room boxiness, early reflections and other undesired artifacts on vocal tracks, so to eliminate most of that the poor man's solution is this:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/z/cjsAAOSwVFlUKqlU/$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F

I'm using a Shure SM57 condenser mic. I was thinking about getting dynamic mic too but want to experiment with the condenser mic first so now if and why I need a dynamic mic.

Does it matter if I face the amp directly at a wall vs angling it? One wall of the room is a closet jammed with clothes so that wall would have less reflection than the others. Gonna try the amp 2/3rds of the room away from the closet and facing the closet. See how that works.
I've recorded Amos in closets but built little foirds around them, with foam mattress or duvet. I'd say, try the amp facing towards longer side of the room, maybe angled a little and the back not too close to a wall, maybe at least half a foot. If you blast it, the less of the room will be captured.
Quote by diabolical
I've recorded Amos in closets but built little foirds around them, with foam mattress or duvet. I'd say, try the amp facing towards longer side of the room, maybe angled a little and the back not too close to a wall, maybe at least half a foot. If you blast it, the less of the room will be captured.

Thanks. Just to clarify: amp 6 inches away from the longer wall and facing the other longer wall maybe at slight angle.

I can't usually crank the amp to loud because of neighbors and stuff. I usually just push the volume to the break up threshold.

I might try the closet technique too. Thanks!
Quote by Playsabadguitar
I'm using a Shure SM57 condenser mic.

there's no thing as a SM57 condenser mic, it's a dynamic mic!

For proper studio setup, people always recomend having at least one Condenser mic.

Condenser mics get more 'sound' to them, someone with better english can explain better.

Recording acoustic guitars is 'normally' better with a condenser mic.

I use a AT2020 condenser mic to record demos in my room over 5 years with decent results for what i'm looking (just doing demo's)
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Quote by tiky
there's no thing as a SM57 condenser mic, it's a dynamic mic!

For proper studio setup, people always recomend having at least one Condenser mic.

Condenser mics get more 'sound' to them, someone with better english can explain better.

Recording acoustic guitars is 'normally' better with a condenser mic.

I use a AT2020 condenser mic to record demos in my room over 5 years with decent results for what i'm looking (just doing demo's)

Damn. You're right. Kind of mad. I wanted a condenser mic and that's what the guy told me I was getting. Should have done more research.

I am generally happy with the mic though, so it's not a complete waste. I need a second mic anyway. I'll take a look at the AT2020. Thanks.
sm57 is pretty much the best mic you could buy starting up, so don't worry. I didn't pick up on the fact that you were referring to as condenser

AT2020 is also great, I actually use these two in conjunction on the grille, once you blend them in they sound great together. The sm57 provides the point attack while the AT2020 brings in air and detail.

You should be fine working with the sm57 though, it is fine for vocals as well. Might need to put up a pop filter in some instances as it has no windscreen, but test it out first and see how it fares. BTW - it is rumored that Bono used sm57 on U2's first few albums.

FYI - if you need condenser you'll also have to make sure you have phantom power or buy powered condenser.
If you can - look up AKG C3000 (maybe used), I am gravitating more towards that one after a musician friend gave me his:
http://www.akg.com/pro/p/c3000
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 22, 2015,
Think I'm gonna go with the AT2020. It's in my price range, and I specifically want a second MIC to use two simultaneously on the guitar amp, so it's reassuring that you use those 2 together.

Obviously I can try both, but typically which would be more ideal for singing? I'm happy with the sm57 for vocals but I definitely need a pop screen. Getting some really bad pops.