Page 1 of 2
If im getting this corectly, this isnt an amp, its a cab. I dont know why they used that picture tho. But yeah, a cab doesnt give you any sound on its own, you also need an amp head.

Anyway, tell us your budget and style of music that you play, and then we can advise you on the type of amp to get.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
For your first gig this amp is loud enough.
http://www.fender.com/guitar-amplifiers/archived-models/pro-junior-iii/product-2230300.html

All you need is to be able to run with a drummer and 15w from a quality tube amp will get you there. Whether this is the best choice for your music style or creates the on-stage eye candy you want is another matter.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by gorkyporky
If im getting this corectly, this isnt an amp, its a cab. I dont know why they used that picture tho. But yeah, a cab doesnt give you any sound on its own, you also need an amp head.

Anyway, tell us your budget and style of music that you play, and then we can advise you on the type of amp to get.

I play rock and my budget is no more than $500
Quote by Cajundaddy
For your first gig this amp is loud enough.
http://www.fender.com/guitar-amplifiers/archived-models/pro-junior-iii/product-2230300.html

All you need is to be able to run with a drummer and 15w from a quality tube amp will get you there. Whether this is the best choice for your music style or creates the on-stage eye candy you want is another matter.

That looks good, but would this amp be better?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG-Series-MG101CFX-100W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-107615593-i2034723.gc
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
No.

How so? I don't know much about amps, but i do know that the higher the watts the louder the sound. How can a 15-watt amp be better than a 100-watt amp? I thought 15-watts would be too low for a rock gig
It scares me that you are playing a gig and don't know the difference between an amp, a cabinet and a combo.
Cry yourself to ash
I'd recommend a blues jr. It's what I use and its certainly loud enough, but not too much of a hassle to lug around.
Quote by J23L
I play rock and my budget is no more than $500

You know, "rock" is an incredibly broad spectrum of music. If you wanna sound like John Mayer you would need a completely different set of gear, than if you wanna sound like Alter Bridge for example. So, be more specific, because you are really not giving us much to go on
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by Vampire_State
It scares me that you are playing a gig and don't know the difference between an amp, a cabinet and a combo.

Lol, this is funny to me because I relate. For years I didn't know the difference. Once I finally started to look into buying an amp and cab I was so confused by the wattage output and what not that I shied away from buying one for a year or two.
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Flashback Delay, Digitech RP1000
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Marshall 1960a W/ Eminence Governors and Patriot Red White Blues
Depending on your style of "rock", I'd either go for a used Marshall DSL or a used Peavey 6505*.

If you want to buy new, I'd maybe look into a Fender tube amp + an overdrive pedal like the DigiTech Bad Monkey, or perhaps the 15w Lionheart amp from Laney?

Maybe an AC15?

*Only get the 6505 if its a heavier style of rock; anything where you just want a nice crunch the DSL or any of the other amps I mentioned would be better.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Last edited by BV-95 at Apr 22, 2015,
Quote by J23L
How so? I don't know much about amps, but i do know that the higher the watts the louder the sound. How can a 15-watt amp be better than a 100-watt amp? I thought 15-watts would be too low for a rock gig

Any amp can be mic'd up to the house PA, doesn't matter how loud or quiet it is to be completely honest with you.

Also, a 15w tube amp should be able to keep up with a drummer no problem.

The reason a 15w amp can be better than a 100w amp is because wattage isn't the only thing that determines how good an amplifier is. Different amplifiers all have different voices and some sound better than others for certain applications.

For example, a 15w Fender amp sounds good for cleans and with an overdrive pedal can do The Who-esque rock quite nicely, whereas that Marshall MG is only good for pissing people off on GG&A
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Quote by J23L

Because volume doesn't equal good tone.

Also, with the right speakers you can make a 15 watt amp sound very loud. It's not all about the wattage.

You will most likely be miced and also, a 15 watt amp cranked will most likely be enough (it may be that you don't even have to crank it), at least for small gigs.

You don't need to play super loud. You need to be heard over the drummer, but being louder than that doesn't really make sense. It will just make you sound muddy. Just because it's rock doesn't mean it needs to be the loudest thing ever. Rock is not all about the volume. I don't care about volume - I like clear sound. And you won't sound clear if you play too loud.

I don't know if the Fender amp will be the right amp for you. What kind of rock music do you play?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by J23L

You are right, you don't know much about amps and the eye candy and wattage ratings are leading you away from great Rock tone and straight into suck town. Don't worry, we all bought crappy amps like the Marshall MG that looked cool but sucked when we were 15 and over time we learned that looks and watts don't mean jack. Eventually we threw those junk amps in the trash and figured out that great guitar tone is all that matters. Not looks or watts.

Ask a guy that has been gigging rock clubs all over LA for most of his life and he will tell you 15-30 watts of real tube power is always enough.

So name you three favorite guitarists and several experienced players will chime in with amp suggestions that will get you in the ballpark for less than $500. Many can be found used for less than $300. A small 1x12 15-30w tube amp in the same lineup as the one the pros use will sound great and stay with you for a long time.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 22, 2015,
Quote by gorkyporky
You know, "rock" is an incredibly broad spectrum of music. If you wanna sound like John Mayer you would need a completely different set of gear, than if you wanna sound like Alter Bridge for example. So, be more specific, because you are really not giving us much to go on

I would like to have a sound similar to Kings of Leon, Slash, and Pearl Jam
Again, do you currently have an amp, and which one?
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
Quote by Cajundaddy

Ask a guy that has been gigging rock clubs all over LA for most of his life and he will tell you 15-30 watts of real tube power is always enough.

I'd tend to lean hard on the 30 Watt side of things, and maybe suggest 30-50W is a better range.

In LA, most of the clubs mike the amps.

In the outback,however, there are still a lot of gigs that have a vocals-only PA setup, and that depend on your amp being able to keep up with the drummer. This is especially true if you're not using a lot of gain or running your amp heavily into distortion.

My old Carvin XV112E would run about $350 on eBay these days, as would the Belair. The former is a honkin' 100W 1x12 open back combo (think Mesa Mk II), the Belair is a 50W (EL84s) with a pair of Vintage 30's in an open back combo. I'm sure there are a ton of amps that would fall into the same price range that would more than handle the power requirements.
Quote by J23L
I would like to have a sound similar to Kings of Leon, Slash, and Pearl Jam

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. Caleb runs through a Vox AC30 (30 watts), McCready runs through a 22w boutique amp from 65, and Slash the standard complete overkill Marshall 100w tube full stack. The Marshall eye candy is as much of Slash's image as his top hat. Mostly Brit sounding amps with moderate gain.

Recommendations:
Peavy Classic 30 (Vox clone) used $300ish
Peavey Valve King $375 http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msd/4948646023.html
Carvin Nomad http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/4983914721.html

All of these amps are in the realm of your favorite guitarists tone, will sound great cranked up, and won't break the bank. They will all easily destroy a Marshall 100w MG in every category. Go find one and buy it!

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 22, 2015,
Quote by George Juggles
Again, do you currently have an amp, and which one?

No, I don't currently have an amp
Quote by Cajundaddy
Ok, now we are getting somewhere. Caleb runs through a Vox AC30 (30 watts), McCready runs through a 22w boutique amp from 65, and Slash the standard complete overkill Marshall 100w tube full stack. The Marshall eye candy is as much of Slash's image as his top hat. Mostly Brit sounding amps with moderate gain.

Recommendations:
Peavy Classic 30 (Vox clone) used $300ish
Peavey Valve King $375 http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msd/4948646023.html
Carvin Nomad http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/4983914721.html

All of these amps are in the realm of your favorite guitarists tone, will sound great cranked up, and won't break the bank. They will all easily destroy a Marshall 100w MG in every category. Go find one and buy it!

Can't thank you enough man. I appreciate the help
Quote by J23L

You know even less about amps than you think you do.

A 15 watt tube amp will blow away a 100 watt solid state without even breaking a sweat. If you want to get scientific about it, it isn't actually going to be louder, according a decibel meter, but it will push so much more air, and sound so much more fat the perceived loudness (especially when you're also competing with other amps and a drummer) will be immense.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Last edited by the_bi99man at Apr 22, 2015,
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
And to all these guys spouting off shit about watts.

A watt is a watt a tube watt is not magically louder than a SS watt. But most tube amps are rated at the RMS wattage and they can many times put 1x to 2x in short peaks.

SS amps are typically rated at their peak output.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
And to all these guys spouting off shit about watts.

A watt is a watt a tube watt is not magically louder than a SS watt. But most tube amps are rated at the RMS wattage and they can many times put 1x to 2x in short peaks.

SS amps are typically rated at their peak output.

Like I alluded to in my post, it gets weird and complicated when you start trying to really talk about exactly what makes a tube amp sound so much more powerful and louder than a solid state at a similar (or even higher) wattage. But the fact remains, you can do a side-by-side test with just about any 100w solid state compared to just about any 30w tube, and you won't find anybody who honestly thinks the 100w solid state is louder.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by the_bi99man
Like I alluded to in my post, it gets weird and complicated when you start trying to really talk about exactly what makes a tube amp sound so much more powerful and louder than a solid state at a similar (or even higher) wattage. But the fact remains, you can do a side-by-side test with just about any 100w solid state compared to just about any 30w tube, and you won't find anybody who honestly thinks the 100w solid state is louder.

It is Circuit design that makes the biggest difference.

Why do you think an AC30 is loud and clean as hell at only 30 watts
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

Winners. Personally, I'd take the DSL401. Just check on the date it was made. You want one made after 2003. The early ones had a serious design flaw.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
For $225 I'd definitely jump on that Carvin Nomad posted up.

The gig is in a few days, right? Probably not enough time to have something shipped, just reminding everyone.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
since no one asked i will. dude you're in a band but have no amp? how does that work?
Yeah, buy that Nomad. Great deal. Nicely road worn too so you won't look like a noob.
Buy an angled amp stand to go under it. Trust me. 1x12's have to be off the ground. No ears in your feet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I didn't realize the nomad was near TS. Yes that is the way to go and get a Digitech Bad Monkey or Ibanez TS9 to use as a boost if you need it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sounds to me like you should take a trip to local music store and listen to different amps yourself. Looking at pictures or seeing what your favorite guitar player of the moment is using, will mislead you into buying a one-trick-pony that may be good only for one particular sound. If you are just starting out look for an amp that will give you a variety of sounds that you can grow with as your playing improves and your taste changes.

Take it from someone who kept changing amps and guitars for years thinking that if only I had that particular guitar and amp I would sound like (insert famous guitar player here). It didn't work and cost me a lot of time, money and bruised ego because I couldn't sound like that guy even when I had the exact same gear. Go to a store and play a bunch of amps and find one that will work for you today and in the near future.

End of sermon. Amen (and a woman).
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 23, 2015,
Page 1 of 2