Most of those guys use telecasters with Fender Twin Reverbs. The lead guitar player for Dowsing uses a Gibson Firebird and a Musicman HD130 head.

Basically, take any Fender/Squier with single coils and plug it into a Fender tube amp and then boom, there's the tone. Some dudes run an overdrive like a Boss SD-1, Ibanez TS-9, Fulltone Full-Drive 2 for their gain sound.

You can get a Squier strat or tele for like $150 used, a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for like $350 used and then any of those pedals for between $50-$100 used.

As far as EQ... low-ish bass, medium mids, and medium to high treble.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Last edited by nick.culliton at Apr 22, 2015,
is a strat with hum in the bridge going into a fender fm212r a good set up? im looking at buying that amp
Quote by jrbulifant
is a strat with hum in the bridge going into a fender fm212r a good set up? im looking at buying that amp

The strat is fine, the Fender Frontman amps suck
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
This Peavey Valveking 1x12 would be great. It has a very Fender like clean channel and the gain channel is decent and does low/mid gain well. It is $199
www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-Valve-King-1X12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-111082513-i4296477.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Maybe one of Fenders pawn shop amps, the excelsior or the vaporizer or something along those lines. Failing that, a Fender Super Champ or Vibro chamo
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Listening to the second clip: the guitars are clean but the bass is dirty, that balance is a HUGE part of getting this sound.

Regarding the drums - just play along with these songs until you get a feel for the right rides and fills. It's really simple stuff, but it's SUPER tight here. Tightness is more important than anything in this style, because the drummer keeps the sloppy guitars in check.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by jrbulifant
what amp would be good (for around $180) that can play gigs

Can you find a Fender Princeton Chorus? It's solid state but apparently it's a notch or two above a FM (I've never tried a FM). I gigged with one for years, ignorance is bliss, lol. But, seriously, I got some good tone outta the FPC, imo, and it served me well for years. I had a Boss Blues Driver in front and played a lotta grungy stuff but the cleans were passable and Fender-ish. Besides a Crate V series or Country Club, I doubt you're gonna get better cleans at drum volume for $180.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20