Personally I don't think it's a good guitar for anything, I've never played a Dean that I thought actually felt nice at all; they've always felt like pretty plastic-y toys with muddy tone and uncomfortable necks. That's me though, some people love them.

What are you actually looking for in a guitar? Be specific.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've never found a Dean that wasn't a DBZ that wasn't glorified firewood, if that helps at all.
Cry yourself to ash
geez guys did you even look at the guitar he's talking about? the ML 79 reissue is actually a pretty good guitar. the trem has been replaced with a gotoh which is a step up. that guitar also has seymour duncans in it as well. looks like a decent deal to me and yes it would be fine for metal and hard rock. (not really a Dean fan but they do make a few decent guitars)
Quote by monwobobbo
geez guys did you even look at the guitar he's talking about? the ML 79 reissue is actually a pretty good guitar. the trem has been replaced with a gotoh which is a step up. that guitar also has seymour duncans in it as well. looks like a decent deal to me and yes it would be fine for metal and hard rock. (not really a Dean fan but they do make a few decent guitars)

I looked at it, i've played the stock 79 Reissue and wasn't impressed, still felt like a toy.

The Gotoh is a huge improvement, but it's not going to get rid of the toyish feeling.
Cry yourself to ash
A 79 ML reissue would be just fine for hard rock.

That price, however, is not a great deal. I can find new ones for under $600 on eBay, and used ones or "new other" for @$400.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I played a ML at a pawn shop about a year ago. Asking price was $350, I honestly think the $129 strat-o-copy is a better instrument. Beyond feeling awkward to hold, the neck wasn't anything special. Looked to ding easily. Don't remember the pickups but they sounded very dry, just a bland tone.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

That price, however, is not a great deal. I can find new ones for under $600 on eBay, and used ones or "new other" for @$400.

Ignore this, somewhat- I didn't realize you were in Australia. My bad!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Ignore this, somewhat- I didn't realize you were in Australia.
Yeah, our money is cheap. Y'all should come visit.

Regardless of price - cos you didn't ask - it'll do metal quite nicely and that trem is good. I'd recommend checking out a few Seymour Duncan pickup comparison vids on Youtube before you pull the trigger on this if "hard rock" is that important to you. The Dimebucker has a very specific voicing that some people find difficult to work with. You might love it and you could always swap it out if you wanted .. but then it is a Dean ML ..

Anyway, cool guitar
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
A cousin of mine just came back from a visit last month- had a great time not being eaten by salties!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 23, 2015,
haha, always a plus.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Quote by monwobobbo

I did and I've played higher end Deans that I still thought played like pieces of shoddy plastic. Like I've played guitars that cost considerably more with at least equal specs that I still thought were absolutely awful.

Whatever though, as I said: YMMV, some people swear by them so this kind of thing is a damn good reason never to buy a guitar you haven't played.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I did and I've played higher end Deans that I still thought played like pieces of shoddy plastic. Like I've played guitars that cost considerably more with at least equal specs that I still thought were absolutely awful.

Whatever though, as I said: YMMV, some people swear by them so this kind of thing is a damn good reason never to buy a guitar you haven't played.

that's fine. i just kinda think that people jump on the Dean sucks bandwagon quick sometimes. i agree that many of the Dime models i've tried did feel cheap etc but i thought the ML reissue was decent. i've played originals and they were nice guitars.

totally agree that you should try before you buy
Washburn made ML style models too. Maybe someone could chime in on their quality vs dean. I have no experience with either brand.
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by monwobobbo
that's fine. i just kinda think that people jump on the Dean sucks bandwagon quick sometimes. i agree that many of the Dime models i've tried did feel cheap etc but i thought the ML reissue was decent. i've played originals and they were nice guitars.

totally agree that you should try before you buy

Weirdly enough, now that I think about it, I have played one Dean that I did like... and it was a bass!

I've heard different things about the original Deans, but I'll take that with a pinch of salt as well.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Weirdly enough, now that I think about it, I have played one Dean that I did like... and it was a bass!

I've heard different things about the original Deans, but I'll take that with a pinch of salt as well.

no salt needed original Deans were very high quality guitars. keep in mind that they were esentially boutique guitars at that time though. much like the original 70s BC Rich's those guitrs are pretty different from what is made by them today.
Yeah, the original ones are total junk. 1 piece honduras mahogany necks with an awesome V profile. Nice figured mahogany backs as well, sweet bookmatched flame tops, super dark ebony boards and original Dimarzios.

If you see them on ebay, send me the links.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Apr 24, 2015,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah, the original ones are total junk. 1 piece honduras mahogany necks with an awesome V profile. Nice figured mahogany backs as well, sweet bookmatched flame tops, super dark ebony boards and original Dimarzios.

If you see them on ebay, send me the links.

don't forget the really hot chicks in there ads . yeah i'd take that guitar in a heartbeat.
Quote by monwobobbo
don't forget the really hot chicks in there ads . yeah i'd take that guitar in a heartbeat.

Oh how could I ever forget?

Gotta love the 80s.

But yeah, I love this 'toy' too.

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Apr 24, 2015,
like the girl a lot, didn't care for that line of guitars. haven't tried a schenker sig yet but would like to.
Yeah the Baby series was a bit weird. Then they started doing that shrimp fork headstock.

The Schenker is nice. Neck pickup in it is junk but the Lights Out bridge sounds pretty good. Neck is really on the slim side though so if you aren't into that, I'd look elsewhere.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah the Baby series was a bit weird. Then they started doing that shrimp fork headstock.

The Schenker is nice. Neck pickup in it is junk but the Lights Out bridge sounds pretty good. Neck is really on the slim side though so if you aren't into that, I'd look elsewhere.

thin neck works for me. probably wouldn't buy one but it would be fun to play some UFO ( or perhaps early MSG like Let sleeping dogs Lie or Attack Of The Mad axeman) tunes with it.
Quote by monwobobbo
thin neck works for me. probably wouldn't buy one but it would be fun to play some UFO ( or perhaps early MSG like Let sleeping dogs Lie or Attack Of The Mad axeman) tunes with it.

It's really all I do on the thing. Love cranking up my Excelsior and belting out some Mother Mary or Rock Bottom

I like it a bit better than the Korina V I replaced it with.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster