Hey all,
*long post thread.. you've been warned... there's a tl;dr :P

Posted previously on this a while back but my house flooded and I lost a ton of gear. I'll need to replace aaround a $2000 guitar (warmoth custom build), my amp (peavey vk $699) and 2 pedals (around $400 combined) Essentially, I'm curious for suggestions, be it individually or for everything, for what to get for what needs to be replaced. I will still have a distortion pedal (wampler triple wreck - it's a keeper), wah, tuner, delay, and a compressor. (those were damaged too, but I'm just replacing with what I had)

Should clarify, I have 2 other main guitars I play, ESP EC-1000, and a Schecter Hollywood Classic, so not dying for a new guitar, but why the eff not if they're paying, right?

TL;DR:I'm basically looking at a $3000 budget for a new amp, guitar, and couple pedals.

Music I play/how I play it:
Definition of a basement guitarist. Jam regularly with a friend who's a drummer, but no gigging whatsoever. Typically, it's grunge/rock, so Tool/Foos/Chains/Rage/Metallica/etc.. heavier stuff, but not death metal kinda thing. I don't need a crazy face melting amp, since we play it mic-ed, and I have zero plans of gigging again.

So UG, what so you? You're given a $3000 budget for a basement guitarist, what's your setup?
skip the guitar and get a better amp an some pedals. i'd look at some used Mesa combos perhaps.
I agree; **** a new guitar and just get a killer ****ing amp. Honestly I'd get 2-3 decent low-mid wattage tube heads and a 1x12 or 2x12 so you have a variety of tones. Maybe the 6505MH for metal tones + another head or two? I'm not sure what small tube heads have the best clean sounds.

I suggest you get the Orange PPC112 or PPC212 for a cabinet
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Randall RM, brand new Line 6 DL4 and a few modules. Though I'd take a few hundred out to grab either an Epi Wildkat or Dot ES339.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Agreed- while you lost a high end guitar, you still have decent axes. A good amp or combo from Mesa, Orange, HiWatt or other brand popular in the heavier genres may well make you feel like you're on stage with your idols.

I'd spend $1500-2500 on the amp- scouring the used & b-stock market hard- and the rest on pedals.

Exception to the above: if you're looking for a semihollow like Dave Grohl or Troy Van Leeuwen would play, I'd suggest one of these:

https://reverb.com/item/372373-reverend-manta-ray-hb-2014-black-ebony?_aid=pla&pla=1&gclid=CO6UnpDki8UCFYU_aQodvk4ApQ

Or

http://www.diffusion-audio.com/xcart/Reverend-Manta-Ray-390-Limited-Edition.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 23, 2015,
Some effects pedals you might like:

- Catalinbread Perseus
- Catalinbread Teaser Stallion
- Catalinbread Sabra Cadabra
- Spaceman Effects WOW Signal
- Death By Audio Supersonic Fuzz Gun
- Magnetic Effects White Atom
- Magnetic Effects Buzzkill
- Black Arts Toneworks Black Forest
- Black Arts Toneworks Sarcophagus
- Red Witch Famulus
- WMD Geiger Counter
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Keeley Stahlhammer
- XTS Atomic Overdrive Pedal
- Dr No Drive-O-Matic
- ARC Effects Crimson King
- Möbius The Bomber
- Ohnoho Chk Chk Boom
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Unless the guitar you lost was your dream guitar you are unable to live with it, I would also probably hunt a used high end guitar to save some money and put the rest towards some bad ass amp. Maybe Engl Savage.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Slo.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
VH4

/thread
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Slo.

The RM100 suggestion is good but yeah, with $3000 to spend where SLOs are $3K - SLO all the way. SLO good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So UG, what so you? You're given a $3000 budget for a basement guitarist, what's your setup?

An Ac30, a fireball with 2x12, and a custom HSS hardtail Warmoth with a wizard profile neck. That doesn't help you out at all however.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by dannyalcatraz

https://reverb.com/item/570737-diezel-vh4-2005

Better choice for OP

Or even Hot Rod/Avenger + Rec/Mark
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Apr 23, 2015,
Used Mesa Roadster Combo ($1100 - $1500 USD)

It's really up to you. I see this more of a decision between a high end guitar and a high end amp. Which do you want more?

$3k can get you a lot in the used market in mint condition.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
thanks for all the replies, I've got some homework haha

Only thing i should have specified is that since i need to submit receipts, i likely can't go the used route (unless its from a store) since ill need a receipt for it
Quote by QOTSA40
thanks for all the replies, I've got some homework haha

Only thing i should have specified is that since i need to submit receipts, i likely can't go the used route (unless its from a store) since ill need a receipt for it

Most shops on reverb will give you a receipt if you ask.

You already have some decent guitars and some pedals, so If it was me I'd personally focus on a nice amp.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Reverb is a good site.

I'd even get two amps, and just keep your guitars for now (unless, like mentioned you need a custom built guitar)

JCM DSL 2000
1960A CAB
Vox AC30
Whatever pedals you want
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP