So my guitar has an edge pro (pretty sure?). I purchased it second hand and it definitely needed some setting up, so i figured I'd give it a go seeing as it was my first one with a floating bridge and if I stuffed it up then I could get it done professionally.

Anyway so I got it to zero point, took it from .9's up to .10's, added a spring, addjusted all the screws and it looked and felt great. But right from the get go there's been the problem of bends sending other strings out of tune. Now I've heard that this is an inherent problem with floating bridges and I understand why this happens.

I just feel that it might be a little exaggerated on my guitar though for some reason because it is fairly prominent. I have attached a sound clip to show you how prominent it is, and hopefully someone with more experience with floating bridges can comment on weather or not it is normal.

In the clip I start by doing a full bend on the 12th fret B string. Then, I continue doing this bend without plucking the B string and instead I hit open strings so you can hear how much it affects the tuning of the other strings.

Are there ways to reduce the issue? Or is the only way to block said trem. Could it be my spring configuration? Bad springs? Is it as simple as tightening a screw?

Thanks

http://vocaroo.com/i/s06MNZQPn3au
That is an issue with most FR style floating bridges
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah I remember Jeff Loomis of nevermore saying when he records albums he doesn't use floating tremolos on his recordings because when he bends the strings go slightly out of tune
this is totally normal and the only way to stop it is to block the bridge

I can imagine higher end parts help to a certain degree as would a professional setup but we can only expect so much out of a floating tremolo
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Apr 23, 2015,
Yeah this unfortunately is normal. What you can do is buy a tremol-no or other fancy device that allows you to change between blocking the trem and having it floating. Or you could do what I do, and just pull out the block when I wanna use the trem.
It's just physics. And the same happens with any tremolo system, not just Floyd Rose.

Don't do unison/double stop bends and it doesn't matter. And really, in the middle of a solo nobody will notice your guitar going slightly out of tune when you bend the string. It's a different thing on an album of course. Use different guitars for different purposes. If there's a song that requires a lot of bending, use a hardtail.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115