I read a sentence in a book of chords that confused me today. It reads "...this...chord is quite a stretch in most keys."

I don't understand. (It's an Aadd9)
I thought the key was a characteristic of the song. I don't see why the key would make a change in how you finger the chord. I think I must have a fundamental misunderstanding of some sort. It sounds like the author is suggesting that the chord gets harder to play depending on what song you use it in, which seems ridiculous.
Maybe the author means that other add9s are a bit difficult to stretch to when fingering them?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Maybe the author means that other add9s are a bit difficult to stretch to when fingering them?

That's what I would go for, but it's really quite hard to tell with so little context; it might be a little more evident with more knowledge of the rest of the book.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Closed position chords are chords that don't contain open strings such as barre chords. Some Voicing like add9 chords can span Five frets. Sounds like you have a very casual chord book good luck
Yeah it's a 6 dollar bargain buy.
So the author might have been trying to say that chords like Cadd9, Dadd9, etc... Are hard to reach, but that Aadd9 isn't too bad?
Possibly. Certainly Asus2 (which is Aadd9 minus the major third, C#) is fairly simple to finger.

Cadd9 is the one you tend to come across since it's very similar in fingering shape to G.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by paul.housley.7
Yeah it's a 6 dollar bargain buy.
So the author might have been trying to say that chords like Cadd9, Dadd9, etc... Are hard to reach, but that Aadd9 isn't too bad?

I think that's probably the most likely explanation. Depending on the key and which add9 chord you're using (and your guitar's tuning), some add9 chords will be played in the open position, and won't be difficult. But some will require a barre, and more of a finger stretch.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
He may have meant that you cOuld play the normally closed position voicing he provided in the book for add9 chords in open position for Aadd9. Like this: x024xx for example. Then Badd9 would be x246xx and so on. There are other voicings that may be more practical or appropriate in whatever song you are learning.
Quote by Dave_Mc

This^
He is probably suggesting that the grip in question is a stretch in most keys.