Hi.

I'm practicing a lot of relatively fast 80's style heavy rock/metal solo playing and it's getting smoother by the day and I've ventured into a little bit of tapping {easy boy}

I like going straight in to my amps gain channel with no external effects and I don't like messing about channel switching, I might use a bit of delay now and then once I've established my basic tone but that's for another day.

I'm very keen to even out my volume glitches with a bit of compression before I hit the amp, can anyone recommend a good compressor and is there any consensus on whether these guys generally compressed the guitar throughout the song or just kicked in on the solo,or indeed was it used at all?

I'm game for hearing any suggestions be they anecdotal,factual or plain daft.

I'm trying to develop a style of playing similar sorts of stuff but without scooping mids and washing out the amp sound with modulating effects.

Thanks.
Last edited by guitar-name at Apr 23, 2015,
what is your budget? Generally Diamond compressors are well received, and I like the superego from Wampler.

I'm not saying it is you totally, but a lot of people use them to cover up sloppy playing. also can a lot of noise to your amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
unless you're using fairly low amounts of gain i'm not sure you really need a compressor. a tubescreamer- or sd1-style overdrive to boost your gain channel will probably do more what you want, for a lot less money (there are tons of tubescreamer clones, you don't have to spend $150 on a ts808).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by diabolical
MXR is pretty much the go-to 80s compressor. You could also try Marshall Ed used.

if you are talking about the Dyna Comp, they are terribly loud and squash the hell out of your signal.

Get some kind of OD.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
if you are talking about the Dyna Comp, they are terribly loud and squash the hell out of your signal.

Get some kind of OD.

I run the Super Comp. It is more adjustable than the Dyna comp. Works well if adjusted correctly, especially the ability to adjust the attack. Only issue for the OP is that it isn't that great on a distortion channel. Adds noise. I don't really use any pedals on a distorted channel other than a TS-9.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

I'm not saying it is you totally, but a lot of people use them to cover up sloppy playing.

I'll hold my hand up to that.
The Boss CS-1 or 2 or whatever ruled in the 80's. Very little else on the market really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The Boss CS-1 or 2 or whatever ruled in the 80's. Very little else on the market really.

this. i agree though that it's not really what you want. better technique is the real answer followed by using an overdrive.
Full disclaimer that I don't have any compressor but for an inexpensive option check out the Joyo Ironman Pipe Bomb. I was researching compressors mainly just to check them out and play with one and it is supposed to be transparent.

Not sure exactly what you're after but just throwing it out there.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I'm actually going about using compressor differently as I usually turn off my compressor when playing leads. I find it limits the dynamics of the lead and kind of mushes the picking style because sometimes I play the notes cleanly and evenly then I might attack and pick harder on certain passages. I find with a compressor I loose that picking dynamic (but that's just me). I like a light compression on guitar when I am playing chords to help emphasize initial the attack of the notes as I change chords. It gives the changes more definition and keeps the rhythm tight and out front. That's my 2 cents.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 24, 2015,
Quote by darkwolf291
^This
A compressor won't do much since distortion by it's very nature compresses the signal
Grab a Digitech Bad Monkey and use as a boost

(or maybe an sd1 to be really 80s )

Quote by monwobobbo
this. i agree though that it's not really what you want. better technique is the real answer followed by using an overdrive.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Rickholly74
I'm actually going about using compressor differently as I usually turn off my compressor when playing leads.

I'm with you there. A compressor or limiter on power chords can work wonders. Bowies Ziggy Stardust album has it all over the place....not everyones cup of tea production wise but I really like it. According to the engineer,he applied it liberally after the parts were played and it also seems applied to the lead work,or at least that's how it sounds to my ears.

Once that guitar is boxed in the whole mix takes great shape.

Granted,used differently to the hair metal thing and perhaps at a different stage but a shining example of compressing chord and riff work.

Tasty.
Last edited by guitar-name at Apr 24, 2015,
Quote by guitar-name
I'm with you there. A compressor or limiter on power chords can work wonders. Bowies Ziggy Stardust album has it all over the place....not everyones cup of tea production wise but I really like it. According to the engineer,he applied it liberally after the parts were played and it also seems applied to the lead work,or at least that's how it sounds to my ears.

Once that guitar is boxed in the whole mix takes great shape.

Granted,used differently to the hair metal thing and perhaps at a different stage but a shining example of compressing chord and riff work.

Tasty.

different thing to playing live though. i'm sure that the compression used was adjusted through out the recording plus of course they were using studio quality compression. the pwer chords on Ziggy are more of the power amp variety than the pre amp variety found on 80s hair metal , way less distortion as well.
Quote by monwobobbo
different thing to playing live though. i'm sure that the compression used was adjusted through out the recording plus of course they were using studio quality compression.

Yes. This was mentioned.