Hello, this may require a lengthy response but would help me tremendously. I just bought a Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead 100W head on ebay for 450. I'm a little nervous the head may not be in the best condition and may need some work as the seller sort of hinted towards it but seemed to be vague on the subject.

However, what tools should I get and what should I inspect to make sure this head will last me more than a week (14 day return policy)

I've heard about overheating problems with these heads, how would I fix that?

What are things I should consider replacing?

Please just give me a detailed response on essentially how to care for these older tube heads.

I've had a 5150 prior to this, so I'm a LITTLE bit knowledgeable of tube heads, however, the 5150 never had anything wrong with it besides having to replace the tubes ONCE in three-four years. So I'm sort of anticipating a little more work having to be done in this one, but I'm unsure what I'm in for.
LTD EC-1000 CTM
Peavey / Marshall / HM-2 / SKB
Dealbreaker
You should find out exactly what it needs for fixing up. Message the seller and find out what's wrong with it. If it has broken tubes you can easily spend another $100+ on it. Anything else and I have no idea.

I'd like an answer to this too since I just bought the same amp.
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Flashback Delay, Digitech RP1000
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Marshall 1960a W/ Eminence Governors and Patriot Red White Blues
right off the bat, look up the JCM 2000 DSL overheating problem. I believe it was the units that were made prior to 2003. Mine was, andI NEVER had a problem, even when touring. That being said plenty of people have had the issue. So look out for that.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Katsock
right off the bat, look up the JCM 2000 DSL overheating problem. I believe it was the units that were made prior to 2003. Mine was, andI NEVER had a problem, even when touring. That being said plenty of people have had the issue. So look out for that.

Glad I bought a 2003 model then!
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Flashback Delay, Digitech RP1000
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Marshall 1960a W/ Eminence Governors and Patriot Red White Blues
Yea I always heard the earlier models had problems of some manner. My 2006 is still running like a champ. $450 is a sweet price. You may or may not need to retube it. You'll just have to wait and see.
a nice retube isn't a bad thing though. plus you can keep the old tubes if they are fine. and that head is easy to bias
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
The problem with the early ones was an under rated bridge rectifier. Not a hard thing to repair.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
how can I tell if it's overheating? does it literally just feel hot to the touch?
LTD EC-1000 CTM
Peavey / Marshall / HM-2 / SKB
Dealbreaker