....I got an EQ pedal. Holy crap, I thought I had a nice fat Black Album style chug chug going, then I picked up the 10-band MXR and it's now ridiculous. My old tone is like flat pop ("soda" for my friends in the U.S. of A.) by comparison. Everything I plug this beast into comes alive.

Stuck it in position #1 in my effects loop with a gradual V-shape EQ, and boom! Even with cut mids it slices through my backing tracks very nicely.

Can't speak for other models and I'm sure they're great, but if you're on the fence about the MXR it is the biggest no-brainer IMO.
I concur. There isn't a tone that can't be made better with an MXR 10-band. Come at me!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
mine died a year ago. i can't find anything wrong though. MXR wants $70 to fix it. ****

i will either try to fix it again, or just get it sent out. they are pretty nice though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Wow, $70 to fix a $120 pedal. It's as if they're trying to get you to say screw it and just get another one. Not cool. That said, if mine died I would find a way to fix or replace. I basically can't play without it now.
Quote by KailM
I concur. There isn't a tone that can't be made better with an MXR 10-band. Come at me!

Oh yeah?
Well, you're probably right.
Three places to put one. Or all three.
First is right after the pickups (it EQ's the pickups)
Second is right after the distortion (EQ's the distortion)
Third is in the FX loop (it EQ's the cabinet, essentially)
Quote by PB26
Wow, $70 to fix a $120 pedal. It's as if they're trying to get you to say screw it and just get another one. Not cool. That said, if mine died I would find a way to fix or replace. I basically can't play without it now.

i don't know what to do to be honest. i have cleaned all of the sliders and jacks out, reflowed the soolder joints on the jacks, and done just about everything simple. $70 and i have to pay to ship it to them, but at least return shipping is included in the $70 .

its bullshit, but they warranty it as new after the repair, so its at least $50 better option than buying a new one. it is pretty shitty though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dspellman

Not really, it EQ's the preamp, not the cabinet.

There's more places to put it than that though... But hey, I'm an effects junkie. I've ran an eq after a delay and reverb that were in parallel with my dry signal so I could eq just the wet signal for instance.

Do definitely agree that an EQ pedal is a very valuable addition to a guitarists rig. I always use an eq on my high gain tones.

muledit:
If you want to eq the cabinet you're going to have an eq after the microphone (or after the cab sim/IR if that's what you're using).
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Apr 24, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
Oh yeah?
Well, you're probably right.
Three places to put one. Or all three.
First is right after the pickups (it EQ's the pickups)
Second is right after the distortion (EQ's the distortion)

And I thought I was crazy for wanting more than one EQ pedal. If money was no object, I would have at least one more MXR 10-band. I'd definitely have another one after my OD pedals/before the preamp. I wish their 6-band had volume and gain sliders -- I think that'd be enough for before the preamp. (Hint, MXR, are you listening???)

I've always wanted another one in the effects loop as well. One for high-gain, the other for cleans. Or yet another for different high-gain situations (leads vs. chuggas, etc.)...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by mulefish
Not really, it EQ's the preamp, not the cabinet.

muledit:
If you want to eq the cabinet you're going to have an eq after the microphone (or after the cab sim/IR if that's what you're using).

Sort of semantics. Change the cabinet and that FX Loop EQ will go a long way toward getting it back in order. Technically, however, you're correct. You're EQ-ing the preamp and there are two things downline that can still affect the tone (the power amp and the cabinet). And then there's the room and the mike and...
I just got a Boss GE-7 for about £30 off eBay due to the original winner not paying up, so I got it mega cheap. I tried it out on my Orange - amazing, should've got one sooner.

Although I'm itching to try an MXR 10 band now. Is it worth selling the Boss (at a slightly inflated price, wink wink) and getting one?
Probably not. I find that what I can do with Boss I can pretty much do on Mxr and vice versa. Now parametric and rack eq are more interesting IMO, with 20 band rack eq you can even go bonkers and tune your rig for every venue you're in :-)

I ditched eq pedals as they seem to bring extra noise in the chain.
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 24, 2015,