Anyone else spent hours tweaking effects and tones to create a variety of tones for different songs, then found about four will actually do everything? I envy the guys who like to just plug straight in.
I for the most part have one tone for dirty and clean. I just add in or take away an OD for dirty and pepper in effects to my clean to get different sounds. But I understand what you are talking about. Back when I was using a POD for the majority of my sound I had different dirty sounds to play along to different bands, plus my own sound. And about 8 different clean tones for different applications.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Yeah, I mainly find I can get by with about three tones: clean, rhythm, lead. If we were to really try and reproduce the sounds on our album live I think I'd need about 2 more clean tones, with effects, but even that's really not very many relative to other bands.

That doesn't mean I'm not very particular about the tones I do use, I'm still pretty picky about getting tones I like, just that I don't feel like having 5 different rhythm patches is at all worth my time and effort. If I can get one distorted rhythm sound I like then that makes me comfortable and makes my playing feel better, so I play better.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
for live purposes then yeah i have a few go to tones that seem to work fine for most applications. my live setup is pretty simple pedal wise. for recording though i stil like to tweak a fair amount. there's a big difference between how a recorded piece is istened to and when it's played live. subtle tone differences etc are prety much lost live unless you have a fantastic PA and a room that has great acoustics.
I got tired of trying to perfectly replicate everything all the time after a couple of years of gigging. The most important thing for me now is just getting a basic and solid rhythm tone (usually without pedals) that adds to the overall blend of instruments in a complimentary way. I have a few pedals to boost my lead tones, add gain, maybe some subtle effects but nothing that's going to drastically alter it. 90% of the time I'm just running the guitar straight into the amp though, using the same tone throughout an entire set, and nobody seems to mind
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
I got tired of trying to perfectly replicate everything all the time after a couple of years of gigging. The most important thing for me now is just getting a basic and solid rhythm tone (usually without pedals) that adds to the overall blend of instruments in a complimentary way. I have a few pedals to boost my lead tones, add gain, maybe some subtle effects but nothing that's going to drastically alter it. 90% of the time I'm just running the guitar straight into the amp though, using the same tone throughout an entire set, and nobody seems to mind

me to. growing up most of the bands i was into did the same thing. bands like Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith had a basic live sound and fans had no problem with that. i use things like my pickup selector switch and the volume and tone controls on my guitar to vary things as needed. people in the audience just want to hear the songs played decently. unless a certain tone is so much part of a song that even a drunk casual listener will notice it not being there then who cares.
Quote by abutcher713
Anyone else spent hours tweaking effects and tones to create a variety of tones for different songs, then found about four will actually do everything? I envy the guys who like to just plug straight in.

Eh...I sort of have to keep inventing. In some cases it's because I have to replicate something, in others because I have to generate something out of the ordinary.

Spend some time as a keyboard player with something like a Korg Kronos and you'll sometimes want to just play the piano. But there's so much cool stuff to work with...

Far too many bands are just so boring after the second song, because they sound exactly the same for the next hour. Yuk.
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 24, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
Far too many bands are just so boring after the second song, because they sound exactly the same for the next hour. Yuk.

I don't know about anyone else but I find that there are very few bands who can really hold my interest for more than about 45 minutes at a time anyway! Totally know what you mean about bands just sounding the same for the whole set but mostly I find that can be pretty much alleviated with good/interesting song writing anyway.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't know about anyone else but I find that there are very few bands who can really hold my interest for more than about 45 minutes at a time anyway! Totally know what you mean about bands just sounding the same for the whole set but mostly I find that can be pretty much alleviated with good/interesting song writing anyway.

The best way to have a band entertain you and keep you engaged for more than 45 minutes is to hire the E Street Band.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Hmm. I can count on the fingers of maybe one and a half hands the number of albums that have charted multiple songs (that weren't greatest hits albums). Beatles did it. Fleetwood Mac did it. Michael Jackson did it. Eagles.

Most artists don't have the repertoire of good/interesting songs to offer, either.
Quote by dspellman
Hmm. I can count on the fingers of maybe one and a half hands the number of albums that have charted multiple songs (that weren't greatest hits albums). Beatles did it. Fleetwood Mac did it. Michael Jackson did it. Eagles.

Most artists don't have the repertoire of good/interesting songs to offer, either.

The Grease soundtrack??? lol.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Quote by dspellman

think harder. Hendrix had only 1 song reach the top 40 in the US. thinking he had a couple of solid albums and played interesting songs in concert. Led Zeppelin didn't do the singles thing seemed to have plenty of great songs to play live. i could go on but i think my point was made. maybe you need to start litening to other bands if you're having that much trouble finding ones that keep your attention
I have 4 effects on my pedal board. Arion Analog Delay stays on all the time. I use it in place of reverb, never did like the sound of a reverb unit except barely on at all.. Next is a Dan Electro Rocky Road modified so it actually works, normally used once a night. Next is a Marshall Bluesbreaker Overdrive, can't live without the thing...used almost every song. Then there's a distortion pedal, Boss DS-1 right now, used twice a night at most.

From there it goes to a volume pedal, the other can't live without it pedal, from there to a A/B switch where I split it into a Super Reverb and a Champ, or both channels of the Super Reverb, depending on the volume level I need.

Basically I use one effect, the Overdrive, a whole lot. The others are very sparsely scattered here and there throughout the set list, and the dual amp or two channel used for different tones and volume levels. I set the Champ slightly louder than the Super Reverb for low volume gigs, normal channel slightly louder and a bit more bass for higher volume situations where the Champ would get lost in the mix.

I also use 3 electric guitars and an acoustic, each electric has a sound all its own. That gives me a pretty diverse range of sound, without trying to exactly copy any particular player. I'm not trying to sound just like Clapton or Page or anything like that, just a good range of guitar sounds that work for the range of music we play.

The music...Eagles, America, Doobie Brothers, CSN, a few country tunes, a couple of blues tunes, just started working on a couple of Gerry Rafferty ones, and other classic rock. So I need and get a pretty good range of tone, without a horde of pedals by using the capabilities of the guitars and amps I already have..
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I have two basic cleans (acoustic-like and slightly broken up) and two basic dirties ("classic" and "modern") that I like to use that my amp pretty much handles for me. Couple pedals for flavor (trem, flange, delay) that are not at all critical for me. I like simplicity in a setup. As much as I can get away with and still keep the spirit of the song.
Quote by monwobobbo
think harder. Hendrix had only 1 song reach the top 40 in the US. thinking he had a couple of solid albums and played interesting songs in concert. Led Zeppelin didn't do the singles thing seemed to have plenty of great songs to play live. i could go on but i think my point was made. maybe you need to start litening to other bands if you're having that much trouble finding ones that keep your attention

Oh lord, I listen to WAY too many bands. Most of them live.
There ARE bands that are interesting. Most not.
Why (and here we bring it back to the TS' topic)? Because everything sounds the same.
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 25, 2015,
I mostly stick to one main tone in terms of just clean/distorted sound (besides pickup switching and volume/tone knobs of course) without any real changes, but in terms of effects (2 delays, reverb and a more "vintage" sounding distortion), I try out lots of stuff and I'm not sure if there are two songs I've written which would use an identical configuration of those. It feels to me like they have a huge impact on the atmosphere, so it's mostly with that idea in mind.

Also the reason why I'm already thinking "wat do" if I start playing live, as I remember all the FX parametres by heart but you know, would probably be easier with something like a G-System. :P
Quote by dspellman
Oh lord, I listen to WAY too many bands. Most of them live.
There ARE bands that are interesting. Most not.
Why (and here we bring it back to the TS' topic)? Because everything sounds the same.

quality over quantity . i understand what you are saying as a band like say VH doesn't hve much tonal differences on the early albums. good thing the songs themselves are great.

so far in my experience when playing live unless what you're doing is really in your face kind of stuff the audience can't really hear subtle changes in tone or fx. what you can hear on a record in a good listening environment is often lost live. even with name bands that have a good PA the little things get lost. knowing this i figure keep it simple. one of the best things about playing a strat is the variety of sounds you get just by using the pickup selector switch. i really do think that with a basic setup you can do the songs justice without making a project out of it. granted i play hard rock and blues rock which makes it easier to get away with that kind of thing.
I have four or five amps set up at all times. I have dedicated pedals for each rig.

However on my (small) gigging rig (orange dual terror) i have a zendrive, ocd, microvibe, malekko 616 and a malekko 616 lo-fi. I have a light gain always on from the zendrive, and I switch to a mid-mid high gain from the ocd. I have the 616 on all the time and I use the lofi for a longer modulated delay.

The Splawns don't need anything other than a delay, they have a dial in volume boost on the footswitch as well as od1 and od2 footswitch as well. Sometimes I will use an od.

It gets it done as simple as possible.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have 3 different tones, clean, rhythm and lead. And it takes me a few minutes to dial them in, if that. And after they are set, i just leave them there until i bump the amp or whatever.

Im really not that concerend about my tone, if its decent sounding.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Interesting replies thanks. I feel as though I've wasted a lot of hours chasing tone. A few basic tones and a few changes of guitar seems to work. A while ago I was persuaded into the tone and volume on maximum way of thinking but I recently bought a G&L ASAT deluxe and you really can get wide variety tweaking the tone and volume knobs so perhaps it depends what guitar you have.
Quote by abutcher713
Interesting replies thanks. I feel as though I've wasted a lot of hours chasing tone. A few basic tones and a few changes of guitar seems to work. A while ago I was persuaded into the tone and volume on maximum way of thinking but I recently bought a G&L ASAT deluxe and you really can get wide variety tweaking the tone and volume knobs so perhaps it depends what guitar you have.

Better guitars do tend to get you a wider range of options, but even on the cheapest guitars I've played had wide enough control with tone and volume controls to get a good range of sounds.

I wouldn't worry too much about chasing tone either, there are very few guitarists who aren't constantly chasing the sound they hear in their heads for any given situation, if it gets you closer to how you want to sound, and therefore makes your playing feel more comfortable, then it's not a waste of time in my opinion.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I like playing around with volume knobs and tone knobs when I play on my own or for recording, but live, I prefer everything either on 0 or 10 for consistency. So either tone at 0 or full and volumes full, unless I want a killswitch. And then get everything else from an amp and pedals.

The same goes for pedals, I don't like to change settings on pedals on the go and when it's needed, I'd rather have presets. Everything that can be knocked and is set in stone is taped down on my pedals and I'd rather have 2 drives for different results than change settings between songs and only use one.

I do it like that live because I can focus on playing and having a good time without worrying about the settings at my feet or knocking some settings on a pedal. And I try to have as much different sounds as possible for different songs - clean with a tremolo in one song and clean with a phaser in another, for instance - without going all over the place and keeping it subtle. Unfortunately, it results in needing a lot of pedals or a lot of presets.