Hey everyone,

I'm a soldering noob. I have an Ibanez with EMG 81/85 that hasn't worked in a while. I've been wanting to take it to a shop but the other day I decided to just look at it myself. There was a wire no longer connected to the input jack so I ended up stripping it lightly and attaching the wires to the metal. At first without stripping it I got very faint tone. After stripping and attaching the guitar has power again, as previously on full gain I sounded like I was playing with a dying battery. Problem solved.

I'm going to pick up a soldering unit today. My question is pretty simple. Do I need to remove the prior soldering wire that's melted onto the joint? I'm assuming no I just wanted to get clarification. Any other tips would be appreciated as well.
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Flashback Delay, Digitech RP1000
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Marshall 1960a W/ Eminence Governors and Patriot Red White Blues
You mean the melted stuff? Or actual copper wiring?

For any wires, you'll probably want that clean so the hot and ground wire don't cross. For the melted/solidifed solder, I usually heat it up to burn any impurities and use what's left to get the joint going before I add new solder.
I meant the melted stuff yea. So will I strip the wire on the cable, hold it onto the joint and melt the solder over it? Should I try to do anything to the solder that was originally used for the wire?

Simple soldering 101 I need some advice. Lmao.
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Just pick up an entirely new input jack

They're not expensive at all and It's better than using one that has solder all over it. ;_;
ayy lmao
Quote by chookiecookie
Just pick up an entirely new input jack

They're not expensive at all and It's better than using one that has solder all over it. ;_;

That's not a bad idea. If I run into any issues I'll go ahead and do that.
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
What works best is to get the contact point hot along with the wire you're trying to solder it to. That way, when the solder its the wire, it instantly melts and flows, making a good contact joint. Having a bit of extra solder there helps, as when it melts it will help melt the new solder. If you just try to touch the solder to the iron, you'll get little balls of solder/a cold contact joint.

And don't cross the wires :p
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 24, 2015,
Operation success! Was a bit tricky but not a bad job if I do say so. To celebrate I jammed out with said guitar. After a string change it should be flyin.
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100