I know that if I sample something I should get permission and pay a fee for it both to to the label and the publisher, but does this apply even when you mangle and edit the sample so that in the end it bears little resemblance to the original sound ?
By the way, if I want to use some piano samples from a live performance of a Stockhausen piece interpreted and performed by another pianist I should have the clearance to use them from both ? and what if such performance is not published and commercialized ? because it does not appear to be so.
Quote by francesco18
I know that if I sample something I should get permission and pay a fee for it both to to the label and the publisher, but does this apply even when you mangle and edit the sample so that in the end it bears little resemblance to the original sound ?
By the way, if I want to use some piano samples from a live performance of a Stockhausen piece interpreted and performed by another pianist I should have the clearance to use them from both ? and what if such performance is not published and commercialized ? because it does not appear to be so.

You need to mangle it pretty badly for it to not need clearance. Totally possible, but it needs to be virtually unrecognizable to someone who knows the original piece. You'll need to change both the timbre and the chord/melody structure in order to get away without licensing your usage.

Every song has two sides - master and publishing. The master side is controlled by the performer (or label). The publishing is controlled by the songwriter (or publishing company). You need clearance from BOTH sides to use someone else's performance of a song OR clearance from only the publisher if YOU perform the song.

Regarding you final question - if you've heard it, it was published. Doesn't need to be an official release for it to be out there - if it was captured and released, the performer controls the right to the work.

Feel free to PM the original and your sampled version and I can give you my opinion as someone who has worked professionally in licensing. I'm going on vacation all next week though, so I may be slow to respond.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
First: yes, even if you do crazy thing to the sample, you're still using the sample and would need to clear it.

Second: There are two copyrights associated with music - the song and the recording. If you were to use a live recording of a Stockhausen piece, you would need a license for the song (purchased from the publisher/Stockhausen) and one for the recording (probably from whoever performed the piece).

I might try to contact whoever performed the piece. They might respond and tell you who you need to contact for that.

Sid would now the most about this though
Edit: Looks like Sid beat me to it haha
Quote by chaosmoon

Sid would now the most about this though
Edit: Looks like Sid beat me to it haha

Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
If you're going to alter the sampled piece to the point of it becoming unrecognizable, can't you just alter something original you record yourself and avoid the problem?
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!