I've been looking into upgrading my amp setup, been testing out a few different heads and cabs. Almost 100% decided on the EVH 5150III 50W. Now what I'm indecisive on is the cab options. I'm set on. 2x12. The two I've tried so far with the 5150 were the EVH 2x12, and a Mesa Recto 2x12. The EVH is a 60w cab, while the Mesa is a 120w. Are there any real pros or cons to running a cab with higher wattage capabilities besides being able to run a higher watt head?
Any other good 2x12 cab options to look for?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Wattage isn't the issue at all. The EVH has greenback things and the Mesa has V30's. Totally different sound. Get the Mesa cab unless you are chasing vintage tones..
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have no personal experience but a lot of people at Guitar Center talk up the Orange PPC212. It comes with Vintage 30s and orange has a reputation for making great cabs.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
And to answer you question about wattage. No, it doesn't matter. I used t gig with a 50W amp into 450W worth of speakers (6xG12T75) and currently gig with a 100W amp into a 240W cab (2x Emi V1216).
Put the power rating out of your mind, as long as it's bigger than the amp, it's fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Orange and mesa are my favorite cabs in general. Avatar may be worth a look if you want custom. I have one as well and it's pretty nice. I like my orange and mesa cabs better.

Really most of the difference is speakers though. V30's and EVH greenbacks are quite different though. I have both.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Don't forget to look at the marshall cabs with v30s too.

If you get an orange (and are playing high gain stuff) you'll probably want the closed back cab (which is more expensive).

Look at the different speakers in the cabs, rather than the cab wattage. I wouldn't use greenbacks for tight high gain, but I love them for more vintage marshall tones.

V30's are the most common speaker for modern rock and high gain stuff. It's stock in most of the big name cabs.
RIP Gooze

cats
Just to throw something a little different in to the mix, have a look at a Traynor

http://traynoramps.com/guitar/horses/product/

It is loaded with greenbacks but it does have 2 removable back panels so that it can be run either open or closed back as well as vertically or horizontally. Plus the speakers are angle baffled inwards to help with taming the highs and give it more low end.

Easily found at L&M and you can't go wrong with the price in comparisons to Oranges and Mesas or even the Avatars once you get them up here to Canada.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/12865/Guitars/Guitar_Amps/Traynor/DarkHorse_Series_2x12_Guitar_Extension_Cabinet_-50_Watts.htm
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Quote by KillRoy Ver 3.0

It is loaded with greenbacks but it does have 2 removable back panels so that it can be run either open or closed back as well as vertically or horizontally. Plus the speakers are angle baffled inwards to help with taming the highs and give it more low end.

If you're going to make a cabinet with removable back panels, make sure that they're airtight when in position; otherwise you lose much of what you build a closed-back cabinet for.

Angling baffles slightly does nothing to "tame highs or give it more low end." Don't bother.

What will make the most difference in what you hear will be the speakers themselves. I'm a fan of V30's *after* they've been broken in. Eminence Tonkers and Texas Heats are also excellent, depending on what you're going for. After that, there's a difference in open back vs. closed back. Unfortunately, about the only one who will ever hear what an open back cabinet delivers is the guitarist himself; live, the audience doesn't get any of that, and all that good sound is wasted. Closed back is probably the best choice overall if you're playing live.
I picked up the 100 watt 5153 2 weeks ago, and have been running it into my Mesa 212. It sounds great, but I've only tried it on the Mesa, so I don't really have anything else for comparison

I think this week when I'm off, I'm gonna go in and try it through the EVH cab to hear the difference for myself. Everyone keeps telling me the EVH cab is the way to go for this amp tho.

Just looked, and apparently the 412 has slightly different speakers. The cab says its rated for 100watts, but if you look at the specs on the speakers themselves, they're rated at 20 watts a piece, compared to 25watt standard greenbacks. I wonder what kinda difference that makes?

My problem is that I want the 412, but don't want to spend that extra cash, or effort to lug it to gigs
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Apr 25, 2015,
but they're (the EVH version) 20watts each not 25

So its actually an 80 watt cab, not 100 watt.

I may be slow, but I'm not that dumb
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Cool. Thats sorta what I was figuring.

Plus, I'm pretty sure there would be no way for you to ever tell that you did blow the speakers, after cranking 100 watts into 412's, as you'd probably be completely def
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by Fumble fingers
but that's considered close enough to not blow speakers

way too close. at a gig environment, you can put out above the rated wattage. i just recently read somewhere on here that cranked tube amps can go 30+% their rated wattage.

if you don't turn it up that high, i still wouldn't put a 100 watt head into an 80 watt cab.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
^

The one expiation I was able to find about it, said they wanted to use the lower wattage speakers for increased breakup; and they figured if anyone was going to run a 100 watt tube head balls out, then it was likely hooked up to multiple cabs.

I never heard of that 30% factor before.... interesting.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
^

The one expiation I was able to find about it, said they wanted to use the lower wattage speakers for increased breakup; and they figured if anyone was going to run a 100 watt tube head balls out, then it was likely hooked up to multiple cabs.

I never heard of that 30% factor before.... interesting.

i heard it on here from somebody, but can't verify personally. i think that the excess of advertised wattage may occur at power tube distortion. probably will never see it out of a 100 watt amp though.

i don't know so i am going to stop talking before i spread bad information.

one thing i do know though is that i personally don't care for speaker distortion .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
way too close. at a gig environment, you can put out above the rated wattage. i just recently read somewhere on here that cranked tube amps can go 30+% their rated wattage.

Wattage for an amp is determined at a specific distortion level. If you exceed the distortion level, the amp can put out more power. OTOH, however, most speakers are rated for RMS power and can handle quite a bit more in bursts. Shouldn't be an issue if you have 100W worth of speaker rating on a 100W amp.
Are you considering the Mesa oversized 212 or their traditional 212? The traditional is supposed to have a tighter sound.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by trashedlostfdup

if you don't turn it up that high, i still wouldn't put a 100 watt head into an 80 watt cab.

but EVH is calling it a 100 watt cab even though the speakers are 80 watt ..... you would have to be out-doors with PA for vocals and drums only to blow them
Quote by trashedlostfdup

My understanding is that some amps makers, when stating there amps wattage, give a 'clean' output - where the watts is how much the amp puts out before introducing a certain amount of power amp gain. If that's accurate, than some amps (I think I've heard it said that orange is a maker who does this) will put out much more than there rated wattage when pushed to an extreme.

Celestion are quite conservative with their power rating on the speakers, but I don't know why EVH would label a 80w cab 100w. I have heard it said [unverified] that this is an error on celestions part, and that the speakers actually meant to be listed as 25w.

Quote by Fumble fingers
but EVH is calling it a 100 watt cab even though the speakers are 80 watt ..... you would have to be out-doors with PA for vocals and drums only to blow them

I don't think that excuses mislabelling a cabs wattage (if that's what has happened here).
If the cab is only 80w I think it's pretty poor form on the cab manufacturers part.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
I don't think that excuses mislabelling a cabs wattage (if that's what has happened here).
If the cab is only 80w I think it's pretty poor form on the cab manufacturers part.

I don't know what happened ??... maybe EVH wasn't worried about what happens paired with a Orange or other amp heads and that it is more than safe with the EVH head ?? .... it would also be hard to give a constant 100 watt out of a 100 watt head wouldn't it as far as blowing them up , peak yes but constant no ?? .... or maybe the assembler simply put the wrong speaker in it when installing speakers ?? .....
I figured out where I found it. Orange rates Rockerverb 50 at 90 watts peak according to the manual.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The marketing people thought 100W would sell better so that's what they wrote on it. Why are you expecting a technical explanation for a marketing decision?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Go for a Zilla cab man. I threws out both of my PPC412's after I got my Zilla super fatboy 212. It just blows away a PPC412. If you don't believe me, compare yourself with a Tonebone Cabbone and be amazed.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl