Hoi,

So I just thought of this. If someone is able to sing and play the guitar, would it be possible to "gain fame" with guitar only and then change to guitar and singing. A fu#@ed up explanation but let's use examples. Let's say someone started like with "guitar emphasised" songs (like Joe Satriani) and then becomes famous. After this the guy decides to start singing and the whole band "changes". So let's say a transformation from Joe Satriani into Pantera (though the music itself would be both, diverse).

So in short, attracting attention "with a tall hat then changing it to a small hat"
Last edited by Billie_J at Apr 25, 2015,
Well Jimi Hendrix followed that path. So did Steve Lukather.

But neither did it intentionally. The truth is that most of the session guitarists can sing quite well, because they're more likely to be hired if they can pitch in harmonies as well as be on guitar duties. That doesn't mean they'll get instantly famous if they sing. Most have their own projects on the side where they do sing and it goes nowhere.

Also making it big as any sort of musician is really hard, doing it as an instrumental guitarist is even harder. I have not had any experience in promoting original instrumental music, but I imagine that getting a gig on the local stage, let alone a fanbase to come watch would be ridiculously hard.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Apr 25, 2015,
^

Lukather was famous for doing instrumental music before he started singing?
"No one is a sorcerer every hour of the day. How could you live?" — Pablo Picasso
Quote by Billie_J
someone started like with "guitar emphasised" songs (like Joe Satriani) and then becomes famous. After this decides to start singing..."
Joe Satch did exactly that... not too good! (IMHO)
One genre that seems to have success with instrumental stuff is the smooth jazz crowd. Not too sure how many of them have made the jump and changed genres and added vocals, though.
Quote by Tonto Goldstien
^

Lukather was famous for doing instrumental music before he started singing?

Nope, but he was known as a guitarist, which is what the question is seeking info on.
Soundcloud
^^^ Nope - although guitar is his primary instrument is was his singing and songwriting that brought him success.
Soundcloud
there are pretty much like zero people who got popular by solo guitar, that went on to sing.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by AlanHB
Nope, but he was known as a guitarist, which is what the question is seeking info on.

No.

The OP was asking for examples of guitarists who first became famous playing instrumental music and who subsequently achieved greater fame when they started singing.
"No one is a sorcerer every hour of the day. How could you live?" — Pablo Picasso
^^^ Read it however you want mate. This is the question.

Quote by Billie_J
would it be possible to "gain fame" with guitar only and then change to guitar and singing.

Did Steve Lukather gain fame with guitar only? Yes.
Did he later gain fame singing? Yes.
Soundcloud
Well let's say I recorded 5 songs (guitar only, again like Joe Satriani) and then sent them to a label. After some time the label replies saying they're interested. Now when I visit them, I tell them that I want to have songs with vocals.

I can't explain this simply for some reason. Example: Guy X records a guitar only demo and sends it to a label. Label accepts the demo and calls the guy X. Then Guy X says "I'll be doing songs with vocals from now on"

Might not be true but I'm pretty sure it's easier to prosper with something more "Joe Satrianish" than with some random 70s blues songs
^^^ Ahh cool.

Mate, labels only invest in artists that have already seen a level of success without them. So ignoring the fact that most labels don't accept unsolicited demos, the chances of them listening to an instrumental guitar piece from an unknown act, let alone being interested in a version of the song that they haven't heard yet (ie. They don't know what the vocals sound like) would be nil.

Get some success on your local stage and work from there. If you end up getting a massive following it's likely labels will be interested in you.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Apr 26, 2015,
Quote by AlanHB
^^^ Read it however you want mate. This is the question.

Did Steve Lukather gain fame with guitar only? Yes.
Did he later gain fame singing? Yes.

Here's the rest of the explanation...

Quote by Billie_J
A fu#@ed up explanation but let's use examples. Let's say someone started like with "guitar emphasised" songs (like Joe Satriani) and then becomes famous. After this the guy decides to start singing and the whole band "changes". So let's say a transformation from Joe Satriani into Pantera (though the music itself would be both, diverse).

This doesn't really describe Lukather's career.
Why would Steve Lukather join Pantera?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Tonto Goldstien
This doesn't really describe Lukather's career.

It's one example, which doesn't form part of the question. He's clarified further now anyway.

This difference in interpretation is something you will have to learn to deal with.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
It's one example, which doesn't form part of the question. He's clarified further now anyway.

He didn't so much clarify the original question as expand the scope of his inquiry.

Quote by AlanHB
This difference in interpretation is something you will have to learn to deal with.

It's not a difference in interpretation - it's a misinterpretation.

The OP used Joe Satriani as an example in his original post because Satriani meets the definition of a guitarist who initially achieved fame recording/performing instrumental guitar music and who later decided to try his hand at singing.

Lukather achieved fame in the band Toto - a group in which he was also a vocalist.

Prior to Toto, Luke's only professional gig of any consequence was a recording gig with Boz Skaggs - he was hardly "famous" at that point.
Quote by Tonto Goldstien
He didn't so much clarify the original question as expand the scope of his inquiry.

It's not a difference in interpretation - it's a misinterpretation.

The OP used Joe Satriani as an example in his original post because Satriani meets the definition of a guitarist who initially achieved fame recording/performing instrumental guitar music and who later decided to try his hand at singing.

But he never specifically said that it had to be instrumental music in the OP.

So it's not a misinterpretation.

If you want to be literal he did say guitar only, which would mean guitar performance with no singing and no non-guitar instruments.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Apr 26, 2015,
Quote by Tonto Goldstien

As his further information doesn't match the initial example, it's a clarification.

As for Lukather, he was in high demand as a session guitarist prior to Toto. Perhaps this doesn't match the "fame" requirement for you, but he definitely was seeing a level of success just with guitar prior to singing with Toto.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
As his further information doesn't match the initial example, it's a clarification.

As for Lukather, he was in high demand as a session guitarist prior to Toto. Perhaps this doesn't match the "fame" requirement for you, but he definitely was seeing a level of success just with guitar prior to singing with Toto.

Lukather wasn't in "high demand" as a session player prior to Toto.
His session career started roughly the same time as Toto.

I can't see how this meets the criteria for "famous" by anyone's definition.

Is Lukather one of the all-time greats? In my book, absolutely. But Luke wasn't "famous" by any stretch until he achieved recognition with Toto.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Are you guys for real right now? And people complain when we talk about what art is.

Let's talk about the hypothetical Satriani-fronted Pantera reformation. I think with Satch fronting the band they will return to their 80s sound.
Quote by theogonia777
But he never specifically said that it had to be instrumental music in the OP.

The OP said he was talking about someone who had achieved fame with "guitar only."

He then cited Joe Satriani as the example.

I suppose you could argue that the OP might have been talking about a non-singing guitarist in a group that featured vocals, but, given the Satriani reference, this seems like a less reasonable interpretation.
Quote by Tonto Goldstien
The OP said he was talking about someone who had achieved fame with "guitar only."

He then cited Joe Satriani as the example.

I suppose you could argue that the OP might have been talking about a non-singing guitarist in a group that featured vocals, but, given the Satriani reference, this seems like a less reasonable interpretation.

Satch didn't achieve fame with "guitar only" because he also had drums and such on his albums. You want to be literal, we can get literal.

I don't see why any of that matters anyway since the thread is all about Joe Satriani fronting Pantera now.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Are you guys for real right now? And people complain when we talk about what art is.

The problem is not the topic itself, but the fact that we have already talked it to death. And it just ends up being a war in the end.
Last edited by Elintasokas at Apr 26, 2015,
Quote by theogonia777
Satch didn't achieve fame with "guitar only" because he also had drums and such on his albums. You want to be literal, we can get literal.

He said "guitar only" - not "solo guitar."

At any rate, the winner here is Jet Penguin, who cited George Benson.

Benson is the perfect example of the kind of artist the OP was looking for (err....before the "clarification.")

Quote by Tonto Goldstien
He said "guitar only" - not "solo guitar."

At any rate, the winner here is Jet Penguin, who cited George Benson.

Benson is the perfect example of the kind of artist the OP was looking for (err....before the "clarification.")

"Guitar only" means that it is "only guitar" which means there can't be anything else but guitar. What country are you from?

And for the record Jet never wins because he's spending six figs on band camp.
Quote by Tonto Goldstien
Lukather wasn't in "high demand" as a session player prior to Toto.
His session career started roughly the same time as Toto.

I can't see how this meets the criteria for "famous" by anyone's definition.

Is Lukather one of the all-time greats? In my book, absolutely. But Luke wasn't "famous" by any stretch until he achieved recognition with Toto.

Sick. If you are correct do you have anything to add to the topic?
Soundcloud
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

Do you think Cage got famous before or after he switched from cray noises to silence?
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Do you think Cage got famous before or after he switched from cray noises to silence?

Silence is the craziest noise of all.
Hey, I'll have you know I worked myself to death for a nice fancy scholarship...

So five figs.

The real reason I never win is because I've traded my sanity for babysitting this forum and the back and forth with Kristen...
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Glad I could make a difference.
Quote by theogonia777
"Guitar only" means that it is "only guitar" which means there can't be anything else but guitar.

Um, no.

If a musician who plays "guitar only" achieves fame, it doesn't follow that he achieved that fame playing solo (i.e., unaccompanied) guitar.

Logic 101 stuff here.

Quote by theogonia777

What country are you from?

U.S.A. (currently traveling throughout S.E. Asia.)
Do they watch Pulp Fiction in the U.S.A.?
Quote by AlanHB
Sick. If you are correct do you have anything to add to the topic?

I don't think I want to try to follow Jet's post.

He totally nailed it.

Quote by theogonia777
Do they watch Pulp Fiction in the U.S.A.?

???

Holy non-sequiturs, Batman!
What is this thread??

Can you change your musical direction? Yes.
Have successful artists done it and continued to be successful? Yes.
Have successful artists done it and it failed? Yes
Are you too specific with your hypothetical examples? Probably.
Has this discussion turned? Yes
Is this thread closed now? Yes
Si