Hi guys,

I'm looking to try and record through my laptop using audacity and my Blackstar HT-5. Unfortunately the laptop does not have a mic input. I purchased an aux to usb cable thinking I might be able to work around it this way, but without plug and play or any relevant drivers, it does nothing.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make this setup work? Or am I destined to have to purchase some form of USB input?

Thanks
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
You are destined to read the stickies.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks for the advice buddy. Really useful.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Unless you have some type of audio input on your sound card (doesn't sounds like it), then unfortunately you're going to need some type of audio interface or sound card to make this work. Fortunately, there are relatively cheap interfaces out there on the market these days (e.g., Presonus Audiobox USB interface immediately comes to mind, which I own and am very pleased with). With such an interface, you can then route the aux output from the amp to the audio input of the interface, or plug the guitar directly to the interface and use amp sims on the computer (in either case I would also recommend an intermediate DI box between the audio signal and the interace input to ensure proper impedance matching and to prevent overloading the interface). Hope this helps...cheers!

EDIT: using an aux to USB converter won't do anything for you here unless you have some type of software that can decode/convert the analog audio signal to digital (not aware of any such software; it may very well exist, but even if it does I wouldn't recommend it as the power supplied by a USB port isn't going to provide sufficient pre-amplification to get a good signal for recording anyways)
Last edited by awp28 at Apr 25, 2015,
Quote by awp28
Unless you have some type of audio input on your sound card (doesn't sounds like it), then unfortunately you're going to need some type of audio interface or sound card to make this work. Fortunately, there are relatively cheap interfaces out there on the market these days (e.g., Presonus Audiobox USB interface immediately comes to mind, which I own and am very pleased with). With such an interface, you can then route the aux output from the amp to the audio input of the interface, or plug the guitar directly to the interface and use amp sims on the computer (in either case I would also recommend an intermediate DI box between the audio signal and the interace input to ensure proper impedance matching and to prevent overloading the interface). Hope this helps...cheers!

EDIT: using an aux to USB converter won't do anything for you here unless you have some type of software that can decode/convert the analog audio signal to digital (not aware of any such software; it may very well exist, but even if it does I wouldn't recommend it as the power supplied by a USB port isn't going to provide sufficient pre-amplification to get a good signal for recording anyways)

Thanks for the advice. I figured as much but thought I'd see if anyone else had had any luck through other means. Cheers!
Quote by CornLord

If you're not hellbent on getting decent-quality recordings and/or money/budget is the limiting factor, you can try something like the Behringer U-Control UCA202 interface (ca. 30 USD) and see how well it works (it would require an aux to RCA cable), but if you want to get into recording--be it for hobby, taking down ideas, or even professional purposes--I would recommend making the upfront investment for the appropriate recording gear; you get what you pay for, as the saying goes. It's a slippery slope though, I've been slowly building my home studio over the past 2-3 years or so, and I'm too scared to tally up the damage to my nest egg at this point. Good luck and happy recording!

EDIT: I also just found the Roland Duo-Capture via quick Google search which is around 40 USD and a little more robust than the UCA202 in terms of features
Last edited by awp28 at Apr 25, 2015,
Ts, yoiu can use 1/4 to USB cable, might have to play around with asio4all drivers and see if it works.

The USB cable should automatically be seen in Windows as a new interface input when plugged, same with Audacity, it should see it.

Is there setup info. on the USB guitar interface?