Hi all,

I have this annual gig to which I need a loud amp. Previously I've used a Marshall VS265, and even an Eleven Rack through an Alto ts112a, but I need something just a bit louder for next time. What wattage in a valve amp should I go for? Would a Fender Blues Jr do?

Cheers,
Kenneth
Quote by kenneho
I have this annual gig to which I need a PA system.
FTFY.

Unless the venue is reeeally small (say no more than 30 people all in front of the stage) the problem with gigging unmic'd will be related to sound dispersion, not volume.

Volume will be enough in most cases, but guitar speakers basically project different portions of the sound (frequency bands) in different directions, and some parts of the sound will be attenuated by travel through air before others, so unless the audience can be all contained in a relatively small space, different parts of the audience will hear different things, with most of them not hearing much good stuff.

So basically the way you're gonna get the result you hope for is to get a PA system, not a louder amp.

Also power is very loosely related to volume, especially in guitar amps.
Choose an amp that sounds good, run it through a mic and amplify what's coming from that mic.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thanks for the reply. Actually, the amp is for my on stage sound only, as we'll be using a PA system. With the Marshall amp I had too little headroom, so my clean sound got somewhat distorted. The Alto is probably loud enough coming to think of it, but I'm thinking more in the line of real guitar amps.
^ understood.

Well then, what sound do you wanna achieve (please give use songs/bands as reference) and what's your budget?
Do you want something new or used is fine as well?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
^ understood.

Well then, what sound do you wanna achieve (please give use songs/bands as reference) and what's your budget?
Do you want something new or used is fine as well?

Well, usually I play pop and jazz type of gigs, and use basically clean sounds. I prefer second hand amps over a new one, and might go for a range of brands (Fender, Vox, etc). My budget is somewhere in the order of 1000$. The most important thing is that the amp is louder than my Marshall VS265, because on this annual gig I have the Marshall haven't been loud enough.
How about a twin reverb?
A twin would work very very good for cleans if you ask me, tho you'll need pedals for distortion.
If you care about your ears that is.

That or a JC120 if you like its chorus.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
How about a twin reverb?
A twin would work very very good for cleans if you ask me, tho you'll need pedals for distortion.
If you care about your ears that is.

That or a JC120 if you like its chorus.

A twin reverb would definately be an excellent alternative. Carrying 64 lbs around doesn't sound too fun though, so I thought I'd look into somewhat smaller (Fender) amps that's still a bit louder than my Marshall. Any thought on how many watts I'd need?
If you're mic'ed, 20w? I was thinking Twin Reverb as well, before getting to Luca's post, are you a sissy? You can get wheels for it, even a dolly. It does seem like a Twin would serve you well, have you ever played one? Its not a metal amp but its so powerful it'll make your balls drop a lil lower.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Recommended threads
FAT Tony
TMVolta19
Last post:
by TMVolta19