Hi, I've played guitar for about 9 years now, and always had a bass lying round but I want to start properly learning it. I've started getting a rig together and I'm looking to get some pedals - first an OD.
As I've not properly played bass before I'm not really sure where to start! I've been to my local music shop and played a few but everything I've tried sounds really fuzzy and not the kind of thing that'd really cut through the mix. I want a nice tight, lightly distorted type of sound - so could someone point me in the right direction for some good pedals? Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoIWValLpQ0 This is the kind of sound I'm looking for
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
You could try a ProCo Rat. Those things have a reputation for being absolute animals, but they can do a really wide range of sounds. Also, they make bass-specific ODs. It's not clear if you were looking at bass ODs or not.
that clip sounds fuzzy to me
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You could also try out Tech21 Bass Driver. These pedals come with more guitar like distortion.
"dream your life and make it come true"
I would call that a pretty fuzzy bass distortion sound in the video.

My Sansamp Bass Driver gives a really crunchy bass overdrive tone.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
^ Yeah pretty much.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I take it back, that drive tone isn't as fuzzy as it could be, but I'll agree with the two above. That Bass Big Muff PI is probably going to get you there. Just don't set the drive too high or it wont sound as tight. You may need to fiddle with the eq.
I would suggest a couple of Sansamp pedals: VT Bass (Character Series), or Para Driver. The Sansamp Bass Driver is also good, but it has (in my opinion) an annoying feature with mid range control - there is no dedicated mid control and in fact, the mids are actually scooped if you boost bass or treble and then the mids are boosted if you cut bass or treble. The Para Driver has a separate mid control and a "mid shift" control.

These pedals are designed for bass, and although you can get a very fuzzy sound by turning the drive knob all the way up, you can also get the crunchy, dirty sound you are looking for. I like this same sound and this is why I own the Sansamp products.
Quote by fabianaryo
How about MXR?

I wouldn't. MXR for bass has always sounded like.... well, a buzzsaw.

Quote by smtp4me
I would suggest a couple of Sansamp pedals: VT Bass (Character Series), or Para Driver. The Sansamp Bass Driver is also good, but it has (in my opinion) an annoying feature with mid range control - there is no dedicated mid control and in fact, the mids are actually scooped if you boost bass or treble and then the mids are boosted if you cut bass or treble. The Para Driver has a separate mid control and a "mid shift" control.

These pedals are designed for bass, and although you can get a very fuzzy sound by turning the drive knob all the way up, you can also get the crunchy, dirty sound you are looking for. I like this same sound and this is why I own the Sansamp products.

I agree. Although the lack of a mids knob on the bass driver isn't the most annoying thing for me. If I want more mids I have a knob on my bass and two on my amp for that.
Quote by fabianaryo
How about MXR?

MXR's Blowtorch Bass Distortion appears to have some good tones in it, but must people who use it end up with a muddy, fizzy sound. I think you would have to work with it a bit to learn everything that it can do. It is certainly more complicated than are a lot of other bass distortion boxes.

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley