So I am getting ready to build or buy an amp stand for our upcoming gig. Where we practice at I have my amp up about 2 feet off the ground on a table. Now, looking through various amp stands I notice a lot of them are about 8-12 inches of the ground and tilt the amp. It would be a lot easier to build a small portable amp tilting stand than a big table to hold my Mesa 2X12 combo that weighs 90 pounds. Is there going to be a noticeable difference of sound in the audience? What do you guys use or prefer?
I would just go to Home Depot/Lowes/Menards/etc and get some nice sturdy wood to build a wooden crate big enough to hold your amp on it, then put an auralex gramma on top of that.

This way, you get both the benefit of decoupling your amp from the surface and having it risen.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
$50 for the auralex is not exactly what I had in mind. I have some plywood material at home and just dont know whether to put my efforts into a table riser or a tilt stand.
I'm pretty sure you can buy one for less than $40, especially if youre in the USA. I bought mine here for like $32 I do believe. it folds up super small, and it pretty sturdy.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
I use one of the OnStage RS7000 Tailback Amp Stands. Folds up flat, easy to transport, holds up to 150 lbs, I think. Adjustable height (17-24"). About $40 most places, but it seems there's always a sale or discount coupon around on those. I think I paid around $25 for mine.

Last edited by dspellman at Apr 25, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
I use one of the OnStage RS7000 Tailback Amp Stands. Folds up flat, easy to transport, holds up to 150 lbs, I think. Adjustable height (17-24"). About $40 most places, but it seems there's always a sale or discount coupon around on those. I think I paid around $25 for mine.

I have one of these, makes a huge difference to get your ears on axis.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by scottco86
So I am getting ready to build or buy an amp stand for our upcoming gig. Where we practice at I have my amp up about 2 feet off the ground on a table. Now, looking through various amp stands I notice a lot of them are about 8-12 inches of the ground and tilt the amp. It would be a lot easier to build a small portable amp tilting stand than a big table to hold my Mesa 2X12 combo that weighs 90 pounds. Is there going to be a noticeable difference of sound in the audience? What do you guys use or prefer?

I prefer tilt back legs. I like having the amp on the ground and tilted back on legs like a Twin. Sometimes I will just set it on top of the bass players ext speaker and point it towards me. It depends on how much stage we have to work with.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
My amp weighs the same and I use an angled stand. I have to run it on the lowest height otherwise it overbalances. But being angled it still works just fine.
It's basically the same as the one dspellman posted but I flip the top sections around to give me the best stability. I don't want a 90 lb amp falling onto the drum kit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I built a tilt back stand using PVC pipe. If you use thick wall Schedule 40 PVC it should hold the weight, I made mine from 1/2 inch since I'm just using it for a Fender Champ. For a larger amp I might go with one inch pipe.

IMGP27118 by Paleo Pete, on Flickr

IMGP27115 by Paleo Pete, on Flickr

This stand tilts the amp back so that about 6 to 8 feet in front of it the amp is pointed at my ears, not my knees. I've used it onstage at low volume gigs a dozen times and at band practice, it works great. It can also be lightly sanded and painted black for looks. The front legs are not glued, so I can swap them for longer ones if I need to, so far I've never even made the longer ones, this setup works perfect. No need to sand it much, just enough to rough up the surface a little so the paint will stick good, probably a light sanding with 180 grit would do fine, 5 minutes. I glued everything but the front legs, I wanted them removable.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Apr 26, 2015,
Quote by Cathbard
I don't want a 90 lb amp falling onto the drum kit.

Nah. I'd reserve that pleasure for a much LARGER amp.