Not sure what other word to use to describe this tone I love. See the little fill here at 1:05 and 1:56.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR78jBPtBW0

Or a tone like the bass in this song (in general)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GjQqjogzGc

I've been most interested in the Tech 21 VT Bass Rack, but no idea if it can do this tone or not. Also been looking at the RBI, I guess, is the popular one? But it seems like the VT Bass can do what it does and more. At least on paper.

I've also seen the Ampeg SVP Pro, but I haven't been able to get a good feel for what it can do. It's hard to find demos of people not playing funky stuff.

I would like to spend around $250 or less, if possible.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I will have a spare Yamaha PB-1 available in a couple of weeks.

I guy who has a page on pre-amps has compared so many, yet on the Yamaha, he says, if you can find one, Buy it.

I might be able to ship for 250.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Can never go wrong with Sansamp, I have both RBI and RPM in my setup.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Your parts on the record are really killer. Personally I like it a little more when you can actually hear the bass over the guitars, especially with lower tunings. What kind of gear did you use while recording to get that sound?

Well to record the record I used a Kemper unit, which is a guitar modeling frame that literally simulates every head and cabinet that you could imagine. For my bass tone I used a direct-in with a Kemper, and then I blended it with a Sansamp PSA-1 which is one of the best, if not the best, bass racks that you can buy. I’m actually pretty sure they stopped making them. They’re one of the best things to have.

(source)

Kemper

Sansamp

How much money ya got?
It doesn't get any better than a Demeter, but you probably couldn't buy the empty chassis for $250.00:

Would that they all sounded as good as does this one!

If the original recording is making use of a Kemper Profiling Amplifier, then you may have a hard time nailing the sound with any preamp. The Kemper has tremendous tone-shaping capabilities. With that, you are in the price range of high-end gear like the Fractal Audio Axe-FX.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley