A couple of months ago I had built my PC and was gonna start home-recording, so I ended up getting the newest M-Audio M-track (white and has 2 inputs XLR-1/4 capable), and I was on Craigslist one day and saw a 24 channel analog mixer for $50. My initial thought was to buy it. But it said the left output was broken. I still took a chance and bought it. Then did some tinkering and got it to work.

So it goes like this, Guitar -> Pedals-> Amp-> Mic-> Analog Mixer-> Composite R&L-> Quarter Inch to Composite Stereo adapter-> Audio Interface-> PC.

But I want to make it more useful as a mixer. The mixer is huge and takes up a lot of space. I can't have it against a wall because the inputs are in the back. I don't necessarily need all of those inputs, but when I start recording a whole band at once, it'd be once.

So my issue is this, today I was recording someone and it seemed like everything wasn't going right. My program wasn't working as right, the interface was acting funny. I wish it was easier for it to be to turn an analog mixer into a digital. But my question Is this, what should I do? The most I use at once is 8 inputs, and I want to be able to edit the sound after I record it. So it understand that I move it up 3 decibels and it'll move on my PC. So A) is it possible to change an analog to a digital, if not B) what's a good 12 or so channel digital mixer and what would be a good price for my mixer?
1996 Fender Tex Mex Stratocaster
1994 Ibanez Iceman ICB300 Bass
2011 Custom Gibson Les Paul
1984 Morley Power Wah
Squier P Bass
1983 Peavey Session 500
Line 6 POD 2.0.
Various BOSS Pedals
Pearl Forum Series Drums
Most DAW workstations are digital mixers. All you need is an 8 input interface and you are there. The 24ch board will be useful for live work but just gets in the way when recording 2 channels. No way to "update" your board to digital.

Also, lose the composite L/R connectors and run your mic directly into the interface.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 25, 2015,
^ up for that, listen to daddy, TS.

Tho I'd say the analog board will not be very useful for live work 'cause it's missing one output channel.

Without an audio interface with more input channels you'll be able to record as much as 24 channels bounced into two tracks, so you won't be able to edit them separately after they left the mixer to go into the interface.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
You can use insert points on a mixer to audio card inputs, that's as useful as it gets.

Digital mixers - I like Allen and Heath's 16 ch. with FireWire. There's also the Presonus and Behringer that are quite popular. You might go to the store for demos on these, I think the audio interfaces on them are extra.

I'd just suggest you get a bigger input interface, something with12 ch. or more.
If you can afford the space, you might not want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Yes, a full sized analog mixer is a space hog. Consider this as a possibility:

1. The preamps in it *might* be better than the preamps in many digital interfaces.
2. So, get an interface with a bunch of line-ins. Use direct outs from each channel on the analog mixer to the line-ins of an interface.
3. Use the aux buses on the mixer to independently create monitor mixes for other performers (ie. the bass player wants more kick drum but the singer wants more vocal). Using the aux buses for this will allow you to do this independently of the recording levels going to the mixer.

That's what I used to do.

Note though that I don't anymore. It was the best solution for me at the time, but it doesn't suit my needs now.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Since your interface is only stereo, you can submix on the mixer. Actually plenty of options to consider...

For example I have 8 input interface so when I track a full band with drummer, I have to submix the drummer as I can't get all the channels. So I feed all the mics to the toms to the mixer, so instead of 4 or 6 toms (I record metal dudes) which take 4 or 6 inputs on the interace, you have 2 inputs since it is stereo mix. You have to get the panning right.

Same thing with overheads - sometimes I have more than 2 overheads, so I submix these to stereo, with the panning as I want it to come out.

Since my mixer is 4 bus, I can send the toms to outs 1&2 and the overheads to outputs 3&4.

Or another way to work is if you want to track drums in more detail you can submix the whole band down to one track which will leave me 7 open tracks for drums.

Another use for mixer - monitoring with effects, no latency. I feed my DAW outputs back into the mixer, the input from my guitar is split and it goes direct into the audio interface->DAW via a DI, my guitar processor, or guitar mic goes direct into the mixer as a monitoring device.

If I don't want to split the signal, I can use the inserts on the mixer to record direct into the audio interface, while I can use the Aux to feed the signal with some extra effects as I have outboard Reverb and another processor that has bunch of other stuff as delay, chorus, etc.

If you use the mixer as the central hub for your monitoring, you won't have to worry about the audio interface latency...unless you want to track with amp emulation in the box, in which case you need to hear the effected signal as it passes through the DAW and you'd have to live with latency.

If you don't want to reach at the back you can get a recording snake or a patchbay.

Here are more articles for the OP if he wants to look into it further:

http://ethanwiner.com/mixer2daw.html

http://www.theoreticallycorrect.com/digital-audio/monitor-latency-solutions.html

These guys use insert points but if you have limited input count and want to submix channels, you can use the Aux busses or the main busses even as long as you know what you're doing with signal flow.