Hello,

I'm looking for a 3-channel (like a clean, crunch, and lead) guitar combo amp. I'm not a metal player so ultra high gain won't be necessary. I've heard of Mesa Boogie's and the Carvin V3M already, so this thread is more to see what other brands people on this board are using that fit the description, just to see what all the options are. Budget is $900 new/used.
Carvin and Mesa are the 3 chnl kings. I have one (Mesa) but only ever use 2 channels. Lots of other ways to skin that cat.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
you could also get something like the two channel Carvin Belair (2x12) or Nomad (1x12) which has a great beautiful clean channel 1 , channel 2 is a mild crunch , then just use a nice OD pedal on the clean channel for your lead , much lower than your budget ...... I have a V3m head and Mesa MK V head , love them both but if you don't need the high gain there almost no point in the 3 channels
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Apr 25, 2015,
Egnater Tourmaster
Peavey JSX
EVH 5150 III
Marshall JVM410C (if you're insanely lucky)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Rm100
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Fumble fingers
you could also get something like the two channel Carvin Belair (2x12) or Nomad (1x12) which has a great beautiful clean channel 1 , channel 2 is a mild crunch , then just use a nice OD pedal on the clean channel for your lead , much lower than your budget ...... I have a V3m head and Mesa MK V head , love them both but if you don't need the high gain there almost no point in the 3 channels

^^ This gives me the tone I prefer over the 3 chnls
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
A Brunetti Maranello? Not sure how much they go for in the US and wether they're even available.
H&K Tubemeister 36? No personal experience with it, but some people I know like it a lot and it sounds good in demo's.
The Egnater Tourmaster is available in a way too heavy combo as well, for what it's worth.
laney ironheart is another option.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Yeah, the Peavey JSX, XXX and Ultra are all available used and cost <$600 used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
my personal favorite would be the Carvin V3MC, but those are pretty expensive. There is a 1x12 V3MC on ebay for $600 which is about as low as you may find them.

other options are the peavey JSX and XXX 2x12 combos which are easily found used at less than $500. fantastic sounding amps.

the bugera 333 and 333xl combos are cheap amps that are based on the XXX and JSX but are often known to be somewhat unreliable. but they still manage to sound as fantastic as the JSX and XXX. These are found at $500 new. they come with a nice little feature that biases tubes automatically which saves time and headaches. unfortunately this is the feature that fails for many people.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Do the JVM 210s come with the footswitchable solo boost? if you want that sound that and an od would do wonders.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by gregs1020
laney ironheart is another option.

Took a look at the specs...wow! Ability to dial down the wattage/having a DI out will be useful as heck, especially for the times I play Sunday services.
Quote by Always-Ben
Took a look at the specs...wow! Ability to dial down the wattage/having a DI out will be useful as heck, especially for the times I play Sunday services.

But you still need a speaker cab/load connected or you will fry the OT
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
But you still need a speaker cab/load connected or you will fry the OT

But if I get the combo, that won't be a problem. Right?
Quote by Always-Ben
But if I get the combo, that won't be a problem. Right?

No you should be fine if it is a combo, just leave the speaker connected
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Maybe Laney VC50 ? It's cheap amp, but absolutely amazing. It has 2 channels but in practical use it has 4.