Hi all,

So I got an Orange OR15 and 2x12 cab, which I'm using with a Fender deluxe stratocaster. Because it's a single channel Valve amp, I dial it in by cranking the power tubes and setting the pre-amp gain such that when my guitar volume is open (10) it gives me medium crunchy gain, but when rolled back around 6/7 it gives me a clean tone.

However, the clean tone is not as loud as when the volume knob is open for gain, and I can't live with this because I need the clean to be on same level as my dirt.

Solutions? Or perhaps opinions on the following possible solutions:

1) engaging a clean boost when I roll back my guitar's volume and disengaging it when opening it
2) dialing pre-amp back a bit so amp is clean/just about to break up when guitar volume is fully opened, and then using a boost to take it to dirt territory

With regard to option 2, will a boost pedal drive just my pre-amp tubes and leave my overall volume in tact? I'm looking at the walrus audio plainsman and wampler decibel, tc electronics spark booster mini etc.

Thanks!
Last edited by proXy124c41 at Apr 26, 2015,
Full gain will always seem louder. Running the amp at the loudest clean setting and using a OD pedal for dirt will volume compensate some. It's like having 2 stages of gain.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
^ I agree with cajundaddy too, that's what I do for low volume playing. But if you're playing loud, a compressor would give you a bit more oomph while staying clean as a whistle (to an extent).

I like using a compressor for sparkly clean cleans. It adds some thump and allows you to manipulate your clean tone volume a lil bit. I would think any (good) boost/od pedal would help your cause as well, but imo a compressor may be exactly what you're looking for.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 26, 2015,
Will an overdrive really maintain the tone I get if I had to crank the preamp gain on my orange? I tried some dirt pedals like the wampler euphoria and tonebone classic and it sounds thin and cold compared to my amps dirt.

Sorry, kind of a noob in this department.
Last edited by proXy124c41 at Apr 26, 2015,
Put the boost in your FX loop.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Good idea! Do you have an opinion on which boost? Diamond EQ seems good, but Walrus Audio plainsman and Zvex super hard on seems good too?
MXR 10 band EQ.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yes do this.

Also turn down the master volume and turn up the pre-gain so that you don't get a distorted signal when you engage the clean boost in the loop.
Quote by proXy124c41
Good idea! Do you have an opinion on which boost? Diamond EQ seems good, but Walrus Audio plainsman and Zvex super hard on seems good too?
The super hard on doesn't make nearly as much sense if you put it in the fx loop, so considering its price I'd rather get something else.

Whatever good clean boost will do, really.
TC spark, CAE boost/line driver, suhr koko...

Or you may get yourself an MXR 10 band EQ so you have yourself a graphic EQ as well.

EDIT: ninja'd by cath
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The good news is, that in live settings playing clean usually means that your volume can become a little lower as the rest of the band also plays more gently.

I can imagine an overdriven solo over clean rhythm - can't imagine the opposite... unless that's some new rock style I never heard about... (educate me!!!!)

I'd get an overdrive pedal though anyway. They are fun.
There's one more option - getting a second amp for cleans and using an ABY pedal to switch between the two amps.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I got outbid in the last 5 seconds for the HBE Detox EQ

Is there another pedal that will do the exact same thing?
Quote by proXy124c41
I got outbid in the last 5 seconds for the HBE Detox EQ

Is there another pedal that will do the exact same thing?

How much are you willing to spend?

There are a few sites that have them but they run $200ish

I don't know of any other pedal that does the same thing
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ideally less than $140, because I'm actually from South Africa and so I'm importing (so shipping and tax is being slammed on top of whatever I pay).

Would the Earthquaker Devices Tone Job do the same thing? It essentially has the same knobs - level, bass, treble, mids - so I could reduce level and eq to get the sparkle back in the cleans?
or..turn the gain up, shirt your spectrum. you will get a little dirtier, lose come crystal cleans and get some slight breakup cleans, but come on, with a low wattage signel channel amp, we all love those slightly broken up cleans. there will be more of the compression and harmonic content aka the perceived loudness.

or yeah, use a boost.

really, for a quality single channel amp, i cant beleive you arent running a OD and a boost.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by proXy124c41
Hi, what do you mean by "shirt your spectrum"?

Thanks

I don't know, but if you put the amp at the edge of sounding dirty, use the guitar volume to get your cleans and an OD pedal like a Ibanez TS9 or Digitech bad monkey to boost the signal you can get some cleans and a decent dirty sound.

The Detox EQ would really be your very best bet IMO.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate