Can this be done? Right now I am running a Pod HD500x into an Engl powerball II using the 4-cable method. Was considering buying the Digitech Drop pedal but unsure if it can be used in conjunction with the Pod.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I know pros do it. Steve Stevens' touring rig is a mix of multiple single pedals and MFX units and rack mounts and all kinds of stuff.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
It only works with mahogany guitars with P90s. If you were to try to use something like a Strat with an mfx AND single pedals you'll overload the timeflux capacitor and send the alpha-bearings into a linear megawarp
and anything within 50' will either explode or be sent back in time 30 years. Keith Richards once tried to do this on purpose but it worked in reverse for some reason.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
It only works with mahogany guitars with P90s. If you were to try to use something like a Strat with an mfx AND single pedals you'll overload the timeflux capacitor and send the alpha-bearings into a linear megawarp
and anything within 50' will either explode or be sent back in time 30 years. Keith Richards once tried to do this on purpose but it worked in reverse for some reason.

Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by lucky1978

This isn't quite right. I use a mahogany guitar with humbuckers and nothing has ever exploded. Yet.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by amonamarthmetal
Can this be done? Right now I am running a Pod HD500x into an Engl powerball II using the 4-cable method. Was considering buying the Digitech Drop pedal but unsure if it can be used in conjunction with the Pod.

Of course it can be done.
Quote by diabolical
You'll have to either put it up front or in the loop which goes into the amp input.

Short answer is "you can".

This is the only thing that was helpful and I don't even understand it.

Everyone else, this isn't the pit. You aren't funny. Even if your parents tell you that you are.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by amonamarthmetal
This is the only thing that was helpful and I don't even understand it.

The POD HD500X has its own FX loop. You can place its FX loop wherever you want in your chain, since you're already running it in 4CM.

You can place other pedals before the POD input or after the POD output, which will send it through the Engl's FX loop, and you can put pedals in the POD's FX loop, which will send it wherever you have the FX loop to go.

This is based on the assumption that the POD runs in 4CM the same way that the traditional Boss units do. I don't know if the signal routing in the POD has been configured so that 4CM actually runs the POD's loop in the amp's loop and the POD's output to the amp's input.

In any case, none of that even matters, as you'll want a pitch shifting pedal like the Drop to be the first thing your signal reaches. Your signal is going to hit that before the POD or the amp even enter the equation.

Quote by amonamarthmetal

Everyone else, this isn't the pit. You aren't funny. Even if your parents tell you that you are.

For the sake of playing Devil's Advocate, it is a little odd that you have the level of gear you have and you haven't thought how you could run additional pedals or even just tried it to see.

Think of it like this. The POD is just another pedal. A pedal that happens to be able to do a LOT of stuff, but it's still just a pedal. Some regular pedals like distortions and delays have their own FX loops. The POD can behave the same way. There's no logical reason why you couldn't route other pedals with it.

Just think of how you can run different guitars into your rig - which can have different outputs and tones. Similar effects can be achieved with an EQ pedal, if you can run different guitars, of course you can run an EQ pedal, and everything else is just an extension of that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 29, 2015,
Quote by Offworld92

For the sake of playing Devil's Advocate, it is a little odd that you have the level of gear you have and you haven't thought how you could run additional pedals or even just tried it to see.

Yeah, this is pretty much what happened, OP. Everybody was surprised that someone with the equipment you have, and the know-how to be using the 4 cable method, wasn't aware that MFX pedals are just pedals, and can be run with other pedals just like anything else.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by lucky1978

+1
Ever wonder where they got the idea for the album "A Bigger Bang"?

Quote by Offworld92
The POD HD500X has its own FX loop. You can place its FX loop wherever you want in your chain, since you're already running it in 4CM...

Think of it like this. The POD is just another pedal. A pedal that happens to be able to do a LOT of stuff, but it's still just a pedal. Some regular pedals like distortions and delays have their own FX loops. The POD can behave the same way. There's no logical reason why you couldn't route other pedals with it.
extension of that.

+1
In all seriousness though,

Following suit with what lucky said.
It's a great & simple way to think about it just being another pedal.
Now depending on what you're actually running through with the POD it can yield totally different results from what you're expecting. it ends becoming a matter of visualing what's actually going through in your (for lack of a better term) "virtual effects chain" with the POD + your other physical pedals.
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
Last edited by xvasmx at Apr 30, 2015,
The only thing I'd be wary about is using distortions with a multi effects. You'll def want the distortions before the amp preamp and the mfx in the effects loop. Anything else and you might end up with a really muddy, terribly hard clipped tone. I wouldn't use heavy delays or verbs either, use the mfx for that. If you're using amp sims, you're going to have to do a lot of tone work.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 30, 2015,
Quote by TS
.. the Digitech Drop pedal ..

Surely put it in front of the Pod. You'll want the purest signal you can get so as not to confuse the transposing, so Guitar > Drop > Pod etc. Can't imagine it's gonna like being fed anything distorted or compressed, let alone modulated.

The rest of you could do with actually reading and addressing the question.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A