So after years of not buying any new guitars and dealing with a couple of old ones after a break in lost me all I had before, I finally got enough cash to commit to a brand new instrument, and given where my tastes and style lie, it had to be an ERG. And when the local guitar shop had an Ibanez RG8 on for $525 CDN, I knew I was going to have it.

Pictures! Sorry for the blurriness, I shot them with a potato.

Now, I know, a lot of you are probably gonna be like "blah blah blah open string chugging and djenting", and others are going to be like "now you have to change the pickups and repaint it and throw twice as much money at it before it's an even passable eight-string", but I'm gonna clear these up right now: I do play progressive metal, but it's more of the Pain Of Salvation/Haken/Fates Warning variety than the Periphery/TesseracT stuff. That said, I could play djent on it now, and I might, but ehn. Really I'm just rewriting some of my stuff to accomodate that low F# string! I've tried a couple of easier AAL riffs on it, but I'm gonna be sticking to my usual style. I'm no shredder, I'm more of a melody guy.

As for the pickups, they do sound a little muddy, but enough tweaking of my amp and effect settings makes it sound pretty good, actually. I will probably swap out the pickups eventually, but at least the current pickups are not terrible

Some more initial thoughts on the RG8, my first eight-string:

- The neck is so wiiiiide. And flat. Next to my 6-string, it looks huuuuuge.
- Even though this is Ibanez's budget 8-string, I have to admire a couple of the really nice touches they put on it. Like the logo being what looks like a mother-of-pearl inlay instead of just a white decal like on my AX7221. The truss rod cover looks neat too. The fret dressing is actually pretty nice on this axe, too.
- Best upper fret access of any guitar I've ever owned, hands-down.
- Stays in tune surprisingly well. Have not had an issue with it yet!
- Through the amp at the store, the neck pickup seemed to lack any oomph on the low F#, but even through my Orange practice amp, the neck pickup sounds much better.
- I have owned it for only a matter of hours and I'm already experimenting with drop tunings like drop-E (EBEADGBE) for Animals As Leaders stuff, and "drop-A" (EAEADGBE). I thought I was gonna keep this thing in standard!

So, basically, I'm in love with this guitar.

Now, I need to find me some tabs I can play on this behemoth
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Did you mean to say 4 or 3 instead of 5 because they can be bought new with free shipping for 487 canadian.
Quote by Wormholes
Did you mean to say 4 or 3 instead of 5 because they can be bought new with free shipping for 487 canadian.

From where? The couple of Canadian sites I checked out had them at about $500, which is close enough to what I paid anyways. I bought mine at a local guitar shop brand new, I didn't want to deal with shipping costs or wait times or customs or anything like that. Just wanted the convenience of walking into a guitar shop, walking out with a new guitar :P

Also it's Sudbury, Ontario. There aren't a lot of guitar shops here, and fewer eight-strings. I expected a bit of a mark-up.
Still a decent deal as the canadian dollar is really weak, did you have to pay tax on top of that price?
HNGD

Too many strings for me, but it does look cool. Way to support your local shop also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Way to support your local shop also

+1

nice guitar!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I did have to pay taxes, sadly

Quote by Robbgnarly
HNGD

Too many strings for me, but it does look cool. Way to support your local shop also

And honestly, I get a lot of the criticisms of "too many strings" or "great now everyone's just gonna play 00000 in drop-Z tuning", but so far, I've been working with it as a new texture in my playing, and not really trying to emulate any particular eight-string sound with it. It's a good creative vehicle for reimagining some of my old 7-string songs, and it's made some of my heavy riffs even heavier! With enough imagination, I can wrangle some beautiful and beautifully ugly sounds out of this instrument.
Quote by travislausch
I did have to pay taxes, sadly

And honestly, I get a lot of the criticisms of "too many strings" or "great now everyone's just gonna play 00000 in drop-Z tuning", but so far, I've been working with it as a new texture in my playing, and not really trying to emulate any particular eight-string sound with it. It's a good creative vehicle for reimagining some of my old 7-string songs, and it's made some of my heavy riffs even heavier! With enough imagination, I can wrangle some beautiful and beautifully ugly sounds out of this instrument.

Its not that really, I'm just not a big user of 7+ string guitars. I'm completely happy with 6
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I'm completely happy with 6

My bandmate just got himself an eight-string as well (a multi-scale Halo Seraphim) and he's all about retiring his 6-string and whatnot, and I just can't do the same thing. I still love my 6-string and my 7-string and have no plans to retire them

But I also love my 8-string. I'd even be willing to try that new Ibanez 9-string, but I feel like 8 is my limit. For starters, the low C# on the RG9 is too low for me. I have a hard enough time fathoming the low F# as it is. And just physically getting my hands around it, the 8-string is probably my limit for comfortable playing.