I am looking to get back into playing and as such I need to get a good practice amp. I live in an apartment so I don't need a lot of power but I am going to need a headphone jack. I intend to at long last learn to play the blues, not play at the blues but actually play the blues. Right now the two amps I have been looking at are the Fender Mustang 2 or the Fender Champion 40 (or 20). I like the traditional Fender looks of the Champion. I kind of like all the amp emulations and effects on the Mustang. I am a little afraid all that stuff (on the Mustang 2) might be a bit overwhelming, as in more than I really need.
My manager uses the Mustang III to much success (he is in a local cover band that regularly gets gigs).

That being said, you could probably get away with a low wattage tube amp, especially since you are playing blues. Something like a Vox AC4 would likely be killer.

What guitar are you using?
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
I think you are right to be cautious of being distracted by all the FX on modelling amps, but OTOH, they are an inexpensive way to explore different sounds. How about something like a Roland Microcube?

FWIW, I use a well-modded (biright) Epi VJ with the volume down around acoustic guitar levels, and a few pedals.
Quote by Sunfist
I am looking to get back into playing and as such I need to get a good practice amp. I live in an apartment so I don't need a lot of power but I am going to need a headphone jack. I intend to at long last learn to play the blues, not play at the blues but actually play the blues. Right now the two amps I have been looking at are the Fender Mustang 2 or the Fender Champion 40 (or 20). I like the traditional Fender looks of the Champion. I kind of like all the amp emulations and effects on the Mustang. I am a little afraid all that stuff (on the Mustang 2) might be a bit overwhelming, as in more than I really need.

Add a SuperChamp X2 to your list. Great blues tones in there and it's pretty cheap. I like it a lot better than the Champion 40 or Mustang.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by BV-95
My manager uses the Mustang III to much success (he is in a local cover band that regularly gets gigs).

That being said, you could probably get away with a low wattage tube amp, especially since you are playing blues. Something like a Vox AC4 would likely be killer.

What guitar are you using?

I have an old Gibson Les Paul Studio. Thinking of maybe switching it out to a new Fender MIM Strat.
Quote by Sunfist
I have an old Gibson Les Paul Studio. Thinking of maybe switching it out to a new Fender MIM Strat.

Why would you downgrade like that?
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Quote by BV-95
Why would you downgrade like that?

The Gibson Studios are good. I would never call them that great.

I also don't know what Strat he's talking about, but I'd pick a nice MIM tele over a LP studio basically any day of the week.

I've actually been meaning to do a post about Gibson's Quality Control. My SG standard was handed to me from Gibson less than a year ago, and while it took a huge beating (touring 10 months out of the year) it is way worse off than my other guitars. Especially the MIM tele. I regret selling that tele to this day.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
The mustang is incredibly easy to use. Off the bat you have your standard tone and volume controls, an amp modeler which cycles through various present amp and effect configurations, then modulation and timing (delay/reverb) effect knobs. The modulation and timing can be set for any model or preset. If you choose to hook it up to a computer it actually becomes much easier, because there is a nice graphic layout so you can choose the preset/amp/speaker through drop down menus, and there are blank spaces before the amp and in the fx loop to add effects. Its incredibly versatile and has a ton of features. I bought a used tube amp on a whim so I ended up selling my mustang, although I kinda regret the decision. I like the sound and responsiveness of tubes, but the mustang was a really great practice amp.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
Quote by Katsock
The Gibson Studios are good. I would never call them that great.

I also don't know what Strat he's talking about, but I'd pick a nice MIM tele over a LP studio basically any day of the week.

I've actually been meaning to do a post about Gibson's Quality Control. My SG standard was handed to me from Gibson less than a year ago, and while it took a huge beating (touring 10 months out of the year) it is way worse off than my other guitars. Especially the MIM tele. I regret selling that tele to this day.

I don't think anybody would say teles don't stand up to abuse well. They're pretty much indestructible, even knockoffs never break. Drop a LP, break the head off. Drop a tele, break the floor.
But that aside ... depends on what you're playing really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cajundaddy
Add a SuperChamp X2 to your list. Great blues tones in there and it's pretty cheap. I like it a lot better than the Champion 40 or Mustang.

+1 they are pretty decent amps for the price. way better than the mustang or champion IMO. even the XD is nice too.

or maybe look into one of the 4 watt vox's. they are pretty nice.

i have to add one of my favorites, stick a 1x12" and an OD, and get an orange microterror. i will be getting one at some point in time. the 8" speaker sucks, but with a good speaker and a boost, its a pretty badass little amp. it has an auxiliary in and a headphoneo out the headphone out isn't the best though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/