Page 1 of 2
At the Orpheum in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Tickets were sold out; the place was packed.

Delain, the first supporting act, put on a great set. Good energy. Tight musicianship.

Sabaton, the second supporting act, stole the whole show. Unbelievable showmanship, stellar stage presence, great interaction with the crowd (including the singer giving his trademark aviators to a 9-year-old in the crowd as a souvenir), and endless energy. One of the best shows I've ever seen a live band put on.

Nightwish featured their new singer, Floor Jansen (ex After Forever), and a concert DVD was being shot at the venue. I have to admit, I did not enjoy their set. I was not the only one; the entire crowd seemed to deflate throughout their set. Floor had no stage presence; the best she offered was some halfhearted head banging in instrumental sections. The mix was much louder for Night wish than it had been for the first two supporting bands and they scooped the mids, to the point where all I could hear was a muddy mess of sloppy bass and cymbals.

Overall, it was a great night. Like I said, Sabaton stole the show, but it's still great to be able to check Nightwish off of my "bands to see live" list.
Last edited by NABEF9 at Apr 26, 2015,
I saw them in Chicago last weekend. Delain were pretty solid, but Sabaton were great. They had everyone laughing and cheering, it was fun. Nightwish took a while to finally get up on stage, but when they did I thought it was pretty good. The mids were a bit scooped but I could hear everything fine.

IMO Floor did a great job, I didn't feel like her stage presence was lacking, but that might be because I was standing pretty close to her and Emppu. I loved their set, so excited to hear Stargazers and Walking In The Air (though let's face it, Floor's a killer vocalist but I'd kill to hear Tarja sing those again). Overall I thought it was a great night, too. I saw Tuomas on the way to the bathroom, too, before Delain went up.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Schecter Damien Platinum FR
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
For future reference, I would recommend not telling people that you saw Nightwish play live. Ideally I would recommend that you avoid them altogether, but you've already seen them live so all you can do is damage control.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
For future reference, I would recommend not telling people that you saw Nightwish play live. Ideally I would recommend that you avoid them altogether, but you've already seen them live so all you can do is damage control.
I saw Nightwish live.
Quote by NABEF9
I saw Nightwish live.

I fell asleep while seeing them live, at their DVD performance at Wacken 2013...although that was probably because of alcohol and exhaustion rather than being bored. But still. Not entertaining enough to keep a stoned, drunk guy awake

I saw Sabaton 2 years ago and I have to say I found their performance rather annoying and over-theatrical, even more than Bruce Dickinsons stage behaviour, though I have to admit that the crowd absolutely loved them.

And regarding the ,, headliner being louder than the supporting act'' thing that TS was talking about...I don't know how many shows you have seen or where you live, but over here it's pretty normal that way.
Error 404 - Signature not available.
Quote by Oh_My_Goth
I fell asleep while seeing them live, at their DVD performance at Wacken 2013...although that was probably because of alcohol and exhaustion rather than being bored. But still. Not entertaining enough to keep a stoned, drunk guy awake

I saw Sabaton 2 years ago and I have to say I found their performance rather annoying and over-theatrical, even more than Bruce Dickinsons stage behaviour, though I have to admit that the crowd absolutely loved them.

And regarding the ,, headliner being louder than the supporting act'' thing that TS was talking about...I don't know how many shows you have seen or where you live, but over here it's pretty normal that way.
I think that it's normal everywhere; however, I haven't heard it blasted to the point that I couldn't distinguish the notes of the guitar and vocals over the bass and drums before. And it's not as if I had poor seating; I was ten rows back in the Orpheum (which has amazing acoustics). I saw Dream Theater/Opeth at the Orpheum in 2008 and the sound was incredible. So it's definitely not the venue.
Yea they do that. I was at this Delain/Kamelot show. I don't care much for Delain but they sounded alright live and the chick is hot. Kamelot come out and sound like shit. Although they had the frontwoman of The Agonist (the one that's in Arch Enemy) guest vocaling and she is also hot. I was like 2nd row right by the PA too, probably not a good idea.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Quote by theogonia777

Why do you say that, exactly?
My Gear:
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
Quote by Domguy99
Why do you say that, exactly?
I'm guessing hipsteritis
Suggestion to the TS: this is where you say: "Here's a tall glass of STFU; I enjoy the music and I don't recall asking you what I may and may not like, so **** off."
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
Quote by Sewe Dae
Suggestion to the TS: this is where you say: "Here's a tall glass of STFU; I enjoy the music and I don't recall asking you what I may and may not like, so **** off."

Eh, it's a public forum; everyone is entitled to their opinions here. But I appreciate the sentiment.
Quote by progbass
It's metal for people who don't listen to metal

Obviously not because I listen to metal (don't use my profile as a reference, it's outdated as hell). Huge fan of Amon Amarth, Bolt Thrower, Blind Guardian, Slayer, and I listen to a lot of other bands from time to time.

But that's enough of that, if it's listed in the Metal Encyclopedia as metal that's good enough for me. Even if it's not "trve" metal, I'm still a fan.
My Gear:
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
Quote by Domguy99
Obviously not because I listen to metal (don't use my profile as a reference, it's outdated as hell). Huge fan of Amon Amarth, Bolt Thrower, Blind Guardian, Slayer, and I listen to a lot of other bands from time to time.

But that's enough of that, if it's listed in the Metal Encyclopedia as metal that's good enough for me. Even if it's not "trve" metal, I'm still a fan.

It's gay pussy metal
Quote by Ironic Maiden
It's gay pussy metal

In fact out of all of the people I know outside of UG that likes Nightwish, every single one is a lesbian.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Well I know a lot of (straight, if it really matters) men (like myself) that like Nightwish. And tell that all the guys that came to watch them in Chicago, there were guys wearing Amon Amarth and Wacken shirts. Doesn't sound very pussy if you ask me.
My Gear:
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
Quote by Ironic Maiden
It's gay pussy metal

I took this as you calling Bolt Thrower gay pussy metal. You didn't, right?
Quote by CelestialGuitar
The fedora is strong with this one.

I don't think the cunt with a profile written in third-person is in any position to be dishing out slaggings.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
I took this as you calling Bolt Thrower gay pussy metal. You didn't, right?

Any band capable of putting out an album like In Battle There is No Law is the opposite of gay pussy metal
Nice review! I saw them at the Denver show and Sabaton too gave his shades to a 10 year old girl in the balcony. The crowed cheered more for Sabaton than Nightwish.

Nightwish is my favorite band and I take heavy influence from them, so being 20ft from Tuomas was so cool. Question- did it take Nightwish 70 minutes to start after Sabaton? It did in Denver. We had to wait an hour, than listen to 5-10 minutes of ambient music. So much standing. Did they play The Greatest Show on Earth? It's a 25 minute song and they played it here. Delain was nice too.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
That actually makes it a lot more gay.

I'm not sure if you're either trolling at this point, or if you're a 12 year old elitist homophobe. Either way if all you can come up is calling something gay than I'll just start ignoring you from this point on.
My Gear:
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
Quote by symphonicspeed
Nice review! I saw them at the Denver show and Sabaton too gave his shades to a 10 year old girl in the balcony. The crowed cheered more for Sabaton than Nightwish.

Nightwish is my favorite band and I take heavy influence from them, so being 20ft from Tuomas was so cool. Question- did it take Nightwish 70 minutes to start after Sabaton? It did in Denver. We had to wait an hour, than listen to 5-10 minutes of ambient music. So much standing. Did they play The Greatest Show on Earth? It's a 25 minute song and they played it here. Delain was nice too.
That's awesome, I'm glad you enjoyed the show too!
It only took them 20 minutes to start playing after Sabayon's set. Yep, they did play Greatest Show on Earth.
Quote by symphonicspeed

I waited a ton for Nightwish too, but it was 30 minutes at most. They played parts of Greatest Show On Earth. You know how the song can be pretty much divided up into several different parts? They would play an older song, then play a part of it, and then play another song. And then I think they ended with one of the final parts of GSOE, which was a nice way of ending it.
My Gear:
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
Quote by Domguy99
I'm not sure if you're either trolling at this point, or if you're a 12 year old elitist homophobe. Either way if all you can come up is calling something gay than I'll just start ignoring you from this point on.

But see you can be a homosexual without being a gay pussy metal guy
Quote by NABEF9
That's awesome, I'm glad you enjoyed the show too!
It only took them 20 minutes to start playing after Sabayon's set. Yep, they did play Greatest Show on Earth.

I would've killed to only wait 20 minutes;p. I did make a couple trips to the merch tables so that helped with the waiting(:
Quote by Domguy99
I waited a ton for Nightwish too, but it was 30 minutes at most. They played parts of Greatest Show On Earth. You know how the song can be pretty much divided up into several different parts? They would play an older song, then play a part of it, and then play another song. And then I think they ended with one of the final parts of GSOE, which was a nice way of ending it.

Now that you mentioned that, I think they did that in Denver. It was honestly hard to tell when they switched songs though (I think they played it right after Ever Dream). I was so happy they played Stargazers. Honestly, for GSOE, the keyboard solo around the 8-9 minute mark is all I needed to hear;p.

Tuomas is my music idol. You know how Eric Clapton, The Beatles, Metallica, Van Halen, etc. are idols for guitar players/bands? That's how it is with Nightwish and me! Quick funny-ish story: I bought the EFMB tour shirt for 30$ at the show, then a week later I went into a Hot Topic (I work at one, I went to a different one in the region), and they had the same EFMB shirt (without the tour dates I think) and I could've gotten for less than half of 30$! I had been pestering the managers about getting Nightwish (and other symphonic metal) shirts since November:p They also have Epica, Sonata Arctica, and Leaves Eyes. While I would've saved some money, I'm glad to support NW. I'm planning on buying all the cd's and dvd'd of NW soon(:

Anywho, I'd love to talk more about NW with you and the OP since not everyone wants to hear me ramble on them
Oh I recently (10 minutes ago) discovered a band some fans of NW might like: Arkona. They are a metal, symphonic/keyboard band. They have screams as well, along with cleans. My favorite part of them is that they are Russian. Being Russian myself, I tend to appreciate Russian and other European bands a lot. They do sing in Russian. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou2V5NrcE_M
That's their fifth album, what I've been listening to and what got me into them.
Quote by symphonicspeed
Now that you mentioned that, I think they did that in Denver. It was honestly hard to tell when they switched songs though (I think they played it right after Ever Dream). I was so happy they played Stargazers. Honestly, for GSOE, the keyboard solo around the 8-9 minute mark is all I needed to hear;p.

Tuomas is my music idol. You know how Eric Clapton, The Beatles, Metallica, Van Halen, etc. are idols for guitar players/bands? That's how it is with Nightwish and me! Quick funny-ish story: I bought the EFMB tour shirt for 30$ at the show, then a week later I went into a Hot Topic (I work at one, I went to a different one in the region), and they had the same EFMB shirt (without the tour dates I think) and I could've gotten for less than half of 30$! I had been pestering the managers about getting Nightwish (and other symphonic metal) shirts since November:p They also have Epica, Sonata Arctica, and Leaves Eyes. While I would've saved some money, I'm glad to support NW. I'm planning on buying all the cd's and dvd'd of NW soon(:

Anywho, I'd love to talk more about NW with you and the OP since not everyone wants to hear me ramble on them

I bought that exclusive tour shirt for $20, with the name of the venue and date and everything. The only downside is that the front side of it is the same as the shirt that I got with my preorder of EFMB.

Anyway Emppu happens to be to me what Tuomas is to you. Back when he played with that power metal flair all the way up to now where he plays more rhythm oriented kind of stuff, I'm pretty influenced by all of that. Though those moments when both Tuomas and Emppu would play their parts and back each other up, that was always great.

I was really happy to hear Stargazers and Walking In The Air. I'm a huge fan of everything from AFF all the way to Once, and then I never got that same feeling listening to DPP or Imaginarium, but EFMB is getting me back on track with Nightwish.
My Gear:
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
They had the venue shirt as well, but yeah. Yeah I wish Emppu had more intense solos and riffs. With the 3 recent albums, the riffs start to blend together and sound too similar (also due to writing in the same key). Amaranth got me into NW, but Imaginaerum made me fall in love with them. Songs like Scaretale, Storytime, and Last Ride of the Day. I'm still trying to get into DPP. Right now, I really love Once and Oceanborn, and of course EFMB. Off the latest album, I really like the first and last track, Alpenglow, and Weak Fantasy.
I'm a guitar player too (but keys/piano are my main) and an Emppu signature guitar would be cool! He's been playing it for years, and NW has sold 8 million albums so they are popular enough.
Amaranth was the first Nightwish song I ever heard, but what really got me into Nightwish to the point of becoming an instant fan was when I heard Nemo. Tarja's just the best. But Floor's great too. Anette was just lacking a bit for me.

And 10/10 would buy an Emppu sig.
My Gear:
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
Quote by theogonia777

Who should we see... you? WTF have you ever done? When you write something as good as Bless the Child we'll listen.
^Who is this person?

I saw Rotting Christ, Watain, and Mayhem last night my brethren, and I have seen the future. It is bleak and plague ridden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0FWs74UQzA
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Page 1 of 2