Hey guys, quick question here:

I've been working on a project lately and have encountered some difficulties when tracking certain riffs in a song. My room is pretty small and definitely not acoustically treated, so I've been close-micing to try to minimize the reflections I'm getting. Actually, the room ambiance isn't that big of a problem.

My biggest problem is that I've had a lot of difficulty double or triple tracking certain "wall of sound" type riffs (this is a black metal song). I'm tracking with a pretty loud volume, as that's where my 6505+ sounds the best. But it's very difficult when laying down a second track because I can't always hear when I've made a chord change on the playback and I get out of sync with the original track.

My thinking is that maybe I should try putting a blanket over my cab and mic stand (or even a sleeping bag -- to try to minimize the room noise so I can hear my tracks through the headphones better without having to turn up the monitor to ear-shattering levels. An added benefit could be that it minimizes room reverb. Anyway, I like to add in reverb through my DAW afterword -- it's easier to control that way.

What do you guys think?
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
If you can put the amp in a separate room where it's isolated a bit, do that and just monitor the DAW input.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by bloodandempire
Vypyrs have direct outs why dont you just record it without ANY of the room ambience

I'm not using my Vypyr except for cleans. And my 6505+ has a direct out as well. The one time I tried using my 6505's direct out, it sounded like SHIT. That's why I'm not using them.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
at loud volumes a blanked wont help you really much.
you can try lifting the cab from the ground, it will help with phase and noise issues.

and i'm not sure, but is the direct out on a 6505 with a cab emulation?
because if it isn't, you'll need to load some kind of emulation in your DAW.
Quote by oneblackened
If you can put the amp in a separate room where it's isolated a bit, do that and just monitor the DAW input.
Or you could try and put the amp so that it faces the opposite direction of you.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Reamping might do the trick as well or iso headphones. There are Vic Firth drummer headphones that will pretty much kill the sound of the room for around $50. There are better like Beyer DT770 but they cost quite a bit more.
Quote by oneblackened

This. Put the amp out in the hallway or in the next room or whatever. Run your guitar cable and the mic to the next room and shut the door(s) as much as you can.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
This. Put the amp out in the hallway or in the next room or whatever. Run your guitar cable and the mic to the next room and shut the door(s) as much as you can.

CT

Also an option: If you have a Mesa Cab Clone or a Suhr Reactive Load or something similar you can use that as a loadbox and use IRs for cab modeling, or if you like the sound of the analog modeling on the Mesa then use that.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.