I am about to purchase a second hand 6505+ combo and I have question after ttesting it out in the shop:

I loved the sound and it was exactly what I want, but I noticed there is a fair amount of noise on the rhythm and lead channel (didn't try the clean). I dismissed this at the time as something you have to deal with when using high gain amps like this but since then ive been wondering if this is normal? I notice it changes with the amount of gain that is set but didnt completely disappear when all the strings were muted with my hand like I would have expected.

I'll be buying the amp from a shop and have been offered it at a knock down price of £200 due to certain circumstances, so I am eager to get it in the jam room and get it blasting.

What do you guys think, is noise expected with these amps or is it faulty somehow? If faulty is there a fix?

Advice appreciated.

lodgi
Just to add, this is 50hz type hum, not a dodgy valve type hum, but is fairly loud compared to my other (non high gain) amps.
That's just what they do. A Boss NS-2 setup with the 4-cable method will completely eliminate that noise.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
The MXR Smart Gate or ISP Decimator won't chop off the high end of your tone like the NS-2 does; although I am unfamiliar with the "4 cable method" so perhaps that is something that fixes that problem?
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
most likely it's normal if your using a single coil guitar , especially if your in single coil mode since there is no hum cancelling at all ..... shouldn't be too loud with humbuckers ........ the noise gate is a solution for sure
Quote by Fumble fingers
most likely it's normal if your using a single coil guitar , especially if your in single coil mode since there is no hum cancelling at all ..... shouldn't be too loud with humbuckers ........ the noise gate is a solution for sure

Well I tested the amp with a Gibson les Paul standard so it was with humbuckers.
Quote by BV-95
The MXR Smart Gate or ISP Decimator won't chop off the high end of your tone like the NS-2 does; although I am unfamiliar with the "4 cable method" so perhaps that is something that fixes that problem?

I get no high-end loss with my NS-2 whatsoever. If anything, it boosts the signal slightly and makes it a tad brighter. 4-Cable method simply allows the pedal to gate the guitar/any pedals before the amp input AND gate the preamp at the same time (where all the noise comes from in a 6505). I think people who claim "tone suck" in reference to the Ns-2 are all smoking crack.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
+3.1415 to the "its normal"

they are just really noisy amps.

i haven't ever put a NS-2 against an ISP, but i remember liking my ISP better when i had it . its just opinion.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/