I recently upgraded from a fender mustang to a tube amp, and I've been slowly getting pedals. First I got a reverb, a TC Hall of Fame. It sounded damn good in the store, and I found it for $100: much cheaper than anything else. I've been very happy with the quality and sounds of it, and now that I'm looking to get a delay pedal I immediately checked out the flashback. It certainly seems like another great pedal, but I wanted to compare my options. I've been looking at catalinbread, seymour duncan, mxr, boss, and digitech as well. All of these cost under $200 and seem like great choices, so I'd like to limit my budget to that. Unfortunately my local store only has some of these, so I can't test them all out. I'm going through all the youtube videos I can find, but its not making my decision any easier. Naturally I'm going to test the pedal before I buy it, I just want to get a sense of which pedals I should seriously consider.

To those with a delay: do you find you like and use different delay settings, or is a single type sufficient for everything you need? I really like catalinbread pedals, but I don't know if the versatility of the TC would be better suited for my bedroom player status.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
how you use it is up to you completely. personally i tend to use delay to fatten up my leads so it's pretty much set and forget (adjusted for room if playing live). many others may want slap back for one song and a long delay for the next song so need the ability to have multiple settings.

currently i'm using a Lovepedal Gen 5 but i don't think those are made any more. the digitech hardwire delay is nice.
I use a boss dd3 at 2 settings. A slapback and a bit longer, subtle one for leads. Im not playing out right now, so switching between them is no problem, but when I do I will buy another delay. The dd3 is a great delay, if you want digital. However, you may want to check out the dd5 or 7 too.
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
Sorry, there's going to be a fifteen minute wait until I can discuss that pedal.
I like the Flashback, but I've heard alot of good things about I think its called the Aquapuss recently.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I like strymon delays, and definitely use a wide range of delay tones/settings but I'm a delay junkie.

I don't like the flashback because it doesn't self oscillate, if that's not important to you it's a great sounding little pedal though.

If you want analog I like the malekko ekko for ~$150, or something like a memory man if that's your budget.
If you want digital, I recommend the flashback at ~$150, or strymons if you have the money.

I know your budget is ~$200, but looking at the more expensive pedals will give you an idea of what features you'll miss out on with the cheaper pedals.

For absolute budget, I actually quite like the biyang Time Machine, it's a nice sounding little digital delay. The boss dd3 is also quite nice and available pretty cheap used. I love the ibanez de7 (discontinued). I brought mine for under $40 and love it.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Apr 26, 2015,
I have a Flashbacks (two in fact...) and can totally recommend it, especially if you're not sure and would like to try out different delays. It does everything great and is very reliable.
If you're not sure what kind of delay sound you are after, try a digital delay like the Flashback.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
The Line 6 Echo Park is a nice little inexpensive delay. And their Verbzilla is likewise for reverb.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'd go with the Flashback or a Line 6 DL8, just cause they have a looper function, sound great, have multiple dely options, and cost very little for all you get.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
i love my malekko 616 and my malekko 616 lo-fi. they are awesome. TB/BBP option, modulation with speed and depth, can go on or off. 650ms of delay.

they are sweet. i got the 616 for $110 and the lo-fi for $80, and i absolutely love them. look around for a good price.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/