Hey guys

Many times in my life ive wished to learn to play guitar, if i had stuck with it when i first wanted to then id have been awesome at it by now...

nether the less, ive reached that point again and i really want a plan i can commit to.

Last time i tried to follow 'JustinGuitar' videos on youtube but it got boring and i quit.

This time round im asking the people who know, whats the best route?

I have a les paul black beauty thats been on my wall for 2 years, and no amp. A little bit of time and a long lasting longing to be able to be atleast a little decent.

I love pop punk and its mostly non difficult songs id like to play, falloutboy, blink, taking back sunday, all that kinda thing. But really, i dont have the dexterity, accuracy or direction to get there....

Appreciate any help!
takes some commitment and it's hard at first.

get a little amp to use for practice. learn some basic chords and start putting them together then at least you can play something. don't beat yourself up becasue you don't play like a superstar after a month (we get plenty f guys here that do). realize that playing guitar will take time and you will SUCK to begin with. dexterity and accuracy once again come with practice and time (you starting to see a pattern here?). you have to supply the direction and th desire. don't try to do to much at once pick something and stick with it til you have it down reasonably well. yes this can be boring.
Get an amp.
Learn to make a power chord. You can use that shape anywhere on the EADG strings. Rock out.

So if you put your pinky and ring finger on the 2nd fret of the A and D strings then you can strum the first three strings (EAD) and get the first chord of "Sad but true". Then you move that shape down one fret (to the third fret) and add the pointer finger on the E string at the first fret. Now you've got the second chord of the song.

You can just keep moving that shape around. It'll give you instant gratification. It's also not quite as simple as it sounds. When you move that shape over to the ADG strings you'll learn that the chord sounds like crap any time you let the E string ring out, so you'll understand why you need to be able to mute that string. (There's different ways to do it, but you should try a few ways on your own)

If that's too simple, then try this:
Make a D chord, strum. Hold the shape, but add your pinky finger to the third fret of the e string and strum again. That's abother type of D chord. Then remove the pinky finger and pointer finger and strum yet again. Another D chord. These are called DSus2 and DSus4 btw. The Sus (suspended) chords want to resolve to a D. So you can alternate between those three easy shapes and as long as you finish with a D it'll sound like you know what you're doing.

Last method: buy Rocksmith. Rocksmith does a pretty good job at introducing the basic concepts.
Go to justin guitar start off with his beginners course starting with the D chord,
Then the A chord and E chord, don't worry about learning songs.
Just watch and partice these 3 chords its going to take a few days to weeks, its not easy.
In about a month to 2 your muscle memory will build up and the chords will come easy,
Iam learning 5 months I know 8 chords and know parts of songs.
Learning guiatr will take. Year or so just keep It,partice 30 mins a day
And put rubbing alcohol on your fretting finger tips u will get calluses faster
most of the players I love to listen to and watch didn't fall out of bed
one morning and decide to be amazing without ever playing a note
it does take a decision on your part if you really are committed enough
to practice regularly and properly to make some real effort it isn't really
hard just very slow to begin with but only you can do it if you really want to
and you really do need some basic skills to play anything let alone stuff you really want to
don't ever give up and you will make progress
Being "awesome" at guitar takes serious commitment. You have to ask yourself are you really prepared to commit yourself to the instrument for years to come and potentially for the rest of your life. Realize that while there is a start to playing guitar, you will never ever reach the finish.
Quote by vayne92
Being "awesome" at guitar takes serious commitment. You have to ask yourself are you really prepared to commit yourself to the instrument for years to come and potentially for the rest of your life. Realize that while there is a start to playing guitar, you will never ever reach the finish.

totally agree. i've been playing for well over 30 years at this point and i'm far from "awesome". any instrument is a commitment and takes time to get even ok at.
Quote by monwobobbo
totally agree. i've been playing for well over 30 years at this point and i'm far from "awesome". any instrument is a commitment and takes time to get even ok at.

If I were back at day 1 and saw myself playing now I would think I'm awesome, but your perspective on what is awesome always changes. It evolves, in fact. Change wouldn't be the right word.
I don't think any guitarist is ever satisfied with themselves. No matter how good you may be, you can always be better.
Last edited by vayne92 at Apr 27, 2015,
Quote by vayne92
If I were back at day 1 and saw myself playing now I would think I'm awesome, but your perspective on what is awesome always changes. It evolves, in fact. Change wouldn't be the right word.
I don't think any guitarist is ever satisfied with themselves. No matter how good you may be, you can always be better.

yeah i'm my own worst critic for sure. having said that i don't have any dillusions on my playing skills. i know i can play and sometimes it's good. i'll never be a "guitar hero" and that's fine. i try to get better every time i play and that's all any of us can do.

i think a big key to success is to not put any unrealistic expectations on my self. i see to many guys that after a couple of years of playing get upset because they aren't "awesome".
Never tell yourself you can't do something. I wasted several years of my life because I assumed I would never be able to do certain things that are elementary for me now. There are still things that appear unattainable, but I refuse to let myself think I'll never be able to do them, because I have realized the importance of proper practice and until proven otherwise, I will think I can do anything with enough practice.
Quote by jlowe22
I assumed I would never be able to do certain things that are elementary for me now.

There are certainly things you'll encounter as a beginner that seem impossible. A few years down the line you'll be playing some of those things in your sleep
Quote by jlowe22
Never tell yourself you can't do something. I wasted several years of my life because I assumed I would never be able to do certain things that are elementary for me now. There are still things that appear unattainable, but I refuse to let myself think I'll never be able to do them, because I have realized the importance of proper practice and until proven otherwise, I will think I can do anything with enough practice.

while i don't disagree with what you are saying i'll use a quote from Dirty Harry "a Man's Got To Know His Limitations". i agree that you shouldn't stop trying but at times you also have to get real. all the practice in the world won't make me as fast as say Michael Angelo Batio. i tried for years to do the super shred thing and failed. no shame in that but at some point you do have to realize that perhaps you weren't meant for that. i did and it made me a much happier player. it was at that point that i started to really look at my playing skills and examine who i was as a player. when i started to write songs in a more natural relaxed way i found that i had somewhat different things to say on the guitar than what i had tried to push myself into.
Quote by monwobobbo
while i don't disagree with what you are saying i'll use a quote from Dirty Harry "a Man's Got To Know His Limitations". i agree that you shouldn't stop trying but at times you also have to get real. all the practice in the world won't make me as fast as say Michael Angelo Batio. i tried for years to do the super shred thing and failed. no shame in that but at some point you do have to realize that perhaps you weren't meant for that. i did and it made me a much happier player. it was at that point that i started to really look at my playing skills and examine who i was as a player. when i started to write songs in a more natural relaxed way i found that i had somewhat different things to say on the guitar than what i had tried to push myself into.

Yes but, I don't think you can know your limitations without years of good practice under your belt. Certainly a beginner has no idea of their limitations. I've been playing for 13 years, and I can't imagine not getting better in another 13. Even if speed-wise i'm close to my peak now, there are many other things to improve on, be it slap style, classical fingerpicking, improvisation, or whatever else I choose to do. A beginner shouldn't rule out any of this and should believe anything is possible, with also the knowledge the hard work and dedication is required.
First, find out what it is EXACTLY that you want to be able to play and get an experienced teacher to explain to you what it would take to get there - just to make sure you´re starting off on the wrong foot, with crazy expectations - like wanting to play like Buckethead with 30 mins practice time per day. It´s not going to happen.
One of the most difficult things then is to have an accurate plan on how to EXACTLY reach your goals and focus on these elements 100% without getting distracted by the ocean of information all around you (not easy to do). An experienced teacher can also save you a lot of time, trial and error in this case - not easy to find though...
Good players, yes - great teachers - few and far between...

Best Wishes!
I am in the same boat as you. After years of playing songs at half speed you feel disheartened. Having not played for a year i find i am more determined than ever. Stop wasting my life playing footy manager haha
I suggest you forget thinking "I want to play like or sound like (fill in the blank)". The goal is to learn to play and that may be as boring and uninteresting as learning to play "Mary Had A little Lamb", practicing scales and moving from one chord to the next till you can do it smoothly. The goal is to learn to play. That's the bottom line. If you expect to play like (fill in another blank) you will constantly disappoint yourself with unrealistic expectations. Play because you love to play not because you want to sound like or play like anyone else, that will cause you to take shortcuts because you won't see the bigger picture and you will limit yourself to a certain style and sound.

Accept that it will take time and the more time you invest in playing the faster you will become a decent player. My best advice is don't skip the basics. You'll regret it later when you have to unlearn the short cuts you took. Most of all enjoy it. You will progress at your own level so don't get discouraged.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at May 4, 2015,
Quote by Rickholly74
I suggest you forget thinking "I want to play like or sound like (fill in the blank)". The goal is to learn to play and that may be as boring and uninteresting as learning to play "Mary Had A little Lamb", practicing scales and moving from one chord to the next till you can do it smoothly. The goal is to learn to play. That's the bottom line. If you expect to play like (fill in another blank) you will constantly disappoint yourself with unrealistic expectations. Play because you love to play not because you want to sound like or play like anyone else, that will cause you to take shortcuts because you won't see the bigger picture and you will limit yourself to a certain style and sound.

Accept that it will take time and the more time you invest in playing the faster you will become a decent player. My best advice is don't skip the basics. You'll regret it later when you have to unlearn the short cuts you took. Most of all enjoy it. You will progress at your own level so don't get discouraged.

well put and very accurate. years ago a guy i really respected playing wise told me "you'll never get rich or recognized for sounding like someone else". took those words to heart and always tried to play like me and have my own style. drove my guitar teacher nuts cuz i didn't just want to learn songs so he actually had to come up with new stuff every week.

everyone wants to be able to play their fav songs but having the tools to figure them out on your own is even better. having the ability to compose your own material is the best.
I think the most fun way to start learning is to learn songs that you want to play. Obviously start with songs you like that are at a beginner level.

That being said, there is still a lot to be learned in technique alone. So it's good to watch tutorials on YouTube when it comes to hand position, finger position, posture, strumming technique, picking technique, and so on. Just to make sure you aren't learning a bad habit.
Get a good personal instructor. I wish I had a more eloquent answer for you but really thats the best advice in my opinion. Some people pick it up very quickly and are able to get past the beginner stages quickly on their own. Others take more hands on guidance. If you've been at it for quite some time on your own and aren't feeling like you're making progress, then you need to have someone show you what to focus on. They'll be able to recognize your weaknesses and provide direction. I know it'll be expensive. But you really only need to be pointed in the right direction. A few months of instruction will make a huge difference.

I've got a few friends into playing. But they never bothered with a teacher of any kind. It's easy to go about playing the wrong way and develop bad techniques that hinder further progress and are hard to unlearn.
1) Find a song you like that you want to learn
2) Find a tab for the song
3) Identify what techniques you need to know or get advice from others
4) If it's too difficult, go back to step 1
5) If not, start practicing
Start with simple songs that you like? Practice for a humble say, 30 min everyday and SLOWLY work up to a longer period of time. Whatever you plan to do, do not rush into EVERYTHING. Take things alittle each time. Just remember to choose songs that you love and start learning. You will get to cover the techniques as you go along.
I'm reminded of that scene from Eddie and the Cruisers Part 2 (Eddie Lives) where he goes to jam with a guitar player who lays into a solo full of hammer on's and Floyd bends and pick squealing. All technically impressive. When he gets done Eddie says, "Not bad....If I was in a club and heard you play it would be nice, then I'd walk out and forget about it". Then Eddie plays a very nice melodic lead over the same track and the difference is very obvious.

(I have always thought Eddie and the Crusiser's Part 2 was a great musicians movie that means more to players than the general public who won't get many of the subtle music references.)
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at May 7, 2015,
Quote by Rickholly74
I'm reminded of that scene from Eddie and the Cruisers Part 2 (Eddie Lives) where he goes to jam with a guitar player who lays into a solo full of hammer on's and Floyd bends and pick squealing. All technically impressive. When he gets done Eddie says, "Not bad....If I was in a club and heard you play it would be nice, then I'd walk out and forget about it". Then Eddie plays a very nice melodic lead over the same track and the difference is very obvious.

(I have always thought Eddie and the Crusiser's Part 2 was a great musicians movie that means more to players than the general public who won't get many of the subtle music references.)

never saw that but have to check it out. i always try to balance the flash with the substance when doing solos. very true though that often people can't remeber a super flash solo but they know a very melodic one cuz they can hum it.