Hello everyone,

I am just trying to learn how to play the guitar and am in a market for a decent one that is not too bad, but also is not too overpriced.

I am looking at a mid-300 used Fender Special Edition Lonestar and a new $300 Squire Deluxe Strat, but was really torn between which one to get.

Which do you guys think is better for a beginner, taking into consideration the ease of play and also a potential resale value in the future.

If you have any other suggestions for a starter, that'd be great. Body shape or music style, I am really open. I just want to get the best bang for the buck in Los Angeles with about $300.

Thanks!
Last edited by AOGN at Apr 26, 2015,
Lonestar, by far. 300 is a good price for that guitar and it's a great one to learn on. Resale will be higher than the squier as well.

In general, used guitars are a much better deal than new, and this case is no exception.
I've only played one Lonestar Strat (the other guitarist in my band had one) and I'm not big on strats, but it wasn't anything special. That said, you can probably always resell it for the same or maybe more if you're lucky down the road if it's not what you want.

It did play well, but it sounded very "meh". There was never a moment where it sounded amazing in my opinion. Bear in mind that a pickup change probably could've done a lot and that a beginner probably won't be able to blindly pick a Fender American Standard (or even a CS for that matter) from a Squier Affinity series, so I wouldn't worry too much about the "meh" sound.

The other consideration might be that you get the Squier Deluxe used and save some money. What are your plans regarding an amplifier? That will define your sound more than your guitar will and buying a crap amp to begin with won't inspire you as much as getting a good practice amp from the beginning.

Also, you'd really help us out if you defined more on style of music you're wishing to play. Being open to genres is all good, but some choices might hold you back for certain styles more than others will. If you know someone that already plays, ask to go to a store together and find out the differences in sound between a strat and a les paul, for instance. The character of the sound is vastly different.

And get a feel for the shapes yourself. You don't have to play it, just hold it, sit with it, maybe stand with it. Only you can decide what feels natural and comfortable to you. If a guitar doesn't feel natural and comfortable, you will not want to play it a lot.