Here's one I can't find an easy answer to:

Some Dual Rectifiers (3-channel, 100w) have "100 Watt" in the logo on the front panel.

Others (also 3-channel, 100w) have "Solo Head" instead of "100 Watt" in the same area of the logo.

What's the difference?
"Dual Rectifier" was originally a marketing thing meant to call attention to amps that featured two rectifiers. At one point there was a Dual Rectifier Maverick, Dual Rectifier Blue Angel, Dual Rectifier Solo Head and a Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb.

Since "Dual Rectifier Solo Head" is a lot to say people shortened it to just "Dual Rectifier", then to "Rectifier", then to "Recto". The other amps were simplified further to just Maverick, Blue Angel, T-Verb, etc.

It stayed that way until Mesa updated the Recto to the Multi-Watt version, which is when they dropped "Solo Head" and started using 100w. The change is probably to play into their current marketing (Mini-Recto Twenty Five, Mini-Rectoverb 25, Dual Recto 100w Head, Triple Recto 150w Head).

Last edited by some_dude_2 at Apr 26, 2015,
Yep, just compared some pics and the one with "Solo Head" in the logo doesn't have the 50w/100w switch. Cool.
talk to ippon. he knows his mesas. he is a mesa hoarder. .

you probably know this, but the single rec doesn't have a tube rectifier and is 50watts. the dual and triple have tube rectifiers, and have 100 and 150 watts respectively.

the three channels are IMO the worst.

i have a tremoverb and love it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

the three channels are IMO the worst.

what is the difference between ??... sound ?? ... besides the obvious 2 vs 3 channel ..... I was also curious about all the different recto's , which you answered
Quote by Fumble fingers
what is the difference between ??... sound ?? ... besides the obvious 2 vs 3 channel ..... I was also curious about all the different recto's , which you answered

from my experience they are more fizzy and a little more muddy. you think there wouldn't be a big difference, but there really is.

i had the fortunate experience of having two dual recs (used) at GC next to each other, one being a 2ch and the other a 3ch. i had them both running into the same cab. the three channel, as i said was really fizzy, especially on the third channel. the cleans were nicer on the 2ch as well. that was before i owned my tremoverb. i was lucky that i demo'd those that day, because i was considering picking up a 3ch off of RT at the time. thinking that they would be similar, but i am glad i didn't, because they are not nearly as good. i love my tremoverb though, however i a really curious to see it A/B'd with a normal 2ch dual rec. i like the cleans better and the top channel (can't remember which color) has a very nice midgain almost djent sound to it.

if you want a rec, i really love the tremoverb. i don't use the tremolo ever , but i love it. IIRC i paid $760 for the head in really nice shape. total steal, just got lucky.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/